Another Ghaseer Builds A "Helicopter"

I meant what next in terms of the project. Is flying the contraption the endgame?

8 4 4 fucked ur world view. It never introduced u to the idea of experimentation or innovation. To u, it’s good to stick with what is tested and verified. I ask, what is wrong with experimenting? Although it is difficult to reinvent the wheel, but such small acts can cultivate a culture of innovation and creativity in the long run. Such a culture must start somewhere. Kudos to this guy! @captain obvious

Failure is part of innovation u must know. Again, there is always a learning curve to everything. I know he do better next time. Our culture stigmatises failure, an issue that makes us less innovative.

Well said. These Kenyans have been taught to focus on the prize not the process. They cheer the product not the effort. We need such a hands-on approach to everything. But umesema ukweli watu hapa wanafikiria ngono 24/7 :D. Ujinga tupu.

Real innovation goes hand in hand with utility. If someone want’s to tinker with a useless contraband in his backyard, that’s fine, but that doesn’t make him an innovator. There is absolutely nothing innovative here. Men have been flying helicopters since 1939. If you want to build a copter or even a drone at home, you can easily do it with a bit of research, the blueprint already exists. This contraband has not utility, it doesn’t solve real-world problems, it’s doesn’t make ‘big picture’ sense, and so it doesn’t deserve any press.

There are lots of people doing useful and innovative stuff like Roy Allela’s Smart Gloves. These are are the sorts of people we should be giving the spotlight.

There is no innovation if you are using worse methods and materials than were used by the Wright brothers.
Also its not a learning curve if you skipped the books and went straight to piecing together scrap metal.

A learning is not linear. It does not have to follow the text book definition. I guess he learned something knew. That’s the essence. It will culminate into better knowledge in the long run. Ken, don’t be afraid to do such crazy stuff for product development is not a direct thing.

Innovation is relative, lets take the Chinese as the base for innovation. Yes the EUblock etc were the first to innovate the best of the products, yes they are known for that, but the world is changing because the Chinese were the young man u see in the video who tried to do it themselves. The main difference is the attitude that one is received with once u present yourself as an innovator. Encourage and grow the young mans ideas and u have a gold mine because coming from cendro where a majority are wallowing in alcoholism, expose him to a wider platform and you have something unique. Multiply this and the country will change from a consumer to a producer.
The Chinese and Japanese copied and perfected on this knowledge as the pioneers laughed and mocked them as backward wannabes. As we speak whose laughing now? sales? innovation is coming from those who were mocked.
We have to hone such skills sio kupiga punyeto tu .

In Kenya were are used to copy pasting everything such that if one goes astray, he faces strong opposition. May be he worked with what he had, knowledge and resource-wise. As I said, he will do better next time.

As @Idias has said, every idea grows and matures with commitment. And as one has said, the Chinese were the laughing stock because they making poor items. I u were one of them that used to mock them. What of now? In innovation, there are no stupid or fake ideas, they can all be build.

What did he learn that was not learnt 150 years ago?
That you need enough power to generate thrust and lift?

Africans will continue being bonobos.

His contraption, like every other Kenyan one I’ve seen, does not satisfy the lift equation.

As long as people like you keep cheering mediocrity, Africans will continue being mediocre.

The Chinese weren’t trying to build copters out of scrap metal, they were reverse engineering existing technologies and then creating cheaper products were then sold and made money which was then be channeled to real RD. China is now investing more on research and development than any country in the world. They’re filing the highest number of patents in almost all fields.

This is mediocrity with a tinge of madness. Innovators create products that solve problems.

Since u know so much, show us just a single prototype, hata ya kikombe. This is the very same attitude that will make Africans dependent on others for ever. We have to start somewhere

Guys like this dude lack mentors, that desire to build stuff from scratch is a precious gift that should be empowered by getting them some training then guiding them to build stuff beginning from the simplest before attempting anything as complex as a helicopter, the latter might get him into the Guinness book of records but he is never going to be able to mass produce, simple stuff like lawn mowers or chaff cutters would fill glaring gaps in our equipment needs as a country and earn him a few millions giving him the resources to fund R n D that will indulge his creative spirit.

If he flies, crash landing will be his only option

That is not my line of business. I don’t make machine prototypes. But even in my business I know I have to use knowledge, wisdom and practices accumulated by others over time.
We have to start somewhere. But not in 1620, when we have the knowledge of 2020.

Huyo “innovator” aanze na pikipiki ama lawnmower or even a tractor. That one he can achieve with a little more effort. Where I come from, a man tried to make a helicopter over twenty years ago. He now lives without several teeth.

Intriguing! Sad it all ends after a media feature. There’s a lot of potential in these so called “inventions”. A sponsorship perhaps to modernise and perfect their crafts, its clear than we can make our own motor vehicles, planes etc etc

Sorry I was away for Long. U need lessons about innovation

At least these two jaluos look like they’ve done some thorough research, not just picking scrap metals and welding them together. This one shows some signs of taking off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WRHMzL-4ag