IT professionals saidieni

Hehehe…You don’t want us to compare our IT papers, do you?

Mim nimekuja hapa kusema AntiVirus inaitwa MalwareBytes. Hii ndiyo ime-win competitions zote za security in these years achana na traditional AV like AVG, Kaspersky na Avast…hizi ni vitu za kitambo. Google MalwareBytes

No we won’t…

Thank you

Hehehe…
Noma. What Windows version do you have? Mimi since windows 7 nimetumia Windows defender, na since 8 and 10 come preloaded, nimekaa nayo, na sijawai kuwa na wasiwasi; though most of my time i spend it on Linux. But i can tell you, kama wasiwasi ni virus, then you shouldn’t be using it on windows, heri utafute changes via linux by checking the dates. Then baadaye unaeza weka hizo anti-whatever and scan it via windows…

my mantra exactly…kila mtu anunue harddisk/flash yake. Iyo ya recycler @Jimmym kuna time alinisort na command ya ku enable folders.

Attrib…

Link please ya hizi compe.
Malwarebytes hutumika to supplement primary AV

Ni vitu za kitambo, lakini work on several levels. Malwarebytes is more of an anti malware…

@imei2012 Your drive is infected, scan it and your machine too. Kuna virusi it hides all content and creates shortcuts. I have used AVG for years never had issues, its effective ita toa hiyo virus.

Ungeweka 4-leaved clover…

What I can see is that your hard disk had a virus, (refer to the section you said you haven’t used any antivirus in your lifetime!), when that guy hired your HDD and plugged it in his computer/laptop, his antivirus quickly scanned and hid the files.

You didn’t tell us about the above bolded part, all you did was try to unhide the files and thus why all the files where bundled in the hidden folder named ‘Drive’. In this case you have to live with it as it is coz the only way to return it back to normal is by backing up all the data in a different drive, formatting the damn thing then restoring the data as it should be without been bundled in the ‘Drive’ folder.

This option can’t be done coz you don’t have enough back up room.

Next time delete anything that has a shortcut icon, then run CMD and type the following command:

C:> Attrib -H -R -S D:*.* /s /d

(assuming that D:\ is your drive letter)
…then press the return key.

I used my external drive in an apple machine and I experienced these same problems.

Wrong! There is no antivirus in the world that hides any user file whatsoever. The other guy’s computer had a virus that hid the files and infected the drive.

@imei2012 If you attempted to open on those links then you probably infected your computer too. Look into the W32/Sality virus which infected EXE files as well. It spread the same way. Also DR/AutoItGen virus spread via shortcuts.

Delete all shortcuts on drive using the command > del /S /F /Q *.lnk then use command given by @Chloe to unhide the files. I would not trust a .exe file in there. Get an antivirus while at it.

Nimeona hiyo part ya antivirus hiding files nikashangaa form ni gani. AVs quarantine files in their own encrypted folder. Our village osungu.dll blonde ni kama amekunywa phombe on a weekday

Thanks for that little correction but you forgot “Skypee” :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Skypee is part of the AutoIt3 family of worms/viruses.

Call me the village blonde but you got the message I was passing. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No, I did not.
First you assumed the pal’s av hid the files which is a wrong assumption.
Next you tell him to backup his data to a different HD and format his, assuming his hd was really infected, backing up to a different drive means infecting that too.

Best way would be to scan it with an AV,
When done analyse the results since there are false positives too.
Delete vitu hajui from those results and restore vitu anajua.
Delete the shortcuts, if the Av did not remove em
Use the your attrib command to restore or show hidden files and folders.

Hii stori yoote ni juu ya kupewa challenge na pinky au sio? Kubali tu! You got the message.