Every street in Nairobi is either a bus station or a parking lot

Why supermarkets?

I think the first priority is for gov’t to get out of the city centre. We need to decentralize. Executive can sit in Isiolo, Judiciary in Kisii, Legislature in Voi, retain Nbi as commercial hub.

My two Polish zlotys.

policy makers are the same people who own these matatus

Pale archives za Kenya Railways niliona masterplan ya Nairobi Commuter Railways drafted in the late 50s-mid 60s…there was to be a ‘ring -road’ railway line connecting the line from Thika Rd/Ruiru at Ngara to Town, and a branch from Pumwani to town, then the Eastlands line(currently operating), a commuter line thru Kibra to Rongai and finally a line to Kitengela(currently passengerline defunct, only freight to Magadi Substation in Kajiado Town). The termini for these metro stations was to where Hilton Currently stands but old man Jomo grabbed that parcel akajenga Hoteli hapo. Currently almost all land reserved for this plan has been grabbed and built up.

Supermarkets among other establishments, like the stalls , have you seen how many supermarkets we have in the cbd? And the council markets should be moved as well, picture the cbd without them then that’s the answer to your question.

The damages that mzee did to this country are irreversible , people say nyayo destroyed this country, but in reality nyayo only got left overs .

It’s only natural that supermarkets will be where majority of the people are, which at the moment happens to be the city centre.

As for the council markets, I recall reading that the collapse of dedicated neighborhood/ estate markets run by local authorities is what gave rise to the now ubiquitous design of residential houses with shops on the ground floor.

Government should encourage expansion of the city, they should be busy enhancing infrastructure to attract guys to move out of the city, instead of playing PR ,with the mwananchi.
I recall studying all this in primary school GHC or something or is high school.
It’s just common sense.
I must applaud the decentralisation of government services, though slow.
You don’t need to come to the cbd a lot these days .
Right now we should have already had some super highways to environs of Nairobi, Kajiado, Thika, kikuyu and all, supported with some good rail system, hourly kinda schedule.
You wouldn’t mind living out of town .

Miguna

whatever happened to the planned metropolitan expansion project?

Too much vested interests. The people who are supposed to implement the plan (both in government and opposition) have grabbed land meant for that purpose.

There’s one humongous elephant in the room: land.

Damn, sometimes Kenya can be very depressing …

have you heard of public choice theory. Your individual vote is worthless, other voters realize this and that is why they remain ignorant about public policy. It would be too difficult anyway to explain to every person the technical, financial and economic analysis that go into every discussion