Govt of Kenya External Debt Register as at 30 September 2019

From my little business school classes I think guaranteed ziko na collateral yaani wameshika Kenya by the balls

Most of those loans ziki mature utakuwa wapi?

Saa hii local loans ni 10%+. Isn’t that arbitrage even if we are being charged 7%. Compunding the margin of 3% is what we call free money.

The only issue is if the money is not put to good use.

Correct. USA exim bank loan of 77 billion was advanced to KQ to acquire boeing planes. KQ is paying for it but government is the guarantee.

China Exim bank 680 billion loan at 2% is mostly from SGR construction. Phase 1 Nairobi-Mombasa 360 billion and Nairobi-Naivasha-Narok 150 billion. Total 510 billion. The port was never a collateral to any project. That’s just propaganda from the west to try slow down China growing influence in Africa by scaremongering. The others are loans mostly roads like Southern bypass, the ongoing western bypass etc very long list.

"According to a statement issued on Dec 25 by Hua Chunying, spokeswoman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, the ministry had checked with the relevant Chinese financial institution and found that the allegation that the Kenyan government used the Mombasa port as collateral in its payment agreement for the Nairobi-Mombasa railway was not true. “At present, China-Kenya cooperation on the Mombasa-Nairobi railway is progressing smoothly,” she said.

Hua refuted claims that African countries were at risk of being overburdened with Chinese loans, saying feasibility studies are conducted before the projects are undertaken.

“When cooperating with African countries, including Kenya, Chinese companies and financial institutions will always conduct joint and thorough scientific study on the feasibility of the projects and then proceed to determine construction and funding plans and scales to guard against causing debt risks and fiscal burdens for Africa,” she said.

Let’s remember the allegations of Mombasa port as collateral was from one fake letter from Edward Auko of Auditor general office in Mombasa. The person or the office don’t exist but that story was spin by all west media just before FOCAC conference in Beijing. It was not a coincidence.

@spear GoK pia wako na deni yangu ya 100k ina mature in 10 years ongezeeni. Lakini vile kunaenda naeza amua ni cash mapema kabla sirikali itupwe Kwa CRB.

Hey,

Sorry, if this sounds random but a while back you posted these two photos of the external debt register as at September 2019. I’m a Kenyan researcher working on an article related to transparency in China-Kenya contracts. I could only find the 2009 and 2015 debt registers on the Treasuru website. Would you please tell me how to access the 2019 register or where I could get it? Or if you still have any other photos from the register and would be kind enough to send them to me, I would extremely appreciate it. If it means anything, it is for a good cause. I actually made an account just to ask about this.