Game changing weapons and their role in empire building

very true the first thing the mongols did after conquest was to DFHKM any females around, then burn down the entire city

1 Like

That question is a tricky one. I can’t tell whether it was being content with what they had, or they weren’t adventurous enough. Maybe superstition came into play…but it’s a little annoying that all these empires existed in Africa and we know more about Greece and Rome than we do about them. Even in school, I remember textbooks would dedicate pages to kina Livingstone, Ludwig Krapf, Evelyn Baring, the queen and all these other beberus while only giving paragraphs to kina mekatilili, waiyaki, koitalel, sakawa. and other great kenyans. Hata sahii kwa internet, you’d be hard pressed to come across Swahili content. I don’t understand why.

1 Like

blame in on the narrowminded crafters of the 8-4-4=0 “system”. I first learnt of Mansa Musa in my primary history and then West African history between 3rd and fourth form. i daresy the old 7-4-2-3 system was better laid out and gave learners a wider worldview…

3 Likes

The problem with us Africans is that we are too myopic. Out of about 10 “dreamers”, Only one gets to accomplish his/her dreams.We see here and now( wacha nikule na watu Wangu sasa, leo ni leo msema kesho ni muongo). He had a good vision for Mali that he was able to implement. He was the USA of that time. On his way back from hajj he bought & brought all the smart folks and talent to his kingdom from Egypt. This propelled it to a center of knowledge in West Africa. After his death the state crumbled and everything was pilfered by the “andu a nyumba” of that time…there were no successive and visionary leaders that would continue with what he had started.

1 Like

There was an interesting feature about him on PBS just the other day. I was captivated by the research done on him. I never knew or heard anything of him before.

Based on the records and account witnesses the dude was the richest person in the world at that time and still is historically (dude was worth more than 200 billion in the 1300s from gold & salt). He is the only guy in the world that eclipsed the trillion mark when his wealth was pegged to current gold prices.

Funny enough the mines were later discovered by a certain European professor (can’t remember his name), who came across a map of the area where the famed ruins were. The prof. and his bankroller used crafty means to lay claim to the mines. After they restarted the mining operation, the Mwalimu never touched chalk nor returned to class again. He had never seen so much gold in his life.He became a wealthy fella.

3 Likes

Hehehe, I want to be this rich. I go holidaying in Tz and cause serious inflation until they declare me persona non grata

3 Likes

Now that we know better, it’s up to us to put up our history (whatever we can salvage) on the net and in our books so that the future generations can learn about our beautiful dark skin and be more African and not grow up kissing kardashian’s or nimi kinaj’s ass, listening to taylor swift at the expense of Zamajobe, Angelique Kidjo and Saida Caroli

Best way to start is to promote our music and our innovations, our struggles for independence or build a wikipedia on Africa and call it Africapedia

3 Likes

Some people like this need to be Mugabe’d