Dropping Out of University

A Pass is the lowest level and it is as bad as they come. In a nation where people with Masters degrees dont have jobs, a Pass in a bachelor’s degree is worth nothing. I dont think anyone with a pass has a fighting chance for a white collar job.

A pass simply means that you passed your university assessments. It means you coped with university education to get a qualification. Anything beyond that depends on your effort.

Gotcha,thanks. By the sound of it a “Pass” seemed like a worthy grade to me. :smiley: Does it matter that the Pass is in an engineering field, not an ‘easy’ subject like sociology or other arts? Therefore, it should hold more weight in the job market. A pass in engineering should equal a strong, second class lower in an art major. @Voltron, maliza course yako. You’ve come too far, just finish it for completeness sake and you’ll discover the rest later.

1. A pass is not a fail. 2) A pass is better than no degree. U never know, it might come in handy down the road

Like any academic measure, your grade at university says very little of who you will be. Its got to do with your effort and resources.

Hardly will it ever come in handy. The primary purpose of a degree is to get a job, and a pass wont get him that job. It is better for him to try a new degree program than pursue a lost cause.

Got a pass here myself in an technical field, it was very depressing I struggled to get my first job but after I did what mattered now was my performance and the new networks I made, so don’t quit a pass is better than no degree at all believe me

And mambo ya 1st class na pass only matters for entry level jobs, after that experience, professinal licenses and good work references take over and the certificate only becomes proof that you once attended university, something that maybe necessary in the subsequent phases of your life e.g. if you want to run for public office and a degree is one of the minimum requirements.

@Quanstrom, you could be one of those very rare people who get a straight 1st class honours degree. Naheshimu, Asande. However, when a job asks for a degree, all of us qualify. Eg, TSC, have they ever exempted guys with pass degrees?

@Quanstrom what did you score in your 1st class degree, which course did you do? Which university, how many credit factors per academic year?

Its just that I think for him, energy spent on a new course could be more useful than continuing with his current mess where he is certain of failure. Eventually, he will have a shiny new degree, which is not a Pass. The worst thing he can do is quit university. I am advising him to start a simpler course and get better grades.

So you think a pass is useless?

Yeah. In most cases. I believe that a degree is meant to help you to access employment which will be almost impossible if you have a pass in the competitive job market.

Some universities will grade you from 1st year, others will wait until you specialize. There will be biases on recruitment. Once you are employed, what counts is your effort. Of course guys with 1st class have an advantage. Ordinarily, they’re above average.

A pass in an engineering field is not useless, you will struggle getting your first job and this also will depend on your efforts but after that it will all depend on your performance and am talking from my own personal experience

You have the wrong attitude.

This is what im talking about.

What was your specialization at university?

@Quanstrom can I guess that you are in sales and marketing?

You can save face if you have a pass by getting experience and more certificates etc. The problem is getting that first job, with a pass. That is one challenge that makes climbing Mt Everest seem like child’s play if you have no connections. If a degree is meant to get you a job, and a pass cant get you that job, then its useless.