Boarding schools must be phased out

His trademark, it’s like @Female Perspective Sayingameokoka

1 Like

Boarding schools just need to improve their safety measures. We used to have fire extinguishers all over our school but we were not taught how to use one…beats logic right?
The schools need to teach the kids what to do in case of any emergency be it fire,floods or a terrorist attack and perform drills once in awhile.

2 Likes

Wondered about their absence in your reply.

That said,if proper measures are put in place to avert such disasters there is no need to do away with boarding schools.
What should happen now is that a security and safety audit should be done on all schools and other institutions that have boarding facilities. And proper safety and security measures put in place where they are found lacking.
But trust Kenyans and their governments. We will mourn,pay for funeral expenses,listen to leaders make all sorts of promises and forget the dead (may they RIP) as soon as the last cofin is lowered into the grave.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s not even about the safety, it’s about growing with your child lakini mtoi especially boychild akifika 16 tundevu tuanze kumea, muanze kubishania remote etc mtakaa ndume mbili kwa keja so lazima umtume to hardship areas ashike adabu

2 Likes

I think the boarding school system is a remnant or continuation of what the british introduced and that was because many parents back then did not value education and so the few who did had to send their kids far away to get educated.

The thing that made it popular going forward when as a country we adopted the same is because, the kids get to high school just when they are hitting puberty and to most parents they find it very appropriate to have someone else deal with their kids at that difficult stage, and so getting rid of the system becomes very hard, but I am of the opinion that if an individual decides to have kids they should deal with that responsibility at least until the kids gets to 18

3 Likes

This is the solution! Our children are dying senselessly for something that can be easily prevented. We also need accountability. The principal at Moi girls needs to be held accountable. Or the ministry of education. I don’t know. But someone needs to answer.

1 Like

Good argument, but you should have separated the boarding issue from the fire/safety issue

Will you marry all the single mothers and adopt all bastard kids who have parents who work 17hrs a day to put bacon on their table

1 Like

Faga!

Do you have children? Maggo… Sorry!

Funny thing is the system we copied is now out of date and very few kids in the western world go to boarding schools, hapa kenya boardings have made parents lazy…unatupa mtoto huko ulelewe na mtu mwingine

2 Likes

I think more kids would be dying in day high schools from road accidents alone. The fatigue of daily commute due to heavy traffic means they will not get adequate rest or study time. Night prep would have to be curtailed. For many poor families boarding school is a god send. Home life may not be conducive to learning for example families living in those noisy, polluted high density estates. Gang influence and teenage pregnancy puts these youth at further risk. Also, the possibility of hunger…at least while at boarding school these kids are assured of 3 square meals a day.

I’m not against boarding schools at all. I was supporting the point on fire safety and preparedness. We need smoke detectors, accessible fire exits, regular fire drills and fire extinguishers in all boarding schools. And they should be inspected by the fire marshall regularly for compliance. Kids should be going to school to get an education not to burn to death.