Hustler Fund: My optimistic opinion

Many of Kenyans had or still have access to the small amount loans from mobile apps that they can use to do that small businesses.
The idea is good but implementation raises a lot of questions. Yes, they tried to avoid bureaucracy in the disbursement but that also means opening the app to all, the deserving and the not-deserving. Many salaried/ employed people will get the loan to buy shopping, drinks, fare, etc, with no intention of investing.
The fund should have been directed to existing micro-SMEs first and then carefully channeled to those who want to start businesses.
For example, every market in kenya is organised and it would be possible through the chiefs and ward administrators to identify genuine traders who qualify for the loan. The same case applies to farmers, boda boda guys, etc. They can get loans based on their line of business.
Those who want to start businesses could be financed to buy the stock directly or equipment such as car wash pumps, motor bikes, seedlings, etc.

Ni interest rate pekee in my view. Sioni tofauti ingine.

I would like to talk to the manager…errrr…the financial engineer who designed this product :smiley:

All that is well and good but what about it is so different from the myriad of other loan apps that already exist? Why can’t someone get a loan from likes of tala, auze njugu as you say, halafu arudishe?

All problems people have with these apps is that people don’t want to repay loans. They want free money. As many have even confessed on this forum of borrowing then going mute. Halafu mnalalamika pastor ama boss kazini akitumiwa text message akueleze ulipe.

My prediction is that kama kawaida mkenya ata borrow, aekelee kwa bet iungue ama aende keg/jaba base, ashindwe kulipa, aanze kulia serikali imemweka crb blacklist

I have never seen Raila losing the propaganda war this badly. He is taking hits from every direction. :smiley:

Uppercuts, left, rights…

[ATTACH=full]482035[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]482034[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]482033[/ATTACH]

Amezeeka.

Some of those apps charge over 100% interest per year.

Location matters. One day on your spare time, walk to country bus and talk to one of the men who hawk from bus to bus. Ask him about his small business model and the dependents it supports. They borrow most of the stock when starting and the whole sale shop owner has to know you. That access to low interest cash will certainly be something, if not everything.

Hapo sasa, massin inatoka Urumchi , imewekwa oil ya blue whale. Nitanyoa kuma za mabibi za watu zigeuke glass spheres

Then we gonna have 10 million hustlers slinging sweets in the streets ama… Just convert it to a grant

Mlipatia kra pin ya mpesa watoe statement.

But do you sign up with them to take a year long loan? Are they not designed and marketed as short term loans? Year long loans people go to saccos and banks.

Kenyans just love free money, then when they abuse the terms of service they are the first to complain.

Majority of the targeted people need short term loans to fix emergencies that a bank or sacco wouldn’t consider worth paying attention to. It’s here uplift whoever deserves uplifting from poverty, as well as other focused business people. Most people ‘mistreating’ this kind of money are salaried people who are just borrowing for mockery’s sake.

That’s just one scenario. Think of the bodaboda guy who couln’t accept a delivery job because he didn’t have enough fuel to cover the distance; The campus student who just needs 500 to buy 20 female tops at gikomba to sell them at school for 50 bob to get pocket money; The welder who almost lost a gate design job because his power tokens were running out and the deadline has to be met, The young farmer who needs 300 bob NOW for a fungucide to save his crop and repay using his chama savings next week. Etc. Kuna wenye itasaidia sana.

Its not revolutionary but

Hustler fund has absolutely nothing to do with economics…hii ni political in my opinion.

Halafu pia so far so far source of funds is unknown…jijazie.

Kuna thread tulisema ruto would be a fool to take on kina mshwari head on…option ni a open market to competitors with better/similar products at discounted rates…tukasema hata afungue milk processing to rival brookside.

Cure will be dtermined by how fast na rate ya growth ya credit limit yako…ukiona jamaa amebaki kwa hio 500/1000 for like 12 months (in my opinion) jua ni upuzi but ukikopa ukisonga biz inagrow…hapo sawa.

Mind you sijui terms conditions na sija apply…but peana benefit of doubt…acxess to cheap credit is a major concern for kenyans of low incomes. Hauwezi rushia msee indisciplined tenga 50 to hivyo…

All these scenarios you are giving are from a theoretical idealistic point of view. The free market has already given us options for such short term forms of credit which if were used according to your ideal scenarios, would work perfectly. But it’s not about ideal scenarios here, it’s about reality.

I’m here telling you the ugly truth that everyone knows but few acknowledge

Biashara ya fish farming iko aje? For small scale farming, do you need massive amounts of fresh water?

@Tommy Kwesule ndio hio pesa ya kuekelea bet. Umewekelea shilingi siku mingi sana.
@hakimoto Sasa ni urushe odds kwa wingi :D:D

Honestly sijawahi fanya fish farming sina practical experience il answer you from what ive seen around.

First you have to define small scale.

Labour intensive inataka mtu aji commit whether ni fish pond ama fish cage farming.

Risky sana ukitry ku cut corners source everything from licensed dealers/suppliers.

Lastly i cant quantify amount of water kwasababu sisi tuko kwa lake fish ponds have inlets and outlets na fish cage ziko kwa maji…so i cant say like 100 cubic metres per hour…hapo just consult a pro.

But market ya fish iko.

Do we merge the small businesses or do we kill them off? And which examples of the small businesses are you talking about?