Do Kenyans In Diaspora Regret Relocating?

Am a graduate, secondary school teacher but not yet employed by Tsc but doing some kind of hustle and earning atreast 50k a month here. Somebody who is almost 70 years old I know her very well but not a relative, according to me she has made it in life coz naona ako apartment kama mbili apa kenya and many other bedseaters.This lady is telling me to relocate anitafutie kibarua huko U.S. Wadau is it worthwhile to relocate? can I get a good kibarua there? Approximately how much can I make there? Tafadhali Saidia this naive boy.

Dude the key word is Makaratasi anywhere in the diaspora. Can she help you do that legally???I think you should try Canada or Australia and be ready to re-do some tests depending on the country.

Makaratasi is new word to me, but she is promising to help me get all necessary documents for travelling and stay there.

I occasionally teach and I always encourage my students to relocate to the West immediately they are through with their first degrees… 2 years out there for a masters degree then they can decide what to do and where to settle… I also try my best and get them scholarship opportunities abroad…I believe 1 or 2 talkers have benefited from the same.
The reason I do this is because life is very tough for a normal fresh Kenyan graduate with one degree, there are simply no job opportunities!
The other group that I usually try to encourage to get out there are those guys who were never good in school anyway and have no prospects here…some have tried business and failed while others have had zero opportunities…for those ones I always believe they would get some chance out there. And to them a place like America with those hourly wages would sound like heaven…they eventually do get legal status and do work very hard.
If you know you are a very hardworking person but have limited opportunities here then majuu is the place for you.
Then there is this last group which I also belong…we can live anywhere and still make it work.
@Purple its true about boreholes drying…we have had to sink another one in kitengela but it’s because so many people have sunk them…regulation is needed. Nakuru has no water…but my village has streams that never dry.
About climate change hapo sijui. I have had 4 months of winter this year…where I stay in Nairobi is very cold and was actually forced to move to kitengela for a few weeks of July because my 18month old son was struggling…kitengela is always warm. In nakuru/ njoro nilipanda mahindi na sai tunavuna…there was sufficient rain…same with kitale. So for me I don’t regret coming back to Kenya…its been 4 productive years…have now learnt how to avoid traffic…my only problem is with our politics/ governance which is greatly limiting the potential of our economy.

If you have makaratasi it’s worth trying to relocate but if not then think twice about it. We have our own version of huduma number that is issue the day you are born or allocated when you are legally here. Without that number you can’t get a job, drivers license , open a bank account e.t.c. . 5 years ago I would have encouraged someone to come and try their luck but the current environment is hectic. Whoever is asking you to come ask them how they will help you get makaratasi, there are some ways which take sometime and with the current serikali are becoming difficult, read the news about the Mexicans crossing over and whatever means they use. America can be a land of second opportunity, I have a friend who was a primary teacher and now is a VP at JP Chase Morgan. I have seen a 44 year old mzee come from Kenya and become a pharmacist with only a secondary certificate. But they did that since their makaratasi were good.

Wait a minute kijana. That is not a mzee.

Makaratasi is residency permit or here we all it indefinite right to remain which allows you to be a citizen at some point. Tourist visa as that is what she is offering you does not allow you to work. A student visa would be a good as it allows you to work but you must go to school too for your own good.
I don’t know about the rest of the world but here they kind’a look down on degree earned in Kenya.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lol. Try going to pharmacy school at 44 with 4 kids , a wife and a low paying job, si mchezo.

The word “makaratasi” is scaring me it means what?

Legal residence…work permit . You can come as a tourist but if you have to work you would be forced to work and be paid chini ya Meza and you would be exploited.

Mangele 1st and foremost who is dat DJ?mmmmmm

Now I get, I will call her later and inquire

I think you’re ignorant to think Climate Change won’t affect U.S.A. That Kenya will be uninhabitable after 10 plus years? Lol! Some part of your mind is trying to justify your decision not to invest in Kenya and come back home, so you come up with such lame excuses.

Fact is, USA will do much worse due to climate change. Every single year, there are hurricanes powerful than nuclear bombs that hit the country and leave a path of destruction behind. Not to mention the tornadoes in Texas and earthquakes in California. Then, the winter is getting colder and harsher.

Mind you, the great USA emits CO2 more than any other country in the world. Endelea kukaa hapo ukisema ati huko U.S hakuna climate change. Mother nature doesn’t care if you live in the USA.

Sometimes i think puple live in her own World

Mangele to answer your blanket question I think some do, I think some don’t. I have seen Kenyans re-locate back home from here and all seemed well. So we waved them bye bye. Sooner than later they came back because they ran out of money. Look you are not going to remove your children from the UK and enrol them at Muchatha Primary School…you take them to Braeburn and Peponi etc…money goes vooooooom. Medical care is not free either in Kenya…money goes voom…90 percent came back here and the rest moved to oz. Sadly with some marriages broken as most hubbies with roving eyes choose to stay in Kenya for obvious reasons.

I know one case where re-locating has worked and that is because she moved from France to Mayotte first and lived there for a while then de-camped to Kenya. Her kids are grown now and she is living the life in Kenya…

A stupid sort of question here especially on the last part. Huko unaoa tu mzungu ama unatoa mtu huku? How does it work? Azin kwa wale usema lazima uoe tu mkenya. Don’t laugh, I already said it’s kinda stupid! haha

I am in your situation, trained but earning less. Not yet working in what I trained for, not a teacher tho. I would relocate without second thought if I had someone helping me do it. Sasa unangoja?
Last year, a manager with East Africa Breweries relocated to Australia. I was shocked how one would leave a job at EABL, a company many are dying to work for, at least many graduates here will be thrilled to get a job there. But she quit and went to Sydney. I met her this year and asked her how things are out there in Sydney and boss, anasema huko unaeza earn 2K per her, imagine doing 8 hours a day? Hebu imagine!

In as much as people mock the idea of taking a ‘gap year’ after high school just to travel and get ‘exposure’, I think it is a good idea. Unfortunately, it isn’t affordable for everyone.

Another good idea is ALREADY being exposed (even while living in their “native home”) while young, and then being allowed to gradually experience that first world type of life.

I tend to find that alot of people who got that kind of exposure to other cultures, countries and continents tend to be a bit more level headed when it comes to the subject of life as an immigrant living either abroad or back at home. They don’t exude excessive jealousy, superiority or inferiority complex for those in the opposite situation (locationwise). You tend to see them finding a middleground and they have a pretty sober way of looking at the subject in its entirety.

If you wisely started on a 401k early, joined a credit union, invested in stocks for the long term and regularly follow up, worked hard from the very beginning so as to get good social security, then one will not need to work past age 70.