International Curriculum Vs 844

exactly. There is nothing magical about those international systems.

1 Like

reread my comment. was replying to Nairobilay’s comment.

how do you surpass your limit?

The fields you have mentioned are not what the agriculture in school teaches you. You were taught how to plant mbogas, nothing critical in that respect. And most of the stuff that will lead you into those fields are a result of stuff you do in science classes like chem and bio.
As for arts and craft, the same thing applies. Art is subjective, so how can you examine me on it? if you want to test me on the history of art, the influences of different art on the interior deco or graphic design then thats a different thing altogether. Technical drawing that was/is examinable was different, as you had to be taught to use specific tools to produce very technical drawings.
The humanities i do not object to learning. Literature, history or philosophy, I can see practical use of that is research and critical thinking

There’s a misconception that a farmer need not be formally educated and that’s wrong thinking. If more of these guys were back in the farms practicing what they learnt our agricultural output would be sky high

1 Like

I didn’t let Schooling interfere with my Education.

1 Like

The farmer most definitely needs to be educated. If he is to understand how to increase output then its a plus.
But let me put this question out there for anyone who did agriculture in high school (because I didnt) and i may be misinformed as to what was taught, what skills were you taught that you can remember?

For me? It was in Primary School. Growing stuff in open air or water… I do my own sprouts for salads and keep lettuce leaves going for a while in a bowl of water … I also start off potatoes this way before transplanting :slight_smile: yeah I do a bit of gardening here and there …

2 Likes

boss those subjects are optional meaning you need to have talent for art or special interest. you need to understand how the planting of maize in high school connects to the science in uni. in high sch. you ate taught how to organize the farm how to plant; rhe varioilus seed types and fertilizers, soil types, how to yest for soil types(use a soil augur for this.I learnt this in form two) so when you go to uni you study the science behind all that you learnt in high school. Chem and bio are basic sciences that inform many courses incl medicine pharmacy horticulture engineering etc. Also remember high sch. does not only prepare you for uni but othe colleges and vocational training or even self employment. A student from Kericho would benefit from studying agric in high sch even if they dont go to uni. understand the role and purpose of education

1 Like

I wont lie, any critical thinking I learnt came in campus and it was a serious adjustment. The problem with the 8-4-4 system is that it doesnt allow for argument/analytical thinking. It wants things given back to you the same way.

One practical example i will give you because it happened to me was when doing my bio mock exams. I used to get tution (tuition?) from a guy in 4th year who was do his Bsc Bio-science in UON. So when it came to explaining some things, he would go the extra mile and explain why things were happening. Like in virus replication. The moment i added this facts in answering a question on how a virus replicates in a cell, they were all circled red and labelled as “unnecessary”.
I can assure you if you found a different method of solving an equation in math different from what the examiner/marker knew, you will most certainly lose marks.

4 Likes

I was also responding to him. I quoted the wrong person…my hand has touched the ground

M

Madam …
I have never set foot in an agriculture class in my life.
I would say farming should be a hand on learning.
It is more informal.
You didn’t need to go to class to do that.
If you grew up near a farm and you were interested you would learn those things in a better way.
I was practicing organ farming even before I knew of it existence

Not all of us were lucky enough to grow up on a farm…

1 Like

I did. I can remember almost everything i was taught if not everything. For me, the best part of it was record keeping and agribusiness. Agricultural economics na vitu kama hizo. I use those skills a lot.

1 Like

Informal learning on farming is all right if you want to keep growing maize to only feed your family. That is why watu wengi gicagi are still planting maize and beans while there are numerous opportunities to plant more economically-beneficial crops. Those farmers who are after serious money either have to study themselves or seek the advice of people who have studied agriculture in college.

2 Likes

@nairobilay I studied agric up to form two and opted for commerce. They do teach great practical things. How to organize your farm how to intercrop and or crop rotation there ate specs depending on the nutritional needs of specific crops and the impact of a crop on the soil. you dont want to do intercropping of two crops competing for the same nutrients in the soil. organic farming, that’s how to make your compost manure (did it in form two and practice it ushago). different soil types and crops/ seeds best suited for them when you buy maize seeds unaulizwa unataka 624 ama sijui 513 a guy fresh from high sch agric class anakishow hizo zote. then they study farm animals rabbits like New Zealand White, Chinchilla (studied this in Form 2) and the climate they do well in how to slaughter them, cross breeding fresher and jersey for cows etc. mambo mob poa. I want to get to serious farming and my first stop will be high sch agric text book

@le scumbag which school is that if you don’t mind me asking? Doesn’t sound like too much of a bad arrangement.

He he he…=“Nefertities, post: 115873, member: 1310”]Not all of us were lucky enough to grow up on a farm…
[/QUOTE]

Hehehe…
The baseline was things like agriculture should be taught the practical bit more.
I knew how to check for mastitis while in class three.
I could if a carcass is safe to eat before I knew that somebody went to school for kindu 16yrs just to come and do exactly what grandfather did.

this is not a problem wotj the system but the teacher marking your script…I did commerce and would use CPA notes given by my girlfriend’s bro and the teacher would give me a half mark bonus for extra info