CAR IMPORT AGE RESTRICTION IS A HOGWASH

India has good taxes

1 Like

Its Death and taxes, the Nissan Hardbody is retailing @4m huku while in Botswana with all options added its 2.5m.

5 Likes

Greed of the rich and those in power positions leaves the poor and the clueless hopeless. Freaking taxes!

if i was the president i would give an order that these extremely, smoking, poorly maintained ,falling apart cars be confiscated and be thrown in the car junk yard but in return you import a car of any age from japan. kuna people driving cars that are basically falling apart gari unaeza ona chini, the gears zinaeza ingia zinaeza kosa kuingia, windshield is so old mpaka when it rains although the wipers are working yu still cant see, the cars are leaking, shock absorbers are dead, the car has crevices at night baridi inaingia tuuu. i think instead they should instead let people import cheaper cars from japan despite the age

5 Likes

Iā€™d rather see them dump cars here than the old shit people drive hereā€¦because by the look of things the cars to be damped hia myt be in better conditions than what the ones already here

Also, govt is just interested in raising revenues. remember the debacle of levying 200k for used car imports that slowed down imports and low revenues for KRA? You see, they are not interested in providing a long term framework for making locally made cars and other goods cheaper but rather short term tax collection goals. What they donā€™t seem to realise is of taxes are lowered for local goods, consumption will go up and more businesses will flourish and hence more revenues for govt in future.

4 Likes

Donā€™t forget that those japs buy their cars brand new! So after 8 or 10 years with good maintenance, the car is still clean. Here you will import an 8yo Japanese car, and with our poor habits, chances of the car seeing itā€™s fifth 15th birthday are close to nil.

I think the problem is with the Quality Control people, read ā€œconsultantsā€ mis advising .go.ke. and the tax collector. So I suggest we shoot everyone in quality controlā€¦kill all their professorsā€¦take all their students to japan And Germany then come and employ them instead. We all would realise better policies when those in charge got an all round understanding of the automobile sector. Ni hayo tu.

1 Like

At the end of the day you choose what is within the age bracket, and your pocket can afford.
Same would apply if buying brand new, a Benz will always be costly to a Toyotaā€¦ of course the taxes are too highā€¦ let them stay that way, the quality of drivers on our roads is horrible, we donā€™t need more dummies on these roads.
In other news , in kuwait, youā€™re required to take your car for inspection every year before renewing your registration. If it fails or is too old they throw it into the junk yard, you go home by taxi.

[ATTACH=full]90480[/ATTACH]

Thatā€™s a working car ā€¦itā€™s all about the engine my frien

If you think Kenya has a punitive tax regime, ask a Singaporean how much a Toyota costs in Singapore:):slight_smile:

When fuel was down to 84/=, consumption moved up.
I donā€™t understand how a who govt with arrogant ā€œbrilliantā€ technocrats canā€™t see the correlation.

http://www.nation.co.ke/business/Tank-in-oil-prices-fuels-petrol-demand-to-record-high/996-3389688-oqwuqr/

By NEVILLE OTUKI

Petrol consumption in Kenya jumped 31.5 per cent in the first half of the year as motorists took advantage of lower pump prices to keep cars on the road.

Industry data shows that Kenya consumed 787.9 million litres of petrol in the year to June, up from 599 million litres in a similar period of last year.

ā€œThe increase means private cars are on the increase and fuel is still affordable,ā€ said the Petroleum Institute of East Africa (PIEA) ā€“ the lobby for oil marketers.

Consumption of diesel, used to power trucks, buses, vans and factories was up 23 per cent in the review period to 1.2 billion litres from 972.6 million litres, according to PIEA data.

The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC), which caps maximum retail prices of petrol and diesel, early this year made multiple cuts on pump prices in response to tanking global oil prices.

Petrol prices stood at Sh88.64 a litre in January in Nairobi and Sh86.17 in June while diesel retailed at Sh76.7 at the beginning of the year but had dropped to Sh73.71 in June.

1 Like

as an example below, how would anyone convince you that this clean car is worse off than the rickety contraptions we see on our roads day in day out?
mark you this is ready for shipping atleast to uganda or say botswana.
[ATTACH=full]91015[/ATTACH]

and with such quality interiors for such an 8 year old car
But then again its all about what the governments makes out of you not how you benefit as society through logical import rules[ATTACH=full]91016[/ATTACH]

it has undergone thorough cleaning before being put up for export.

which works out just fine. that fozzy is sweeeeeeeeeet!