It's time to change the education system

Personally, I’m still miffed at the ministry’s measure to scrap examining so-called technical subjects a few years back, stuff like Home Science, Art & Craft, Agriculture, Music, etc. I just don’t understand how a predominantly agricultural economy like ours can decide that it’s not important to examine this subject. Let’s face it, as long as it’s not examined then it certainly won’t be taught hata ikibaki kwa timetable. Nowadays we have full grown adults who cannot sew on a button if their lives depended on it.

I foresee a situation where, in some few years to come, fellows in so-called blue-collar jobs will be the ones raking in the big bucks as is already happening in some western economies. Fellows like welders, plumbers, masons, truckers, tailors, mechanics, etc will be in great demand because we have muddled up our education so much with undue focus on white-collar jobs. Am I the only one who noticed a few years back that Mumias Sugar Co. had to import welders (from I think Philippines) a few years back when they were upgrading their factory?

4 Likes

Actually, what you’ve described applies only to a small minority. The greater number are those who do not yet know. The idea is (or should be) to expose you to a wide variety of fields so as to guide the pupil in making that decision. That’s how I ended up being where I am. At various stages in my life I variously wanted to be a pilot, architect, etc etc.

On the whole though, I agree with you on one thing: we need structures to identify and nurture talents from a young age. We also need greater flexibility in our education. I recall, just as an example, the likes of kina Tevin Campbell who began singing while still in school and would take a break from education to concentrate on their talent then come back later to finish from where they’d paused.

1 Like

I agree. Lets scrap some of these subjects and remain with dore subjects and have agriculture, home science, art and craft, creative arts, woodwork, music, drama etc be taught. Nowadays i see musicians and music teachers, actors, fundis earn alot. While others are still tarmacing.

1 Like

@Luther-Umeongea kama njuuri yote…

This scenario is already with us. A year ago I was doing some home improvements and spent two weeks chasing a metal worker/welder who had too many jobs to attend to my “small” one. Didn’t matter I was spending 90,000/= on the whole project. Eventually i had to pay another one 50 pc more to have the job done.
One needs only to look at our economy and realize where jobs will be sprouting “like measles” as we say where I come from- petroleum, energy, construction, transport, communications - jobs that will be requiring technicians. But where are we? Kaimenyi is still warning teachers about holiday tuition when I think he should be the spearhead of a complete shift from a system where the end product is “papers” to one where we are equiping the future generation with “skills” that will build the infrastructure for Vision 2030…

2 Likes

The system ensures that’s you learn A-Z but it has not addressed Z-A…most grown up graduates cannot recite alphabets from Z-A…

I agree on nurturing talents from early age. I always wonder why it’s hard for government cannot supportt young people we see wanatengeneza ndege local. Imagine such talent going to waste just because they are not encouraged…tutakaa sana ndio tuwe industrialised

Sasa hii ndio shida ya watu sasa. I have been making my own decisions from class 8 n i calmly explain to my parents why. After form 4 my parents wanted me to do econ courses quoting some people they know doing best in such fields but i said no n choose a different path. Ask my mom what i do n she will tell you that hajui. I don’t think its hard to sit down your parent n calmly tell them why you have interests in a particular area. Glad i had understanding parents

I don’t know that grading is a bad idea. It kind of gives kids feedback on how they’re performing in relation to their peers. Maybe the way its executed is the problem.

I have vowed to either resort to Montessori or homeschooling (maybe both?) if and when I do have kids. I love watching videos of kids managing their own time on Youtube. There is one of a 5-year-old who is filmed going about a typical day at a Montessori school. Baby boy is so organized, independent and actualized for a child his age! I been trynna find that video all morning :frowning: The kids basically come in, pick what they wanna do then work on that for structured periods of time.

All the teacher does is offer direction/supervision here and there. ITS A BUNCH OF 4 - 7 YEAR OLDS IN ONE SPACE AND THERE IS NO CHAOS!

sadly, when this should happen our ill-prepared children hardly know their ass from their face…

1 Like

This is where we need to find a middle ground to mix up elements of the education systems applied around the world. First world countries assign college advisers to students so they can guide them and keep a close eye on them. The only problem with the current setup is that there are waaaaaay too few advisers as compared to students. That means that the intended effect is lost.

If an adviser is assigned, like, 20-30 students, its easier to keep a closer eye on them to make sure no one’s slipping. They ensure you attend classes, acclimate properly to the college atmosphere, pick majors which make sense, some even help you stay out of debt etc etc

That is still part of the education system. Kids in college/university are still kids. You have no idea how many 20-something year-olds are picking stupid majors like Photography or Spanish Literature in the US. Those poor kids end up with the biggest student loans and ZERO job prospects!!!

It’s now obvious the government hyped the Vision 2030 plan and failed to consider what ammendments are to be applied on our education system. The same education system that existed in the year 2001 when Vision 2030 was non-existent is the one still in place today. We can tell it’s foreigners who are going to achieve the vision for us if all the products of the 8.4.4 system do is seek to sit in a comfy seat in some office. Change is badly needed.

i love pancakes

I also cannot recite the Alphabet from Z-A

:smiley: :smiley: How did this end up here?:smiley: :smiley:

Hebu tafuta ile ngoma ya Papoose (Alphabetical Slaughter) uone na usikie maajabu.

unashangaa na graduates?

And this is why I strongly believe that it was and still is completely and utterly wrong for us to convert those technical colleges to universities. They cleverly used the term ‘elevate’ as though they were inferior colleges. We will pay a heavy price for this lack of foresight. If we feel that we need a university so much, let’s build it from scratch but leave the technical colleges alone. Ditto our neglect of so-called village polytechnics.

2 Likes

I can see what you two are doing from a Psychological point of view.
You are used to being in charge when such a topic is being discussed on KTalk but you missed the boat this time and the only way you can look relevant is by trying to “derail” and undermine it.
By the way i think you are both highly educated and are very intelligent but saa zingine wachieni watu wengine wan`gare.

I heard him warn education in-charges on radio that they’ll be held responsible for holiday tuition held in their areas of jurisdiction and wondered whether he had given them some police powers to effect such an order.

I have been in your shoes one too many times in the past. You have no idea how many times I’ve considered going back to school to study some of these technical courses. I’ve seen housing projects held up due to lack of masons and welders and wonder how a nation could collectively get it so wrong.

One area I’m often passionate about is how we do business. Whenever national exam results are released you see all these kids on national TV talking of being doctors, lawyers, surgeons, etc. In all these years I have yet to hear even a single one say they wanna be a businessman/woman. I always wonder, doesn’t this country need, nay deserve, educated business people? Don’t we care enough to want to learn not only how to do it but how to do it right? And yet here we are day in day out complaining of poor service at various business establishments.

2 Likes

My reply is quite relevant and honest. If I wanted to derail the listing I would have told you guyz If baba was president he would have changed the education system

2 Likes