Abolish all boarding schools.

Abolish all

The problem with Kenyan boarding schools is that they are modeled as prisons or military boot camps, treating teenagers as brainless creatures with no rights, instead of nurturing them into functional adults.

https://www.theelephant.info/reflections/2018/08/30/the-schools-of-fire-and-blood/

What are the titles?

Absolutely true, we way different in music and movie tastes. She doesn’t know about most classic, reggae, famous movies, history ya nchi hana kabisa. There are some basic stuff she’s never heard of, I find it cute though.

I don’t know man me huwa naona she’s very individualistic sometimes it borders pure selfishness :smiley:
I guess being in a boarding school from class 4 to form 4 seriously shapes your communal /individualistic personality traits so namelewa tu

Figure of speech sir

Boarding school ianze in High school. Taking your kid to boarding in primary school is inhuman

I think boarding schools should only be applicable to students year 5/standard 6 and above. I also think National/Regional/County high schools should be done away with. If a child lives next to alliance and isn’t very bright they should be allowed to go to that school. That way we won’t have public schools segregated by academic performance. I also think that all public schools should be under a particular school district. The districts in a county would be funded by the county gov’t and they would then use the funds to renovate and run the schools under the guidance of the PTA and board of management. I’ve also noticed that most first time governors seem to be concentrating on ECDE and TVET institutions, then we have the national/regional/county high schools while private primary schools are cropping up like apartment blocks and Kinyozis. We need to restore sanctity in our educational system. When the Kibaki administration provided free education at the primary level, our schools were flooded with students the institutions couldn’t handle. Devolution has the capability to revitalize our public institutions. It is a shame that some schools don’t even have desks or proper buildings while Counties invest in building these ECDE centers. Don’t you think Primary education is more important than Nursery? I did not intend for this to be a long post but I got carried away.

There is nothing cute about that, imagine we we ni mtu oldskool music alafu yenye ni mtu akina rose muhando so when your both in the house one of you will have to do earphones because you can’t stand each other’s music taste.

People quarrel over this? Doesn’t the world have problems!

The root problem of education in kenya is the colonial system that we have and never seem capable of changing, the policy makers benefit alot from the same and they will never change it - it is designed such that the well to do kids go to the national and extra county schools and the peasant’s kids remain in the local harambee schools.

As mentioned if they just abolish the national schools and the high school categorization and ensure all schools are at similar standards.

The problem with most of you/ us is the mental picture we have of boarding schools. Most of us seem to assume boarding schools are some pathetic place that are unbearable to kids - well, you could be right to some extent and equally as wrong. I went to boarding in class three simply because I wouldn’t manage to commute in the morning. Unlike the usual boarding schools you guys have been conditioned to, in all my primary schools years,
[INDENT][ul]
[li]I never touched a bar soap cleaning clothes let alone folding them. [/li][li]Never hustled with a bucket of water fetching or even had a cold shower[/li][li]Never complained of food quality or portions[/li][li]Enjoyed co-curricular stuff including swimming, watching movies and football matches (watched all France 98 games) things that perhaps most primary school kids at the time never enjoyed.[/li][/ul][/INDENT]
In present day, I’d be hesitant to have my son go through the same because the standards are likley to have depreciated over the years as Kenyans became more money minded and less concerned about quality.

The only negative thing I’d say about my experience with boarding schools is I literally don’t give a fuck about anything and am never cowed by anything which at times makes it difficult to empathize with other people.