Economic Development: Energy demand.

By 2030 we need an installed capacity of 20GW. Assume East Africa integrates, which country would East Africans want to reside? This means we also need to improve urban infrastructure.

They don’t have to put up the poles. The ministry can subcontract that job since ERC has the power to setup such policies. They only have to pay for installing their lines. And it doesn’t have to be a pole. The county govt can provide land for underground tunneling and the respective power companies can pay taxes for it like everyone else.

If they can’t afford it then let them ship out and allow other competitors, that’s the whole point. And Japan’s electricity is only slightly expensive because of the nuclear accident so they have to source power from more expensive sources since they don’t want to build more nuclear plants

Also the privatisation isn’t about prices alone. KPLC is broke and can’t buy more power if kengen decided to build more stations. The country’s energy policy is held hostage because we have to rely on one incompetent company.

It is these diesel plants that make power expensive. Producing a Kwh cost 22kshs while geothermal and Hydro cost less than 3kshs. It’s funny, these plant also release a lot of carbon but WB still funds the projects. However, if we want to start a coal plant WB will lecture us on climate change daily.

Is Kenya power the problem or do they have a poor management board?

They spent all the money on faulty transformers then they hiked prices to compensate for the losses. Sasa they say they’re broke. The board ndio shida but as long as its a parastatal without a competitor hizi shida zitajirudia tu, so I’d say both are liabilities we must do away with if we are to compete with Ethiopia.

With all the coal in Kitui we need to have coal fired plants genereating over 2000MW. This will create a constant base load and make it cheap. Today, the world has tech that can recover over 70% of greenhouse gases.

Dominance is a problem in Kenya. In the telco sector, as much as we have 4g, fixed data is still lacking. I remember KPTC had a network of copper wire which went to waste yet it could be used for Adsl internet. Milk also has dominant players, the result, ever increasing prices. Yes, KP can be regionalized but that might create a problem in our volatile country. Privatization without competion will not work too.

Comparative analysis. Of our neighbors where are most placed? Above or below us?

Residential tarriffs are never an issue. What is the use of having tarrifs like Nigeria where entire regions get a maximum of 8 hours of power daily???
And btw, the graph is inaccurate. We are paying 19 cents per kWh, much higher than the graph.

Actually, residential tarrifs are much higher, at 19 cents per kwh ,not around 15 cents as it is shown here.Residential tarrifs are NOT much of a big deal so long as the power is reliable. What is the use of having cheap power like Zambia and Nigeria where entire regions have permanent power rationing?Until most Kenyans start buying stuff like Dryers, washing machines(I noticed people do not have them to date, even though I grew up with one) dishwashers, vacuum cleaners and the likes, the effect of a high domestic tarrif is not really felt by most of the population, especially in Kenya where we actually charge people more for using more power rather than the other way around.
What matters is the INDUSTRIAL TARRIFF.If we are to industrialize as a nation, it needs to be around 7 to 8 cents per kWh.If we need to have a slightly higher residential tarrif (like 12 cents per kWh after factoring all taxes, not this super high 19 cents) to balance it out, then that is okay.That is the norm even in nations like China, France, the US, Mexico and Brazil.

As a nation with duty free access to the US market under AGOA, we would be a major manufaCturing hub for exports to the US.South Africa exportsh over sh 100 billion worth of cars assembled and manufactured not for SADC or the South African internal market, but for the US and nations like Japan.
That is possible because South Africa has a cheap Industrial tarriff.
In 2008, LG wanted to establish a TV manfacturing plant in Kenya. The aim was to export to nations like India.Things like the purification of Silicon are energy intensive. The cost of power was the reason why they opted not to set up the plant.

The coal in mua basin is mired in controversy. There are compensation issues and county politics at play. The kambas are asking why mine it and take it to Lamu to produce power while the Lamu people are against a coal plant. Personally I think we can just export the stuff to China

Or simply build a power plant at Kitui.

Unajua kplc Nani majority single largest shareholder? Ukijua ndio utajua why Kenyans we are perpetually fucked by kplc.

Ilikuwa Ngina alafu akauzia Kirubi.

Huyo “anashikilia” to divert public attention,2022 by October ata " uzia" the same family the same shares .

Can’t happen ,land compensation must be given to land tycoons wale “walinunua” huko lamu .

A spot look at the largest shareholder is thw Government of Kenya with 90.3%

That may be true on paper ,but the reality is ,G.O.K headed by who? Third largest shareholder Ni Nani? Second largest shareholder Ni n.s.s.f under the call ya Nani?,mambo ingine my fren is just formalities.

Don’t be dramatic.
GOK, Treasury, NSSF and other institutional investors are the biggest shareholders.

Mama Ngina, the person you are talking about owns 0.11% of Kenya power. That’s 2.2 million shares, which she likely bought at the NSE.
By close of business today, KPLC share price hit Sh4, meaning Mama Ngina’s shares are worth a measly Sh8.8 million.

Nyinyi ni wale watu wa propaganda za muguka base.

Mama Ngina listed among Kenya Power's top shareholders - Business Daily

Internal manipulation ndio iwekwe under review for privatization, and be sold at a throw away price.How can a share fall from around 50bob enzi za kibaki to 4 Bob ,a company with no competitor and is growing it’s customer base,while reducing it’s operation cost by introducing pre paid metering , think my fren think.