How much do Microsoft Software Engineers in Kenya earn?

Uko na uwongo sana kasia hii.Ulikuwa umeenda wapi kwanza

Software development is about solving problems. That’s what these organizations are about. In kenya software development ni kutafuta mshahara wa 200K +

Truth be told, if these western software engineers were kenyan, they would probably never work for any blue-chip. they would be developing software for various sectors with low IT penetration and minting millions.

With a paycheck of 200K you would need 4 years of saving every penny to afford a Range-rover. and another 10 years to afford an acre piece of land in our leafy suburbs.

This attitude ya kuajiriwa is epitomized here on ktalk

1 Like

Kama gani?

Yes…but in reputable companies, kina Safaricom, Cellulant, Cyton Investments, Centum Investments/affiliates, banks e.t.c…I know there are places you will get salaries of 30-50k but banks like KCB and NCBA pays 250k for a software dev therefore the average(Verified on glassdoor the average in Kenya is 100k). I am a developer/analyst and my average was based on what me and my peers get. Andela has very few, if any allowances but they provide you with 2-3 meals a day, a new Macbook and some hostels (don’t know if they still do)

There’s a lady in our uni who got a job there as a junior dev. She probably earns not less than 100k

I’m a software engineering leader also running a startup, I lost 3 engineers to microsoft, they were also my buddies and I know what am talking about. D1 engineers at andela earn 82k, d2 about 140, d3 about 210 d4 at 310 I believe. I know there is a group at 450 . The engineering team leads even earn higher

kama IT Manager wa an NGO i know anakula karibu 500k, ofcourse senior devs wata earn much more

Kids of today should appreciate us who have been in the industry, in my capacity, i’ve written alot about retaining software engineers and one of the things i have pushed across in many organizations is commensurate compensation of engineering talent and local talent in general. you cant pay a jungu engineer 1.2m and pay a nyeuthi engineer 200k for the same work. I refused and both organizations i worked in upped significantly the compensation… so the market is in an upward trajectory.

I wonder why many Africans are like that. You pay a mzungu software engineer in millions but peanuts for a Kenyan engineer who are doing the same job with the same experience and capabilities

That is the same shiet African scientists at ILRI have had to contend with.

1 Like

Manze johh wame ruin my confidence :smiley:

You might think 750k is a stretch but wait till you hear how much their CEO earns

This must be painful

I did my internship in Microsoft Kenya hapo Westlands…
Salary ni 600k
Intern nilikua napata 60k for 3 months

60k for three months? that’s way below the market rate. Andela I used to get 530k gross an ata siku bargain salo…

I personally know jobless ex FAANG (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google) software engineers…market ni chafu mbaya…sembuse ukiwa kanairo…the posts here ni upuzi mtupu…na compe ni noma especially kama resume yako ni vajo na huna miaka of serious projects na degree from top uni…ukiwa na cert ya Andela :smiley: :smiley: AI will kick your resume out the door as soon as you submit job application

Kwanza with the rate of AI progress…neural nets will replace 80%…market ili shift kitambo

Kuna jamaa najua alipata job microsoft not long ago. His current lifestyle haikai ya jamaa anaearn the figures mentioned above. Yeye i think ni junior developer tu lakini

Kama mimi…

Tru dat

Maragoli ulianguka diploma in computer studies