Five Million Miles From Pluto

Our moon is bigger than some planets?

Our moon is bigger than Pluto and most of the objects in the Kuiper belt. That’s why these objects have been reclassified as dwarf planets.
http://www.arcadiastreet.com/cgvistas/images/pluto_earth_charon_compared_600.jpg

Our moon is on the right. Pluto is the larger of the two bodies in the center. The other one is one of pluto’s five moons, Charon.

1 Like

Na hii kuiper belt ndio nini??

W

Waah! 45K?? That is some price there! But I’m aware those things are pricy, of course, depending on the particular model you are buying. The Chinese, like always have way cheaper ones. Shida ni how to go about buying online.

Oh boy oh boy, I can’t wait for Tuesday… Gotta see these Plutonean MOOS!!

Hmm, maybe that’s where the Pluto moos graze? Enyewe if you ask me, zinakaa cattle dips:D:D

1 Like

hio horizon iko standy by mode saa hii… cant collect info they trying to restart it but for every transmission made from earth will say 5.5 hrs. but iko salama

Well you know about the asteroid belt that is lies between Mars and Jupiter? Well the kuiper belt is similar to that one but is 20 - 200 times as massive. It lies beyond the orbit of Neptune but the difference between that the asteroid belt is that while the asteroid belt is made up or rocks the kuiper belt objects mostly are made of ices of methane, ammonia and water.

3 Likes

@Bangi, on a different note, I remember reading somewhere else that in terms of luminosity Venus is the only planet in the solar system brighter than the Earth! And if you were to make a billiard ball as big as the Earth, it would be more than 10 times more rough than the Earth, it’s mountains and valleys notwithstanding!

Actually Venus is the brightest planet in the solar system period. This is not only because the planet is similar to ours in size and is closer to ours than most others, but also because it has an atmosphere of dense clouds made up of sulfuric acid droplets and acidic crystals that reflect back into space 70% of the light from the sun.

Microscopically a the surface of a billiard ball is actually very rough, covered in deep grooves that in relative terms would be much higher than the highest mountains on Earth.

2 Likes

Mshipi ya @kush yule mnono

So we are comparable to germs on a ball bearing or some other smooth globular object. Na vile binadamu hudai he is the center of the universe.

2 Likes

Some 150 to 200 years ago some whiteys were determining presence, position and orbit of some of these planets without actually seeing them. Just by calculation.

1 Like

Yeah! They still do!

This is today’s Astronomy Picture of the Day

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1507/NewHorizonsLaunch_Cooper_1080.jpg

The image shows the launch of the New Horizons spacecraft, which happens to be one of the fastest spacecraft over built by humans. When it was launched in 2006, Pluto was still a planet.

It also a great wallpaper.

Source: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

1 Like

After pluto, where is the New Horizons spacecraft headed to?

New Horizons will keep going into the Kuiper Belt. Scientists are hoping that it may encounter objects in the Kuiper belt on it’s trajectory since it cannot be maneuvered. If it survives the Kuiper belt it will keep going and explore what’s called the outer heliosphere and the heliopause. The heliopause is the region where solar wind is no longer strong enough to have any effect on the surrounding interstellar medium. New Horizons if it makes it will be the third man-made object to reach that far after voyager I and II launched in 1997.

1 Like

Interesting! You really love astronomy.

Awesome!

Google!

Voyager 1 is far far away and continues to send info back to earth. If it does not collide with anything on its path, it will take 300years to reach the Oort cloud (this is where comets originate), take 30000years to pass through and will only be 12light years from Gliese the nearest star.

1 Like