2014 BMW X1 E84

:D:D:D:D:D… upuss Mingi in this thread ,try maintaining a Japanese car with OEM parts vs a German cars and you shall understand why German cars are clear Winner s.

This boy asked a question but is so arrogant when answered. Kijana, sikiza wazee or just go buy whatever you want hata kama ni farasi without asking questions you don’t want answers to

Too entry level for my liking. Alafu X1 is a confused car which is not sure whether it’s a crossover or a hatchback

You strike me as a cocky fella, but pls note there’s a very thing line between arrogance and confidence.

@tyler123 i’d take the advice above. A 2014 X1 is around 2.2m…in that price range you have so many options and choices…CX5, Honda Vezzel, Forester, Outback etc

Buy the Bimmer if you can…but ensure you only go for the OEM parts. I have a 2014 bmw 528i and I’ve not had any issues though. Servicing is done by Inchcape (65K major service including Spark Plugs). Ensure you service the transmission. The 8 speed is very reliable, only use original ZF oil. Transmission service cost is around 240K (including the gearbox pan) but you only service at 100K intervals. Much more reliable than a DSG. S drive is rear wheel drive, more fun but less grip and you can get stuck in areas with bad terrain (why would you though). I’d go for the xdrive if you can afford it…don’t believe the horror stories, just don’t go for shortcuts

Sasa… kuspend 65k major service na 240k for transmission service… si hio pekee ni horror story??

Buying a used European vehicle while on a budget and you ain’t a DIY guy is the stupidest thing a man can do. We can go back and forth on this but hata wewe unajua ni ukweli.

Come back in after 2022 elections and tell us your experience. 2014 is a 7 year old car which most people are currently buying or importing. Give yourself 1.5 years and you will have lost over 1.5 million bob in service, maintenance, insurance and depreciation. If the car is on loan you will have lost 2 million bob.

Exactly, most young people are in denial. They prioritize the fun drive experience and fail to do the maths. These European cars set someone back big time.

Insurance for a 2M Eurpoean car: 80k per year
Service per year: 20k x 3 = 60k on the lower side
Unexpected Maintenance = 100k per year on the lower side
Kawaida maintenance(tyres, battery) = 40k per year on the lower side. Already you are paying almost 400k per year on a German car, then some stupid fellas takes a loan for the car so interest is like 160k per year. If u add depreciation of these German cars you easily lose over 1M annually and that is if ur lucky. These BMWs lazima zikukule 100k unexpected maintenance per year sijui water pump, sijui camshaft sensor, sijui oxygen sensor, sijui weka kwa computer tusome error code and premium labour.

Hehe, na unapata jamaa ni tenant and also an employee earning < 200k per month.

I have an Aunty who sold her reliable Toyots Fortuna to get a BMW X5. I asked why she did that. Akasema oh ati safety stuff. Wadau…makosha!!! That car has fuckèd her like never before. First the engine went. She had to spend an equivalent of a Toyota car to replace the engine. Next sijui dere aligonga nini huko chini kwa gear box. Transfer case or something. Gari ikawasha warning lights kwa dashboard ungefikiria ni xmas tree lights. Kidogo kidogo Alternator ikachapa. Buying it locally was so expensive wadau…she had to park the junk for over a month as she waited for an imported part to arrive. Meanwhile she was using toyota jallopy as her part came. Kidogo kidogo brakes zikaanza kuleta umama. Hazifanyi kazi at high speed. Akaona huyo gari itamaliza yeye sasa. She called it quits. As we speak iko kwa yard…she wants an arm and a leg for it and she’s wondering why its not selling. Nunua hata Lexus bana. You will get comfort and reliability at the same time

This is one of the reasons I luv Jap cars. Ukitaka s-klasse, basi get the Lexus LS or other Jap equivalent. You will get the same comfort as the S-klasse with the same gadgetry inside but far more reliable and thus cheaper to maintain.

There was a time shindes/beamers were the far better car and were far more reliable than jap cars. My oldman had a w123 and that fucker was the most reliable car he had. Pujot 504 yake needed expensive engine overhaul every 40000kms. Datsun yake was not very reliable etc

But sikuizi its the opposite. Jap cars are far more reliable.

Used European cars are best bought by motoring enthusiasts who naturally love cars and understand them. People who can service them on their own and are comfortable shopping for spares and repairing the cars themselves. Either that or people who are engaged in pilferage at their places of work so don’t mind spending 50k on minor repairs of things their don’t understand.
I say this with bitter memories of a BMW X5 E53 series I bought from a repatriating fellow for a song and a 318i E46 series I bought in my reckless days. Well the cars were fun to drive but most of the time, bonnet lazima ikuwe wazi in addition to a Christmas tree on the dashboard. My brother bought a 2005 Discovery 3 in 2010 which I really enjoyed driving. Fast forward to 2013 after I had “spoken” to some govt officials nikajiona pia mimi ni big man bazuu nikajishikia yangu. Haya ndio masaibu nilipitia nikasema khandi tawe:-
[ol]
[li]The air suspension went out a month after purchase. Replacement parts plus labour came to just below 300k. An Arab in Karen halo karibu na kwa DP “saved” me by doing a coil suspension conversion at 150k,[/li][li]The starter miraculous died on me hapo Galleria Mall nikabebwa na trailer. Total damage including labour and recovery; well over 50k;[/li][li]The gearbox died on me while coming down valley road nikasimamia hapo. Serena. Trailer+gearbox+labour just under 450k,[/li][/ol]
Hapo niliamua kuondokea shida. All this happened in less than a year. Took a big loss on the machine and flipped it to the next idiot at a very huge discount. Retreated back to my dependable Subaru legacy and forester SG5 I bought with part of the proceeds of the sale. Let me not get started on the several occasions the car went into limp mode with restricted performance almost always giving me heart attacks.
What I am saying is, in our young reckless years, we are bound to make endless mistakes. Watu wananunua badge at a premium.

Well said elder. Those cars are comfortable and fun to drive. Plus ziko na alil higher social status but problem is to keep them running on the rd. You have to have deep pockets. They are nice cars when bought brand new…but when the warranty runs out one should drop them off like a hot potato. Zinakuwa money pits.

The issue is not even about having deep pockets. You have to have deep pockets, be an idiot and have a small penis to buy used European cars as your daily driver.

I’m not trying to sell the car so depreciation is a bunch of chap for me. I love driving it and the features are on another level. Anyway I don’t know who buys a second hand German car with resale value in mind. Its about enjoying the simple pleasures that we can’t since our government has to overtax everything. If I was in South Africa I’d buy a newer model but the taxation here is just too much

I hope this makes you feel better about yourself. Problem is if you are employed and rent you tend to think everyone is living your pauper lifestyle. I think you have self esteem issues…and just so you know, I’m a CCIE in Cybersecurity (Google that shit)…making over 10K USD p.m. And I live in Lavington in a house I’ve bought. I’m willing to provide evidence just to show you lanes matter and you’re not in mine

Why do you think all young people are broke though? I think thats more a limitation on your end.

Sp basically you sold it cause you couldn’t afford to maintain it. Meaning you had bitten more than you can chew. OPEX over CAPEX…If you can’t afford to take your car to the authorised dealership for service, only use Vpower fuel or just think of cutting costs…I can see why you would go for a Subaru…I hope you didn’t go for a DIT engine cause it seems that will also overwhelm you uanze kusema gari ni fielder