Agribusiness.

The answer for your second question is feeds. chicken feeds are expensive especially if you are buying from manufacturers. The trick as @4makind is doing is to source the various components and mix it up yourself.

1 Like

I learnt this the hard way

@pamba and @ Mathaais
I am not knowledgeable about the cage system as we use the deep litter system, however it’s very important to plan well.
[ol]
[li]Ensure that you get chicks that are vaccinated against Mareks disease (this is done at the hatchery)… its one of deadliest killers that attacks chicks when they are just about to start laying and has a mortality rate of 80% and above. You then need to follow up with the other vaccinations …New castle disease, Gumboro, Fowl pox[/li][li]You need to observe bio-security… control access to the farm to staff. No VISITORS…if you break this rule utasema umerogwa coz they will introduce diseases from outside. … use foot baths for all people and vehicles going into the farm.[/li][li]When they start laying you need to instal security cameras and monitor workers closely… wakenya na mayai ni noma…zinafichwa hadi kwa gumboots[/li][li]Prayers!!! We normally pray every night before going to bed and you believe me we don’t forget our chicken in our prayers[/li][/ol]
Capital outlay for the first 6 months (before they start laying)

Chicks…550x 100… 55,000
Banda construction… for 500 chicks the banda should be roughly 1000 square meters… 200,000
Brooding space…150 square feet… 10,000
Electricity for …Kshs 25,000
Chick Mash 1 month)(… 5x 50 kg… 10,0000
Growers 4 months … 45x50 kgs…90,0000
Layers 1 month …5x 50…10,000
2 farm hands… 15,000 per month for 6 months… 90,000
Meds…20,000
Minimum start up capital for 500 chicks …510,000 and I even forgot to include drinkers and feeders (30 feeders and 20 drinkers)

1 Like

Thats a huge space where you can rear more than 1000 layers/kienyeji birds using the deep litter system, and with modifications and innovation you can go up to 3000. For details see my response to @pamba

Thank you Sir for that insightful message

one thing I know for a fact is that you can’t farm remotely, trust me,hasara tupu so I quit my job and sasa ninapanda tomatoes and onions

one thing I know for a fact is that you can’t farm remotely, trust me,hasara tupu so I quit my job and sasa ninapanda tomatoes and onions

@ aviator, there’s also something called horizontal integration. Profits from poultry invested in such a venture will attract bigger economies of scale and of course louder laughter all the way to the bank.

2 Likes

@Mr Black, making your own feeds reduces the costs of production therefore increasing profits. But ensure quality and consistency for each and every batch. No wonder telephone farmers are having it so bad.

minor correction, that is vertical intergration

1 Like

Just to entertain the thought, I want to be a telephone farmer. Which farming can be done thought this method with farm visitations twice a month??? (muchathas ni far)

Short answer, any,long answer,hasara tupu

1 Like

hata kueka ngombe ya beef kaiwesmek??