Cultural Appropriation

Humbwer, ghasia, takataka…the H is silent!!

The western media will tell the world that that cave beast is a swahili woman. It’s what they do to lie to the world.
If you think I’m lying research on the term [COLOR=rgb(184, 49, 47)]5 dollar Indians
[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]Right now they’re whitewashing Mansa Musa, the richest man to have ever lived on earth and who was a black man.

Hii inamaanisha ‘feeling’

“Ndiraiugua kiundu funny…”

Sisi wenyewe hatuna haja na Kiondo. How many people have you seen with it this year ? meanwhile, when paperbags were banned, instead of people promoting local weavers, they just resorted to cheap disposable 30 bob bags…acha Kumamoto watumie kiondo.
We only acknowledge what we ignored was good when it is lost or stolen. Kenyan mechanics make more from Toyota than all the sales of Kiondos in Japan combined.

Think of the bigger picture.

That is intellectual property that we lost.

IP is a commodity that can be securitied and sold on the Hang Seng, Strait Times, NIKKEI, Dow Jones, FTSE 100…You get my drift?

Think big.

Sorry Mr. Grammar Nazi I beg your pardon.

How are Samosas or Swahili foods Intellectual property???
They all entail foods imported from Elsewhere!!! THEY ARE NOT KENYAN IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
You cannot calim a thing like Samosas!!They are Indian!!!

I am hungry now, want some chilli Samosas

Hakuna shida speaks swa better than me.

You can’t be this ignorant.

https://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/snoop.png

1. Recipes can be patented. Patents = Intellectual Property. Intellectual Property in the Food Sector

2. Last time I checked, Swahili food was not invented in Switzerland. So why is this bytch making bank out of other people’s culture?

https://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/martin3.png

1.Last I checked she is from Kenya
22Many Swahili recipies ARE actually patented in the Middle East. Again,even if there was a patent for samosas,it would be Indian.
3.What are you bitching about???It is not your culture she is stealing.It is mine and I have no problem with her showcasing Swahili foods.After all we also borrowed 3/4 of our recipies from the Middle East and India.
If people had your attitude.Africans would not be allowed to show how to even make Cakes(Roman,Greek and Viking origin),meatballs(Italian),Pizza(Italian),spaghetti(Italian)even Ugali(it is Portuguese)or any rice recipies(rice is from Asia) in the name of cultural appropriation!!! Same to bread as bread is a Middle Eastern and European phenomenon.
Pilipili usioila…Literally!!!If she had stolen a ‘Wabara’ recipie i would not even be commenting as that is not my culture per se.

Cognitive dissonance detected.

1. The problem is not her making whatever food she likes and enjoying it, rather the issue is profiting from swahili culture.

2. From the money made, nothing goes to the community which invented the appropriated culture. This increases poverty and encourages the marginalization of these minorities, considering how hard it can be for them to commercialize these products.

So, this is literally about the interplay between intellectual property and poverty.

I really hope you know that Samosas, chapatis and a lot of other foods aren’t actually Swahili…

Hakuna kitu kama cultural appropriation. If such a thing exists, then apartheid and racial segregation are not evil anti-human concepts

So when is the Swahili community making reparations to the Iranian community for appropriating their food, culture and architecture?

Read point no. 2 which you’ve just quoted.

Again I ask, if a Luo chef in a Kisumu hotel makes mukimo and sells it his customers, can the Kikuyu claim appropriation? Where do they fill out claim forms ati walipwe coz mtu ametumia culture yao to profit? Na vile mmelia hapa, explain how her YT channel is increasing poverty and marginalisation of the Waswahili. On the same vein, please tell us who owns the patent for spaghetti bolognese and where Kenyan cooks pay their royalties for ‘appropriating’ Italian culture? Vile tu nilisema, mnalia lia appropriation because of jealousy.

Anzeni YT channel zenu mwacheni huyu

This is the kind of lazy thinking that will consign you Africans in poverty forever.

“Champagne” for example is patented and cannot be used on wines (especially sparkling wines) which do not originate from the Champagne wine-producing region of France.

Intellectual property + marketing = one of the most successful export industries from France.

We need to do better.

Of course you had to go there…now it is ‘lazy African thinking’ keeping us down…
Ok, I’ll play your game, champagne refers to sparkling wine from that one particular region of France, and is a trademark…absolutely. Does trade-marking the name ‘champagne’ mean no-one else can make sparkling wine? No it does not.
Back to the case at hand, who is going to patent ‘samosa’ or kaimati? The Indians in India or Kenya? The Waswahili of Kenya or TZ?

It just means you can manufacture as much champagne as you want, but you must pay royalties to the patent holders in France.

Goodness how hard is it to understand this?

Sasa unatubeba ufala; there is no such thing as paying royalties for using the name champagne; nenda uresearch vizuri.