From where did naming sons names like Njeri and Wambui originate from?

Makes sense now

Wewe unasema njeri? Na ile siku utakutana na jamaa anaitwa Njoki utasema nini?:D:D:D

call themselves, thats the key word

just out of curiosity in the example above, how comes the father is kamau wa mwangi, isntead of kamau wa (the mother’s name), also how comes the likes of ngugi wa thiongo who try hard to identify with the culture don’t carry the mother’s name

We Kikuyus are a matriachial society hata my Dad usually refers Himself as wa Wangui especially akiwa angry and wants to stress a point hata mimi nimejipata nikitumia my Moms name for the same very reason.

mbona hamushiki hio point,
ANAJIITA.

I was trying to highlight his father’s name. Of course he’d probably be Kamau wa Muthoni or something.

Btw ata WhatsApp group ya my mom and her siblings wameiita Nyũmba ya <cucu’s name>

Nyumba niya mutumia
Thingira niguo wa Muthuuri.
uka ngurute kirira

uri waigwa nyumba ya Gikuyu, no never, iitagwo nyumba ya Mumbi

ok, interesting to learn - so the actual name was the fathers name but the assumed or rather the aka was from the mother - because it seems the fathers name was still carried forward in the case above to name the sons

Babake alikuwa mKale wa Baringo. Just check his facial features, utaona.

Mkale was one of wenye walijitokeza but kazi sio kuzaa Bali ni kulea

Sio boys pekee,even gals from a singo mum family status huitanishwa na jina ya mama yao …like Muthoni Njeri,Njoki wa Wambui hivyo hivyo

The dad was allegedly a Kale…

Huyo Mkale alikuwa babake wanafanana tu sana. Nimekumbuka watoto wa Bishop Wanjiru na Kamangu.

Ni juu wakikuyu wana ufala.

Mugo wa Wairimu…

You are right Meria. There is a difference between a name being imposed on you at birth mpaka kwa birth certificate and naming yourself Wa Njeri etc but socially. TBH most of the guys kwenye nakaa call themselves by their Mum’s names…kwanza these ones have removed their names and go by the Mum’s name…wangirethi (Grace), wamushiko, wawanjiru, kanjeri etc. I actually forgot their real names.
However, I do not think any of the educated ones that carry their Mum’s surnames are embarrassed in this day and age. The family values broke down so some of their mums maybe daughters of single mums…so kutafta family tree ndiyo you get a man to name is not always applicable. BTW even daughters of single mums carry their Mum’s surname i.e my friend Natalie Njeri Wambui…

There is nothing much in a name…just that Kyuks love drama. Kaos, Luos, Luhyas etc name kids differently say after the seasons, after Raila kikiki etc.
Naming is a non ishu in my opinion.

Luos, yes.

1. Achieng’ Oneko (the late)
  2. Ambrose Adongo( the late)
  3. Boniface Adoyo
  4. Pollyns Ochieng Anyango(former mp Kasipul Kabondo)

Cant relate…Only Kikuyus wa masingle mothers can relate.