Culture Shocks of moving from your home town or village to other places including outside Jamhuri...

I actually like those “unafrican” tabias.

1. No one should go and pick the most expensive things off a menu and automatically expect you to pay their way.
  2. I dislike uninvited and unannounced visitors. You can’t just show up at my house without at least calling me ahead of time. Also, you don’t just come over without a proper reason.
  3. When someone invites you over for a meal, I believe it’s polite to bring something. It doesn’t have to be a dish. It can be a bottle of wine or even a loaf of bread ama a packet of flour.

Only under very special or pre-planned circumstances do I advocate for “mooching off” of your friends or strangers

People driving super fast in San Francisco and Dallas, getting used to processed foods in US and UK and missing the kienyeji food back home,getting used to American Football,NBA and Baseball kila mahali,at work at home…mpaka ata wakenya kuvaa Jerseys za hizi teams,and tailgating before games,getting used to interracial dating and getting coomer ya different nationalities is my fave…Wanderlust is amazing.

Arriving in a very cold country in the middle of summer in a suit. By the time I arrived in school, I was completely drenched in sweat. I normally don’t sweat at all.

Walking down the street in Hong Kong and Kowloon and seeing street restaurants (they close the streets for the dinner traffic). Guess what the restaurants serve? Among other things I’d never seen dogs (hanging on hooks in a butchery), live snakes and some sea critters that will make you puke.

What’s with the obsession with cucumbers in Russia? Every meal has to come with those darn things.

Reverse culture shock: coming back to Ke after 5 years and seeing things that shake you to the core. Too many “jail baits”, you can never get to anywhere on time (traffic), and general recklessness.

Etc…

The concept of strict TIME is also a culture shock to many. Also in the workforce getting paid hourly as opposed to monthly ile tumezoea…Plus getting to interact,work with colleagues ( making sure you respect them) the LGBTQ gang…Ukiwatukana utapata a felony hate crime

A village in Bulgaria

[MEDIA=tumblr]did=9c597509501f0dae20a325de98bf2504ccd90b89;id=167121278196;key=F7FQ5PLuUrHBRLcQkEBkuA;name=timclinchphotography[/MEDIA]

Sioni tofauti ya hii village ya mayuu na pale ocha

BS

Oh yeah… King Street subway station in London. I’ve never seen that many punks in one place… spikes in the hair that is colored all kinds of yellow, green, purple, you name it. And piercings and tattoos. Smdh

Kachavari in Ishaka, western Uganda the first time. A shocking experience…

Women and how they behave in different countries is a culture shock. Kutembea kwingi ni kujionea mengi.
You move abroad and dame even first date mnakatana 50/50 unajua hii ni kismat. Then you realize she cant cook, does not understand African culture and family structures (like how do you send money to your father/uncle and he wont pay back).

I can never forget the word “temping jobs” in England. Yaani wakenya wote with good careers back home, tulifanya kazi hungetamani. Doctors, bankers, engineers, teachers most on sponsorship- we were cleaners and factory workers just to earn the extra pound. We met and laughed and we still reminisce. Tuko nyumbani sasa. Kweli kuteseka ni kwa muda tu. I love Kenya.

Hio huhitaji kwenda majuu, tembea universities mob especially wenye hawaishi hostels.

Do you mean King’s Cross station?

Exiting the airport in Mumbai (then called Bombay) in the late 90s and being confronted immediately by the stark poverty. Even after two decades I can still see the women holding skeletal babies up to our taxi window and pleading for food by holding their fingers to their own mouths. Later, making our way through traffic, being approached by men with burnt faces and distorted limbs tapping and slapping against the car to beg for money. This condition of poverty is rampant everywhere, from the beggars crowding the sidewalks to the commuter trains that are literally (no exaggeration) overflowing with people, raggedly dressed, hanging out of the doors and windows and piled on top of the cars.

This culture of making reservations at a restaurant is strange to me, though it’s practiced in some establishments in Kenya. We were in a restaurant in a Nordic country and some empty tables had been reserved while some customers stood outside waiting for a table inside.

Crisps = chips
Chips = French fries
Biscuit = cookie
Scones = biscuit
Trousers = pants
Maths = math
Water (woh-tah) = warra :D:D:D
Pardon me, sorry = excuse me
Omena = anchovies :D:D:D
Boot = trunk
Fungua bonnet = pop your engine

Yap! that one…

In some parts of London they have wild foxes roaming around and I recall once they entered a house and mauled a baby.Though the baby was not injured so badly what I found astonishing is animal rights activists defending the foxes from being killed!

In the US if someone says “let’s go for lunch” , it doesn’t mean they’re going to foot the bill, it just means let’s keep each other company while we eat.
I know a guy who learnt this the hard way:D:D

Then they start crying because you didn’t hold their hand when walking from the mall! That one is tough to deal with. They just busted your savings and now they are crying?

Umejaribu hapo :D:D