Head starts in life

Typical dumb African. Yaani you have to find a way to bring sex even when the topic at discussion couldn’t have been further. Kitu imejaa your head ni sex sex sex like a wild baboon.

:):):slight_smile: @gashwin nunulia vijana ploti wacha ugamu.
Anyway I was just illustrating a general trend in western, my father has done better than that and I will forever be grateful to him. But he always says that their father, who is my grandfather (obviously), apart from education, gave them everything they needed to succeed, including the right networks and exposure. My younger uncles have gone overboard though; I see them buying land, apartments and even cars for their kids on graduation…trust me, those kids have a proper headstart in life. Nowadays I see so many parents do that…na usiseme ni kuaribu watoto…hii Kenya if you don’t invest for your kids now then they are doomed…do it for them but don’t tell them,or even give it to them now…let them attain a certain maturity and show responsibility then reward them.

You realize you mentioned sex four times

Nowadays, merely sending your kids to school is not enough, in fact it’s the minimum that’s expected of you. There were days when even a form four education guaranteed one a job. Lakini sikuhizi even people who’ve done their masters are scrambling for internship at Tuskys, so education is just a very basic necessity. Some still have that annoying habit of telling their kids to leave once they turn 18, that’s so fucked up. To give your children a smooth life, you must ensure that on top of educating them, you bequeath them some asset that will give them that headstart. Of course there are those who do everything right, only for the stupid child(ren) to piss everything away, but I believe most make good use of it. If you study most huge companies, or successful individuals, you’ll realize that they’ve been at it for decades, over many generations. Even these rich guys like Bill Gates, Evan Spiegel, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zukerberg and Larry Page like talking about how “I started my company from my garage”, until you realize that they were already doing well. Someone who can afford to take their kid to Princeton, Harvard and Stanford is not exactly struggling. Plus most of them were given seed money by their parents, which went a long way in making their dreams a reality.
How many people in the world have great ideas but cannot even make enough money to pay rent?

I think there are different schools of thought when it comes to giving your kids money, akina bill gates, warren and the likes believe that kids should sort themselves and have promised to give much of their cash to charity, I am of the same school, I believe a parent is supposed to prepare the kid for life, not try to give the kid life - just prepare them, invest in them when young and let them be when they grow up, they will find their best path.

maybe its peasantry :), but I also have gotten to a place in life where I don’t feel envious of my former school mates who seem to be doing better than me, I am comfortable and happy with what I am doing and my prayer siku hizi is that my kids get to be happy in their lives.

But you have to remember if a billionaire like bill gates, who’s worth 90 billion dollars, gives 95% of his wealth to charity and leaves his children the rest, he’s still leaving them 4.5 billion dollars, which is not a small amount by any measure. It’s not exactly the same thing as telling your child “nimekusomesha, umekuwa mwanaume sasa, toka ukajitafutie” on his 18th birthday.

I see it as the same, bill gates kids are used to a lifestyle that is worth 50+ billions so leaving them with 4 billions is a big downgrade, that said its the school of thought that kids should be allowed to work their way in life, if gates kids want to be at the same level as their father they will have to put in alot of work.

Okay don’t be an idiot. Someone with 4 billion dollars can lead the exact same life as one with a 100 billion. There is a point in acquiring wealth which when you reach you can literally buy anything you want in this world. Any other money you earn from that point will just reflect on your bank account. It’s pretty safe to say 1 billion dollars would be that point.

not really, the status of one with 50+ billions is very different from one with 4 billions, wealth is not all about ‘eating’ if that was the case even 1 million would be more than enough, you also have to consider the status and prestige, with 100 billion even the government will seek your opinion in some matters.
Its not the same, at those levels money is not about survival its about ‘being worked’

:):):):slight_smile:
Hii Ktalk retards ni wengi boss.

Looks like we are thinking from two different perspectives. I am thinking from a materialistic point of view while you speaking from a status and power angle. I get you though.

I don’t compare myself to anyone. I don’t look down on those who aren’t at my level nor envy those who made it big early and faster. Everyone has his/her own path!

I always tell younger guys not to panic as long as they don’t do anything detrimental ie

1. Getting addicted to drugs and alcohol
   2. Buying things they can't afford (e.g.                  getting a loan for weddings or                             buying liabilities.)
  3. Marring the wrong person

As long as you continue doing what you do… someday those things will come… steadily and surely…

Personally I started at the bottom… while my peers were buying cars and getting married I was helping my mom pay school fees for my sibblings! I didn’t resign to hopelessness or stopped taking risks, didn’t stop being inovative, I was always ambitious.

I bought my first property in 2006. It wasn’t until 2012 that I had a break when I sold it at crazy profit! In less than six months I was dealing big! That’s how I found myself in the construction and real estate.

So never lose the focus!! Keep keeping on!

True

I think investing in your child’s quality education is very important. Avoid public Kenyan schools like the plague if possible. For university, educate them outside the country like how clever Nigerians and Indians do. Alafu when it comes to course selection, never allow your kids to study useless degrees like sociology or history. I’m sure there are careers of tomorrow we don’t even know of…stay in the know so you can always advise them. God help me all my children will be medical doctors whether they like it or not. Sorry kids…
I thank my old man for investing in land when it was still dirt cheap. I don’t look at gaining anything for myself but everyday us kids admire and congratulate his vision. Tunaomba girl child aweze ku inherit kakitu jameni.

There is no useless course. Any history, sociology, literature or philosophy graduate here without a job for the last 2yrs? probably non. The other day BIEA and some independent institution and a dozen think tanks were hiring them in hundreds while banks were laying off their staff. Post grad positions and research related opportunities esp abroad are very many. Don’t use our twisted labour market and over glorification of a few courses cloud the fact that all these disciplines are interrelated and need each other…and from the posts I read here many Ktalkers will soon pay a premium to get services from psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, fitness experts, dieticians, environmentalists, and languists/language experts. Innovations in sciences will/are bringing side effects which will require help from the courses you so despise. Wacha watoto wajichakulie, your daughter might make a very great ballerina or even athlete.

Ok sawa, you go ahead and make that gamble with your progeny. I speak as though I know about tomorrow, but I don’t. If I did (inshallah) and all other things remain constant, my kids can do dance/ballerina/fitness classes/music as extracurricular activities lakini main career ni medicine/surgery, period. M2Random once said if you’re not doing what Indians are doing then you’re on the wrong path. Those guys see ahead…Indian families number one choice of career is medicine, then engineering including computers and lastly business. In that order, strictly.
ION, I read somewhere that the type of musical instrument your kids play matters. String instruments have been correlated with better mathematical ability than non-string ones. No wonder I see these upscale people’s kids all playing the violin. Hmm
There’s a well trodden path the upper class are familiar with in replicating success to their children. I won’t deviate from it. I’m a strong believer in STEM courses only, no funny degrees like sociology lol. The choice of career one undertakes is the difference between a good salary and a bad one. It influences which neighborhood you live in, what car you drive and so much more. Choices have real consequences people…You allow your kids to study crap courses they will forever suffer from one dead end job to another. Proper career advice is giving your child the best headstart in life.