caught generating their own electricity in Homabay

From my limited knowledge individuals and even firms can generate, after getting a licence, own energy for own use…our point of contention is not on generation but supply. I might be wrong but any extra energy that a firm or individual produces is then sold to Kenya power…not directly to consumers and that’s why we are talking of the monopoly

That sounds about right. The elephant in the room is the monopoly power enjoyed by kplc.

What’s so hard about applying and getting the necessary licences?

shortcuts nazo?

Unreal. Kplc monopoly must end.

This company has been in operation earlier than 2013 when i heard of them.The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council(UK)has even funded an energy project called “Escobox” through this company. The University of Nairobi,De Montfort University, Leicester, Newcastle University,Institute of Development Studies, STEAMACO, Practical Action, BBOXX and Ashden were the partners… and in all of these engagements the ministry of energy was in the loop and Access Energy was the industry linkage to implement the research.
This is a case of deals gone wrong.

http://www.dmu.ac.uk/research/research-faculties-and-institutes/institute-of-energy-and-sustainable-development/research-projects/escobox.aspx

http://cae.uonbi.ac.ke/content/escobox-workshop

kplc monopoly does not just result from law but from fact,the ability to build out infrastructure capable of effectively competing with kplc is what is lacking.

They said that about safcon.

Mathighs mjinga hata ukiuluza license you can’t distribute directly to consumers, you have to sell it to KPLC which beats the logic. Read @eddy mahelo comment above. I said it here earlier, everything that happens in Kenya is about two families. For this case one family is the single largest private shareholder, the other is the largest supplier. In the meantime, Tano Tena.

the fact that MoE is aware of some funding you won has no equivalence to a license from ERC (a different legal entity) and comply with laid down procedure . beehive is running solar microgrids in western kenya after doing so. otherwise,no matter how noble your idea,there is no difference with the owner of that collapsed building in ruai. We do not have a shortage of creative people,what we have is a shortage of kenyans who comply with laid down regulations.

There you go.

[ATTACH=full]163033[/ATTACH]

remember kencell was in existence from the beginning, kplc has cornered the market for too long

so was the license eventually given?

So cornering the market for too long means that we don’t need alternatives cheaper power.

I don’t know. A lawyer is best placed to interpret this gazette notice. Can’t pretend to be a law expert

the notice states an intention to apply if there’s no objection. sometimes potential applicants abandon the process.

You cannot build anything without a permit in the West.They will tell you to tear it down even if it is a hospital.

I doubt the Muranga chap with a hydroelectric microgrid (I posted it here last week) has a ERC license but you know, tuko kwa serikali tumekalia sawa sawa.

Swali nyeti, what are our legislators doing about the laws governing the generation of power???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Parliament should be legislating laws to encourage innovation and the county should also step in to protect that company, after all that’s what devolution is all about.
@Mjuaji don’t just blame jubilee, homa bay has elected leaders in both parliament and county levels, what have they done for this company???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wapi umeona nimetaja Jubilee?