Entry level software dev salary

[ATTACH=full]186712[/ATTACH]
This is just to give the OP some perspective on how some developer jobs go about. Look at this job ad that was circulating on Twitter today. The specifications being asked for are inversely proportional to the peanuts (in salary) being offered. This is how varied the remuneration aspects are.

Ivia Java code Enterprise kabisa, Laravel, PLSqL or Oracle, Bootstrap, Tibico na Linux before umalize campus. Then uende TechSavanna for recruitment utaingia sufferingcon

What’s your opinion on a Python/Postgresql/Django skillset?
Is it just as marketable?

It wouldn’t be reasonable for him to digest all this at once given the learning curve associated with some tech stacks. He should rather choose a path - maybe full-stack JavaScript in MEAN (Given that he is already familiar with a couple of JavaScript frameworks) or rather front-end, or just back-end development.

With all those profits hio ndio pesa wanalipa staff? Na si eti ni wengi

Python is not readily available in computer science degrees in this country so it’s somewhat a sought-after skill and a good number of companies especially startups have some of their tech stacks running on these MVC frameworks. It’s better to have it so as to be on the safe side when the company decides to change it’s tech stack some day.

You’ll never go hungry if you are good in Python. it’s the hottest skillset right now.

I wrote my first Hello World program in python. Found it quite interesing lakini I dropped it for javascript. Currently niko more front-end oriented but will improve on backend.

Front-end JavaScript is fast coming too. Frameworks to go by mostly being React/Angular.

Thanks for the validation @conoiseur , @Okwonkwo… am knee deep inthe learning and training of it all… Good to hear it’s a good move.

@conoiseur has given the best advice here…lakini the main point here is to be flexible…as long as you have the basics…picking up a new language on demand would be easy! Python is a good language and a popular one too, for this reason its easy to find cheap labour as someone mentioned, in the same workplace there will be someone willing to take less and less because competition is too high.

sir, Python and Gjango is the same thing… so you have no plus.Try Java&Python(both)… just have atleast two backends. as for Postgresql - is not a skillset… you need to have knowledge of at least 3 RDBMSs and atleast 1 NoSQL… Do not forget frontend… Angular/Nodejs/React/ionic have atleast 2 … ask someone a salary of 300K in and you will get it

Now let me put my comment here:

1. Stop the rush to work for tech firms just because you are a dev. There is no money. Go for banks, NGOs, Hospitals - that is where Dev get paid well. ignore
  2. Everyone wants, the market is headed towards Big data, Data mining, ML and finally AI - Have the following if you need value as a dev
    Backend - Python,Scala,Java
    Front End - Angular,React
    Db - Mysql,Postgresql,Oracle
    NoSQL - Hadoop/HBase, Mongo, Cassandra

have a part of each of the above… Entry with 2 year exp = 250K

The first point is quite intriguing because this is what actually happening today and I’ve experienced it firsthand.

How much do Microsoft Software Engineers get paid?

500k at Microsoft

Why would developers allowed to be underpaid. I mean they should know their worth!
Nobody sets salaries, even in the west. It’s just people (everyone individually) deciding that no we (I) am not going to be paid that, the hardwork I have put in, it’s not worth it and at the end of the day you find everyone adjusting their salaries

A neighbour said he gets 600k…we have others who earn in that region in NGOs but they all started down, around 50- 70, then they went into start ups…followed by the big breaks in the corporate world…but for most it has taken years to reach where they are right now.

remember you are competing with Asians who are willing to get a fifth of what you are demanding…that’s what I heard from my developer friends.

Hehe hiyo ni kubebwa ufala

Developers are expensive everywhere coz that thing is not easy. Indian/Asian developers are in fact more expensive coz they have tasted employment by many US companies who even though pay them less than whites in the US but still far more than Kenyans