Are Kenyan men now the 'weaker sex'?

Kudos my man.
Good call.
I’m a mechanic. My son is 6 and he is my apprentice. Daughter’s 2 and she’s a grease monkey as well. Between checking homework, rough housing and a little work, we clock around 4 hrs each day. My neighbours think I’m whipped coz I’m always with my kids, but to me what I’m doing is securing my manhood. Mine may not be ideal, but I think that giving a kid your time is far more important than the name you gave him/ her at birth.
I mean no disrespect to single mothers out there or those who were raised by single mothers (and trust me there are sterling examples of mothers who raised stand-up, good men), but men raise men. A dad, an uncle, a mentor. Parents need to be there.
I witnessed an odd scene in hospital where a kid had to go in for a jab, and was crying for the house help despite both parents being right there. Someone said “If you’re gonna lie down and make a baby, stand up and be a Dad”.

5 Likes

True too.

interesting perspective. On another note define sissy, who do you ladies regard as a sissy, cz most men walk a very fine line between being “The head of the House” " Being called Chauvinistic" “Being a caveman” " Being called chivalrous" " Being branded a sissy"

1 Like

Sasa unataka tuwashughulikie saa ngapi… ???

Now that’s a serious religious disorder…
God kams first…hiyo yake ni pride

Almost 5 lakini i of course make the topics fun for him…like instead of stories za kina robin hood na sijui some blonde and seven dwarfs nampigia story za giants na kina juha kalulu,abunwasi n others my parents used to narrate to me when i was his age…hizo zingine atafunzwa shuleni…i have no influence on that…

1 Like

Tia bidii…linda jamii…dats de way to go

Hope it doesn’t go off on a weird tangent but go ahead bro, shoot.

Soo sad…poor parenting

Reading through this article reminds me of an event long buried deep in the recess of my mind. I must’ve been in my third or fourth year in college. There was this time my pal and I decided on a whim to pay a visit to the Children’s cancer ward (1E?) at KNH just to see the place and volunteer a bit of our time. found the hematologist doc at the time just winding up his ward round, had a brief chat with him then we walked in. Coincidentally, it was the time for the nurses to draw blood from some of the kids, which blood sample is then taken to the lab for analysis as a means of therapeutic drug monitoring as well as monitoring for toxicity.

Now, there was this young playful boy whose face I have never forgotten who had been visited by two ladies who, from the resemblance, I assumed must have been his mum and grandma. When it was time for his blood to be drawn kijana was a bit reluctant but we urged him on. Boss, let me tell you that boy let out the most heart-wrenching cry i ever heard come from a child up to that point. Yule kijana alilia manze and we really felt sorry for him. The mum was powerless in calming him down and it was left to his grandma but still tears flowed freely. Looking at that young boy I could tell he was really in pain and at that moment I wished there was something I could do to take his pain away. Anything.

But then I asked myself: where was this young boy’s dad? Why wasn’t he there with his own kid, his own flesh and blood? What sort of man was he? Too many whys. I was instantly reminded of a time when I was about his age and my dad took me to hospital. I used to dread injections (which kid doesn’t?:)) but this one time dad had decided he was the one taking me to the local hospital and when the inevitable injection came he was there assuring me not to fear, the pain was only fleeting etc etc (kwa wale ambao ni wazazi, you know how you do it:)). Suffice it to say I never cried that day and never did from then henceforth. And so here I was looking at that young boy, feeling the pain through his cries and yet powerless to stop it or even calm him.

That memory has stayed with me all these years. Simple yet powerful to me. It taught me a powerful lesson: as a father, to the best of your ability, always be there for your kids. In health and in sickness. Be the one that wipes the tears off their eyes. Be the one whose shoulder they lean on and whose hand they hold onto when they ain’t so sure of what the world holds for them. Just be there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

kitambo buda alikuwa anaingia na kishindo, akifika kwa gate anaigonga na kunguruma, akifika kwa nyumba anaitisha food na asipopewa ni kosovo…generation yetu tuna bond na watoi, u get to your house sometimes without being noticed…kids dont fear their dads,women talk to their wazees the way they way they want…kosovo kwa manyumba iliisha na mahali iko ni the other way round…
Get a woman who can respect you…i feel if you tmba her right,she will respect you…analeta kelele na nyef nyef u fuack her nice…as with kids some people are just horrible with kids…kupeleka watoto kwa bar…mkidi anachapana uko nje,anatukana mama yake unamwangalia tu

Hehe, you jus pulled an Okiya on me… Good one…

Here’s the link @ol monk:

http://www.nation.co.ke/lifestyle/lifestyle/Its-about-quality-time-with-children-not-just-long-hours/-/1214/2718454/-/sqi2af/-/index.html

Nitakuwa hapa tu…

Hats off to your Mum…and all Dads out there working their fingers to the bone, living less than ideal lives to provide for their families.

Sissy is a man who is weak and lacks courage

I do, they are also the best grandparents a kid could wish for

Kuzaa si kazi, kulea ndio kazi. Parenting needs patience and quality time with kids. Neglect them and you’ll get a painful reward. I have seen some children insult their parents and all the parents can do is hide their faces because they know they messed up. What goes around comes around, and the old computer-related saying’garbage in garbage out’ works here too. I ask, since the affirmative action has apparently worked for the girls, is it time we shift focus to the boys? It seems to me like people perceived affirmative action as ‘care for the girl, the boy will take care of himself’ leading to current state of the boy child.

Maybe he was dead … or far away

personally, I think from the article is that those boys are abit sharper than thier peers. Living with parents past some age in Africa attracts social stigma but lets be honest, 60k in Nai can sustain you but you cant do anything meaningful with it. They understand that independence isnt living alone but having some disposable income and investing early is. Thats the trend in Japan and some developed countries and it will be more pronounced in the future. I’m considering building my children a house wakaange hapo before they jipange wakimaliza secondary.