Easy like Sunday morning

All those things mentioned are already in production not sure where you get your facts . I think as early as 2010 luxury vehicles had these features, nowadays the ordinary vehicles have them. Google lane departure assist, variable cruise control, and alcohol interlock.

3 Likes

Dumb monosyllabic comment.

An even stupidier attempt to explain a dumb comment.

You need to double check your facts, none of the tech available is regulation ready, has all been shot down at every corner because none has passed the health and safety benchmarks

Let me help you think

1. How many communicable diseases do you think you will help pass around if you made the interlock a defacto standard, or will you have each driver walking around with a mouthpiece in their pockets like a condom

2. Let’s also analyze a scenario that was once pushed around, even prototyped, a touch pad that pricks your finger to analyze the alcohol contents in your blood. I hope no one wants me to explain these.

Now for all of you naysayers, the industry is in agreement that the best method is something that detects alcohol content with bodily contact, there has been sensor installed near the sun visor and they have failed due to 2 reasons.

1. If the sensor is not ultra sensitive, the driver has to be super drunk for it to detect that he is drunk.

2. If the sensor is made ultra sensitive, it will immobilize the vehicle because the passenger on the back seat has had one too many.

@kah tony , clear these hurdles and we will make your invention regulation ready.

cc @Deorro, @Luther12

1 Like

The technology might not be in Kenya but it’s being used abroad in many countries. If you have a DUI charge in the only way you can drive your vehicle is if you have that interlock installed. It’s been there for years. I told you to Google. It’s mostly for personal vehicles so don’t know what communicable diseases you’re talking about.

I don’t know if you want me to prove the lane assist, cruise control too? That’s just common knowledge.

we are not discussing cruise control and lane/parking assist and drowsiness detection systems, neither am i talking about the availability of prototypes for detecting alcohol systems, am talking about an approved standard that can be pushed to the masses without fear or lawsuits.

what you are referring to are some proprietary standard, none of which can be pushed down en-mass

there are two sides of this coin , the prototypes which are not regulatory ready (check even with NHTSA, the guys you are claiming to be pushing the interlock) are already there. on the other side there is what several governing bodies have been looking into over the last 10 years and none has been passed.

if there was a standard that was globally accepted and meets all qualifications, trust me i would know and it would have been part of the regional cargo monitoring system and it would also have been been bulldozed together with the speed limiters for PSV vehicles

the main headache that no one has solved as much as they would like to have something thats universally acceptable is “HOW CAN WE PUSH WHAT WE HAVE, KNOWING VERY WELL THAT IT BREAKS ALL HSE STANDARDS

double check again and you will notice its called it a [SIZE=4]research program[/SIZE]

1 Like

Or 3. If you could just get a sober passenger to blow it for you if drunk.

1 Like

Thats why all around the general consensus is to go with something that continuously monitors the driver breath, a guy could start sober but continue taking swigs as he drives. in this scenario the onetime approach of blowing or touch pad will pass the guy, however 2 hours down the road the same guy is completely hammered and a danger to himself and other road users.

this is where the continuous drunk status monitoring level system comes in, keeps monitoring through out the entire trip (just like the canbus system monitors other nodes on the truck). however the one thing that has eluded the engineers, is how to compartmentalize it to the driver seat only. it has to be sensitive enough that it will detect the driver is drunk, but not too sensitive such that if the guy seated behind the driver is completely hammered it picks up his breath, analyzes that someone is not fit to drive and stops the vehicle because a passenger drunk (and at this point you are playing with too many variables :smiley: )

there is currently a prototype from a swedish company thats showing promise but its still under research and development, and based on projections, it could be another couple of years before they fine tune everything for it to be a defacto standard.

so all these gadgets that everyone is saying are available are mere proprietary prototypes.

cc @kah tony , @Ice_Cube @Meria Mata @Deorro @introvert @Luther12

2 Likes

I say a fingerprint and alcoblow combo would be sufficent with periodic check-in intervals throughout the trip would work. Even as I write it, it sounds overly simplistic but it seems feasible.

1 Like

hapa lemme do some research(googling)

thats an option, but the million dollar question remain how often should it be done, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 5 minutes??, what happens if someone drinks in between the span and blacksout? what do you do if a sober driver fails to or does not want to do it?. to paraphrase one of the base conditions, the system should never inconvenience sober drivers, you have to keep in mind there are some people who have never touched alcohol, imagine forcing such a person to blow and/or scan a finger print when starting their own vehicle and every x minutes :D:D

these are the kind of constructive debates we need in this village, rudishia @Meria Mata his ES tittle

Hiyo atapata before the year ends with the new Ranking system.

You’ve gone from saying it’s not in production to the ‘research’ is in the name. I’m not talking about technicalities here. Its clear cut, I said interlock system is being used around the world, period! Whether it is still in its beta version or not, those are details.

I told you to Google so that I didn’t have to do it for you. Plus you’re discrediting my points by giving a lot of literature. @jimmy_m

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_interlock_device

no offence, just constructive sparring :D:D

are you sure you understand products life cycle ,research and development is too far down the pecking order to even be termed as production

you dont have to quote wikipedia for me :D:D ,check this out

http://www.dadss.org/#tech

there is a reason why in all their news updates its called a “research program”, have been following them for quite some time now

i will leave you with this two quotes

In 2013, NHTSA and ACTS extended their agreement to further develop and test the breath-based and touch-based prototypes to reduce the size and ensure they meet strict performance standards related to speed, accuracy, precision and reliability.

As part of the ongoing research, the prototypes will be integrated into vehicles for a series of field tests, which will allow engineers to observe driver behavior in natural settings and thoroughly test the systems in real-world scenarios.

PS. there are some sections of tech i dont even have to google , and this is one that i can talk about without fear of issuing false information. :D:D:D

Okay. I agree with you to disagree. It could be in the research phase or not in production as you have stated. Seems you’re as obstinate as I am. For a fact, I know it is being used whether it is prototype or not, how many need to be produced/used for it not to be a prototype?

I can also beckon my line of work to back up my claim.

We shall leave it at that. Thank you.

I think you guys are speaking at cross-purposes. @kah tony, @jimmy_m doesn’t dispute the existence of those systems as we have variously described. He agrees that different manufacturers have attempted and continue to research on a mix of various strategies. What he (@jimmy_m) is putting across is that at the moment however, there’s no single system that has emerged to be fully reliable as to be accepted industrywide and be backed legislatively.

1 Like

:D:D:D

Was a great debate and for once i met someone who could take positive criticism and respond constructively and informatively as opposed to the normal trend where dudes start hurling insults :D:D

looking forward to the next debate

BTW whats your take on the self driving tractors and smart farming technology

1 Like

Self driving tractors? Niliona moja inafanyiwa research Uropa, don’t quite recall where (Denmark?). Oh the design, very futuristic.

yes its quite impressive, relies heavily on GPS and sensors at the edges of the farms to know when to turn ([SIZE=2]i know a guy who was part of the team doing it for john deere :smiley: [/SIZE])

check it out, absolutely stunning