Dating in the Pre-Mobile Phones Era, How Did You Guys Manage?

Growing up in shags, many are the times we would go to a chics home to ‘borrow’ a biology book here, a history one there, a revision book at another while the mother is all ears listening attentively to every conversation. Of course when the chic came out however briefly you whispered very fast where to meet and what time.
It required balls to pull it off.

:D:D:D

:D:D:D

I once asked my grand mother this question. She told me that,people would communicate via letters. Mnapanga a date and agree siku fulani mtapatana town fulani,what restuarant and time as well. I understood people had discipline in time keeping. Ole wako if your babe agrees to your date but barua ichelewe,getting to you days past siku yenyu ya dat date:(

:D:D:D:D Hapo kwa Posta umepata 100%. Even today young niccurs still meet there

My mail to Stella (RIP) was once intercepted. I had a rough time from both angry mum and angry daughter!

Phone booth ilikuwa noma…Watu wako nyuma yako kwa wanakusukuma ndani breathing on your neck literally…wengine wako na "emergencies…Wengine wanangoja reverse call (Please call me za hizo siku for you novices) Wengine wako ndani ya booth na wewe wanakuangalia kwa macho…ukiambia dem “i love you” wanakuambia “sema na nguvu”…saa hizo booth inameza coins kama sacrament. #TBT

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
@Ruffneck anakaa wale wasee wa kukuambia sema I love you kwa nguvu

Nairobi ni Kenya National Archives hapo na kando ya Mr. Price ya hapo

Mshapanga anakuja Saturday, that is two weeks from now. Unaishi na mood poa sana for those two whole weeks.Ikifika Saturday unaamka saa kumi usiku kutengeneza cube ikae safi. Kumbuka anafika saa saba.Ndo wewe huyo unafanya covert missions za kila aina kutafuta soda, cake, chakula, na kadhalika. Unangoja inafika saa saba roho inaanza kudunda. Huwezi tulia tena. Hata lunch huwezi kula unajiskia tu kushiba. Inafika saa nane bado hakuna dalili. Una-jiconvince pengine amechelewa kiasi. Saa hizo huwezi ata toka vile unaogopa asije akukose. Saa tisa, saa kumi, saa kumi na moja- matumaini yanaanza kudidimia. Ishafika saa moja lakini bado uko na hopes.Uko na hasira lakini hujui uzielekeze wapi.Saa mbili, saa tatu bado umetulia cube. Saa nne usingizi ishakushika. Lakini hormones zinakushow fanya ivi, usifunge mlango vile anaweza come ukose kuskia. Utaamshwa kesho asubuhi na upepo na baridi vile hukufunga mlango. Ata kabla hujakunywa chai hormones ndizo izo tena zinaanza kukuuliza, “ama tuliagree akuje Sunday?”. Kidogo kidogo, ushajiconvince pengine date ilikuwa ya Sunday. Unangoja tena the whole day. Kufika jioni utakuwa umechoka na boner imeisha.Lakini at least wewe na cube mmekuwa wasafi.

Kuna siku tumepewa number na tusichana twa kanyotu…yes, James Kanyotu, the spy master. The girls had visited their grandmother alafu wakatupata place tunacheza basketball tukawa mafariki. When they went back to their place, after schools opened, tukajichocha na boy wangu Mathus tuwapigie so that we can keep in touch. Weee…iyo siku tulisweat hapo kwa booth imagining the special branch will come get us. Simu iliingia tukaulizwa sisi nani natunataka nani na tunapiga kutoka wapi? Tulitoka mbio na tukalenga hio story kabisa.

Tuma the young bro/siz, buy for them kaangumu, patco, ama biscuits za ndururu.

Hehehe, commitment was key back then

:D:D:DShait! Almost like mine. There was this half-arab family living like 4km from us huko kwa mafarm. There were two cute daughters who we were more or less the same age. We schooled together in primo though they were a class behind. Come higjschool na warembo wakarembeka ile wacha tu. Since our moms were friends, i took that opportunity and befriended both of them. After clearing fourth myself nikaamua hii family lazima niwazalishie. Now their house was around 50m from the road and there was a fence running along the road. Apart from their main entrance there was a footpath shortcut behind the kitchen where a small ladder was built over the fence. Now that was my observation post. Since they were the elder sisters of boys who hated me like the way lions hate hyenas, they were always washing vyombo hapo nyuma ya kitchen(for those who know drying rack ya vyombo huko ocha). So during holidays we synchronised with the eldest (nilianza na huyo) that around 5 we’d meet at the fence ladder and plan for the late night meetings. After the synchronisation, i’d go to a pub 2km away and swallow a few merrycane sachets as i await the hour. Normally , she would spot me at the ladder and come over. BTW, i didnt mention that they resembled their mum to the dimples. So this sato evening nimejivaa poa, wallet iko sawa( was to give her something for the salon) and headed for the Abdulraman’s. Kufika kwa ngazi namcheki anasugua sufuria. She had seen me so there was no need of raising my hand or use hand signals. I turned my back on her and waited thinking she was coming. Kuangalia nyuma she was still there. Now a bit agitated, i used hand signal to tell her to come, and she animatedly asked with hand signals too ‘mimi? Unaniita mimi?’ And was like ‘si ni wewe tu nani mwingine’ as i pointed to my wrist masaa ya ngilu style. I then turned my back on her as i sat on the road bank plucking grass rods and chewing them absent-mindedly. I could hear her footsteps closing by. Nikaskia tu(swahili accent) “haya ndiye huyu mie ulikua untakaje?” This is the first time nilitoa a very sheepish smile ile umepatikana. It was her mother. “Wewe kijana wa ____ utatuambia unadai nini hii familia yetu. Umemaliza shule vizuri sasa wataka kuniharibia wasichana wangu! Hebu potea zimwi la mtu!”. I’ve never forgotten those words. Walked away ashamed as hell to drink the night away. Next morning kuamka kutoka kwa Simba nakutana na double cab parked hapo nje. Kulikujwa hadi na paternal grandmother kupeana warning kwa fisi isiokua na adabu. Nikahepa home that whole sunday. Mother alishindwa kuniuliza hio story. I guess she was impressed with my standards. I’ll come back with a hekaya of how i got trapped in the girls bedroom as their dad and friends chewed gomba on the main corridor in the house and eventually, how i fell into their water tank and almost drowned in the name of arab love

@Deorro one date led to the other like you have said. Halafu usisahau,kama umeambiwa marafiki zake. Ongeza siblings, if she had any who WERE younger than her. Neighbourhood kids also played a role in kufanikisha date…
And there was creativity. You had to get them slices kwa lolote lile. I remember there was one time I enlisted the help of my mum’s cousin,an auntie of mine to get through to the onion rings giver…

Hekaya ikuje

Hehehehe ati ulitumia nani? Leta hekaya

na huyu! @Deorro ata post hekaya lini? Never mind. I heard that out loud.

Hehehe nimeweka hekaya kadhaa. The last one was about my first encounter with a poko

Hio clock ya Kencom imeokolea sana. Mamanzi were more mature than hutu twa siku hizi.
First ungemkatia via post mail na zile upuzi za ‘open with a smile’ then ungemshow mkutane hapo Kencom clock siku fulani n in that day angetokea on time…ungempeleka hapo Walkers kujitetea (was an ‘expe’ place then).
If u were lucky ungekua unamdara by 8pm kwa KBS. ( njaro ilikua anakukalia n this was considered normal coz KBS za sunday zilikua zimejaa walevi walevi).

Njaro ingine ilikua unategea jioni kitu 730pm hivi kagiza kakishaingia then unashow masaa lazima ufike shop to buy just about anything however minute. Hio githaaa ilikua ndio ma lover walikua wanatokea roady so hungekosa kupata ma couples waki romance kwa vichochoro manzi anatoka home na perm akirudi ako na dready.