With a CS and Maths degree, think about entering the data analysis and statistics world. Learn Python, R, SPSS, Stata and go from there, I can assure you huwezi kosa job. The secret to today's world is SKILLS, SKILLS, SKILLS. Then start applying for jobs like this:
Research Officer -Statistics/ Epidemiology
Statistics and Epidemiology
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is one of the leading research centres in Africa. The Programme engages in a wide range of research on the main causes of ill health in Africa.
In addition, KWTRP has a strong commitment towards developing local research leadership. Most of the capacity building activities at KWTRP are managed through the Initiative to Develop African Research Leaders (IDeAL) with funding from the Wellcome Trust and DFID. The aim of IDeAL is to strengthen research capacity in Africa through research training schemes ranging from attachments for school leavers and undergraduates, Postgraduate Diploma, Masters, PhD studentships and postdoctoral fellowships.
To undertake statistical / epidemiological analysis of diverse health data from surveys, census, DSS and routine data collection systems as directed by supervisors
REPORTS TO: Study
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY:
Responsible for allocated hardware and software
For the Public Health Unit in Nairobi and under the direction of supervisor to:
- Collate, clean and archive data and associated meta-data
- Undertake advanced statistical analysis with appropriate support and appropriately document these analyses
- Propose new approaches of analysing existing datasets within the research team
- Develop written reports on the analyses conducted and their interpretation
- Develop peer-reviewed manuscript quality reports for submission for publication
- To provide teaching / support in analysis to less experienced research staff / interns / collaborators
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Master’s in medical Statistics, Applied Statistics, Statistics or Applied Mathematics, Public Health and Epidemiology or equivalent.
- Degree in relevant field
- 3-year experience in similar position with demonstrated research experience
- Demonstrated research experience, preferably in the health sciences.
- Proven record of quantitative research and analytical skills along with advanced research experience in data analysis and/or statistical methods.
- Experience of and demonstrated success in modelling using at least one of the following programming languages: Stata, and R.
- Experience in Geo Spatial Modelling is an added advantage
- Skills/ qualifications in ICT would be an additional advantage.
- Keen interest in research
- Good understanding of application of statistical methods in health research
- Experience in use of STATA and / or ‘R’ for analysis of health data.
- Be mathematically astute and have well-developed capacity to articulate approaches to analysis and clarity of thought
- Have high energy, clear goal orientation and strong work ethics
- Strong organisation skills with the ability to prioritise workloads and work within tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment and to multi-task
- Ability to interact with users/ office use in simple non-technical language