Gold mining in Kenya

Hiyo imekaliwa na First Nyukwa

Lots. My paternal grandfather mined gold at Macalder in the 40s-60s

Yes Western and Nyanza region’s Geological formations could be containing billion dollar worth of Gold unexplored.Even back at home small amounts of gold could be found along river beds, and unless you are using outdated and rudimentary equipments, am sure you can get alot of it.

True the most fertile grounds for gold mineralization are the Archaean cratons (red & pink in the map attached). These are the oldest known extant rocks on Earth. Their mineral wealth is a function of the fact that they were historically a part of the upper mantle which is usually rich in metals. Kenya’s only Archaean craton is a piece of the Tanzanian Craton which only exists in western Kenya and Nyanza. Feel free to correlate other African cratons in the mother continent with documented mineral endowment… e.g in Tanzania, South Africa, Congo and Zimbabwe. Nb that a small remnant Archaean craton is thought to exist in East-Central Kenya. Studies to corroborate this are ongoing[ATTACH=full]342877[/ATTACH]

Excellent information. Your map corresponds 100% with the location of gold mines in Tanzania. It seems the whole of nyanza and western is sitting on a gold mine, literally.

https://www.thebusinessyear.com/Content/articles/052_5278_01_b.jpg

Thanks @johnpombe … This is all scientific based. Alot of good, local based, scientific work occurs in the background amid the noise of politricks. As u know most scientists are averse to “politricks” and good social networks so at times excellent data just ends up gathering dust instead of being “Actioned” :smiley:

I have seen this interesting article.

Quote:

Although a number of local and international mining firms have been granted gold exploration licenses and have been operating in western Kenya, the country’s gold mining industry is still young and the gold-rich areas of western Kenya remain largely under-explored with thousands of artisanal and small-scale miners. The recent explorations conducted by the government and private companies are said to have revealed large gold deposits in western Kenya, which could lead to the large-scale commercial mining that could put Kenya on the map of the top gold producers in Africa.

According to the Mines and Geology Department at the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, the gold capacity of Migori alone stands at 34 tonnes per year, that could earn the country some 67 billion Kenya shillings (670 million USD) annually, according to a local report. Some mining experts are optimistic that Kenya could experience the gold rush in the next several years.

[B]https://www.epa.eu/assets/23618/1280[/B]

I agree the whole country is generally underexplored for sure.

Yes. I have seen this video on gold mining at Kapsaos huko kwa nandi escarpment that borders nyando. I think we can conclude that as per the map posted above, that the whole of western, nyanza and bordering parts of RV have gold.

And many more goldmines in Transmara… Been there.

Yes. Transmara borders migori county so the rocks should share some characteristics.