Exploitation of interns in Kenya.

You’re right.

…exchanging your [time] for money…

Interns serve a very useful purpose, don’t you know?

Kusafisha macho (na rungu)ya wazee :D:D

We have 10 interns in our office…they do 80% of the work as real employees hung their coats and go for their own rounds in town. Its way worse when the big boss is on leave…at one time I remember I walked into the office and from the reception to the back office were only interns. They are not paid a cent, just there for the experience. I usually give them 200/- almost daily for 10 mandazi. It’s the least I can do,plus they are real hard working hoping we will give them jobs. Very sad

@Mkulima kuja mbio.Kuna msaidizi hapa.

The difference between being an employee and working for yourself.:

SELF EMPLOYED.

You wake up in the morning and the thought of the challenges facing you that day make you wish you were working for someone else but with a stress-free life for less money.
But in the evening you go to bed satisfied, content and looking forward to the next day.

EMPLOYEE;

You wake up in the morning late and just about get out of bed unmotivated and looking for reasons to hate your boss and contemplating how little you plan to do for him because you hate your job so much and everyone at work pisses you off!
You come back in the evening even more pissed off by everyone and you admire the mama mboga who serves you because you think that she is in control of her life and she must be minting it!
You go to bed unsatisfied and wishing you were brave enough to put your dignity and pride to one side and just go for it!..
But you are not brave enough so you are stuck in the routine and you wake up the next day and do it all again!

Aaaaaaaaai hii sioni ukipenya, very unpopular

wacha nione if ntapata

What? Are you out of your mind? In every field experience is king.

Students pay school fees to get theoretical knowledge. Why should private organizations pay interns who have no real working experience? Organizations offer practical training… and it does not take more than 6 months. That should be enough to give someone real skills to be ready for a job.

Too many generalizations in this thrread.

There’s a big difference between an entitled individual and one who simply doesn’t have money for food and fare.

Fact remains that an intern is not a robot and must eat.

Trying to create a harsh stance on that is burying your head in the sand in order to get away with not paying them a cent.

He or she is also working. For the benefit of your company.

We are not saying that you should pay them the same as an employee, but that is a human being who had yo come to your premises(fare) and has a stomach(food).

Cater for at least food and fare as the bare minimum.

Who taught us kukaliana hivi?

T

hats why a new law says Every intern must be paid not less than 15k kwengine interns hawalipwi ilkuwa… and they said intern ikue 1-2yrs not 6 months … Hio ni sheria mpya

There has to be a trade off.

Intern gains hands on experience (no undergrad course will teach you how to configure a server/use reference software when writing Thesis/customer relationship skills amongst other soft skills).
The most invaluable lessons are learnt at this stage, chief among them perseverance & dealing with people !

Similarly an employer can only absorb a limited number of employees at a given time.

Christ on bicycle! Someone who has 5 years experience to be paid at the same rate as a fresh graduate? You have no basic understanding of work do you? It takes an experienced person 6 months to make a difference in a company. An intern has nothing absolutely nothing to offer any company. The company has a lot to offer from soft skills to hard skills. It is even worse with the so called millennial because unless a kid has been brought up maturely what you end up having in the office is a useless waste of flesh…kazi ni ku chew gum na ku swing juvenile arses.
The only thing I strongly advocate ni no intern should be sexually harassed because this is very rampant.

This is now exploitation

[COLOR=rgb(184, 49, 47)]ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR SOURCE. COPIED FROM SOMEWHERE

Most of the places I have worked, they are paid a stipend that allows them to commute to and from work and to eat a decent meal. Based on their interest, they are attached to an experienced member of staff to teach them the skills they identified they needed.

Of course it is not everywhere that happens and it is not to say they should be exploited.

Basic point is, if you want to learn, your attitude is different (unanyenyekea mwalimu wako) from if you are selling a skill to the highest bidder (you know your worth and don’t give af about your employer knowing you can step and get another job right?).

Once went to Safari park on a news docket nikashangaa kupata the service guys both gents and ladies are just kids from completing fourth form. Asked them kama job ni permanent wananisho ni kibarua tu. Apparently they are just brought in to supplement the existing task force halafu zikiisha hizo demanding jobs wanapewa tokens na kuchujwa

You and I are on the same page rafiki.