IT Certifications in the Kenyan Market

Currently hustle yangu sio demanding hence wanted to do as many certs as possible. CCNA alone inakaa too little.

Salimia Mworia.

Good. Some need practice to maintain them.

I will…Talkers wanakuwaga wasito chini ya maji. Ni vile kijiji ni place ya kupunguza stress nikisoma upuss comments na kutafuta good deals and life skills

True, the village makes us equal.

Sasa mmesemaje wakubwa. CCNA should be coupleD with MCSA or its better to just head straight into CCNP?

Naona wewe ni kama unataka kuwa sys admin. my niko core networking hizi zingine ni side dish. either way after 3 years,cert ya ccna ikiexpire, you will have to pass other Cisco programs

CISA, MCSE, Oracle DBA etc

Before 3 years nitakua nime advance to CCNP. Since core ni networking, side dish ndio natafuta sasa ya kuongezea for the time being. Kufanya CCNP bila job experience haikai idea poa.

To the OP.

You seem to be starting out on your IT career. Karibu sana. If i were in your shoes, i would complete that ccna first, you already have momentum and the second exam is a continuation of the first exam. I would then consider entry level Windows Admin certification, and then a solid understanding of administering sql server databases. It will also be helpful to have a solid understanding office applications as well as scripting in powershell or python. This skillset will get you an entry level job in any shop that uses Microsoft.

VMWare is for more advanced shops and will be handled by more experienced hands.

Talkers feel free to critique my opinion. I have been away for a while and may not have the exact feel of the market.

I would take oracle and Linux.

Why? I thought most Kenyan shops run on Windows. Why restrict an entrant to very few job opportunities in oracle/unix world? I may be wrong, but i believe there are very few opportunities in this area.

BTW OP, do you have a theoretical foundation course (degree/diploma) in IT? It is always helpful in the long term.

Oracle and Linux pay well unlike windows. Unless you want to be a support desk person, get beyond Windows.

Agreed. The pay is better for Unix/Oracle path. I was looking at it from an entrant point of view. Yeye anahitaji kitunguu inuke. Once he gets a job, he can afford to build a home lab. Asome ajiendeleze kwa hizo skills zingine that will land him the next better paying job.

This is the sort of advice I was looking for. So it should be sort of CCNA—>MCSA—>ORACLE OCA although I think the MCSA has sql stuff in there so somehow the MCSA alone looks like the next step right?

So for this path CCNA---->LINUX+/LPIC1---->OCA. I was actually thinking of the MCSA because I saw it’s more of server administration not because I want to land a help desk job.

Thanks @dennis_darren. For now, concentrate on ccna, once done do mcsa, keep applying for jobs. Hang out with people who can give you leads to jobs (thats very important!). Keep looking at the job marketplace for skills that employers are looking for. Keep sharpening your axe with new skills. Challenge yourself, build a data centre in your room.

BTW, you dont need a lot of money to build a data centre start here http://www.tomshardware.com

You cant be too choosy at this stage, evaluate the market and look for low hanging fruits that can help you scale up.

Data Centre maybe after landing a job. Equipment specifically cisco hardware is very expensive. Saw 2960s going for over 60k, unless am looking in the wrong places it’s out of reach for now.