MPOST is an innovative virtual postal address system that uses the mobile phone as the postal address for letter delivery also dubbed Posta Mkononi
How MPOST works;
Once a user registers for the service, they choose the most convenient post office (out of the 622 Post offices across Kenya) where they can receive their letters/documents. Once a letter is received by the PCK, an SMS will be sent to the user, notifying them that they have received mail (letters/documents). The user then has a choice of walking to the post office to collect the documents or ask that Posta delivers them to their house/office/different location at an extra fees. This service costs KES 300 per year unlike owning a physical P.O. Box that costs KES 2,300 per year
How to register for MPOST:
- Send an sms with the words MPOST to 40777
- You will receive an SMS asking for your name. Respond with your name as it is on your ID card
- Next enter your ID card number or your passport number
- You will receive an SMS notification confirming your registration.
- Next enter the code of the post office nearest you where you would like to be picking your letters/documents e.g e.g. “00100 – GPO” or “00200 – City Square” (See table of all postal codes in Kenya on the Timpata here)
- Complete registration by making a payment of KES 300 via M-PESA paybill number 506500. Account number is your name as you entered above.