Journalist mjanja..The Akasha story

I would say Chinese knock-offs killed malls. There’s e-commerce in Dubai and Europe but somehow they know how to control the cheap and low quality imports from China. There’s a guy I know who sells original Nike shoes at 10k- 12k. In Moi Avenue knock-offs of the same shoes are going for 4k. So malls struggle to sell original stuff, garrisa lodge and the likes selling fakes at a fraction

Malls died when people perceived them as expensive places to shop. Landlords build them with expensive loans which are reflected on rent. High rent is reflected on prices of goods sold in those malls. It was only a matter of time before people realized that shopping in malls (Kenya) is a bad idea. Those business owners are competing with businesses outside malls who don’t have to shoulder high rents. It’s a no brainer. Mall owners have to cut rental costs for traffic to flow back because that’s where the problem begins. If I can’t buy a television set at Garden City at the same price (or thereabout) as I can buy it at my local supermarket, I obviously won’t shop there. Not many people are willing to sacrifice several thousand shillings for the same Samsung TV they can buy at their local store. Shoes cost twice or thrice the cost in shops hapa CBD, yet even those shoes in malls are knockoffs. Unanunua kiatu tao 2500 unaipata pale Two Rivers na 8k.

Breakdown 2 rivers

Jimlizer is the one at the stage ama?its been ages .
He gambled bigly.

Also, in Kenya, the mall culture is about “experiencing” and showing off (instagram), not shopping. The only businesses which thrive are food joints because they are part of that experience, and food is a low value item so there is very little price sensitivity.

Yes that one.

Except for the signature ones like Mall of America etc, they’re dead and buried.

Amazon has dominated and taken over. It has killed former giant retailers like Sears, Toys R Us, JC Penny etc. Imagine shopping at the comfort of your home with 2 day guaranteed shipping plus no added tax.

In my city, the major malls in the burbs were torn down and made into smaller brick and mortar stores.

Southfield Mall hapo Cabanas anyone?

See how village market expanded right after two rivers was built.knee jerk reaction??

Save for what you have mentioned ,the mall is empty

occupancy 50% .Great mall great location shida tu ni access which has now been sorted

I greatly dislike the fact that garden city has no grace period for parking, ata huwezi pitia game kubuy maziwa on the way home coz you must pay 50bob parking. Mountain mall, on the other hand always appears busy especially hio naivas plus they give a 30min grace period that allows you to shop and leave quickly without imposing additional parking expenses

“Money Bag” Livondo’s The Luhya entangled with Akasha family:

The defendants operated a sprawling and lucrative international drug business, which involved the distribution of multi-ton quantities of narcotics including hashish, ephedrine, methamphetamine, and methaqulone—a Schedule I controlled substance commonly referred to in Europe, South Africa, and elsewhere as “Mandrax” or “mandies,” and in the United States as “Quaaludes.” For almost two decades, Baktash Akasha Abdalla acted as the leader of the Akasha Organization, and Ibrahim Akasha Abdalla functioned as his brother’s deputy. The defendants engaged in acts of violence to protect the reputation of the Akasha Organization and their drug-trafficking business. For example, in 2014, the defendants kidnapped and assaulted a rival drug trafficker in Kenya named David Armstrong. The defendants helped orchestrate the murder in South Africa of an associate of Armstrong, who was known as “Pinky” and was shot approximately 32 times in the street. The defendants subsequently participated in an altercation at a public shopping mall in Kenya with an Armstrong associate named Stanley Livondo, during which Ibrahim Akasha Abdalla threatened Livondo with a pistol in the mall.

https://www.dea.gov/press-releases/2018/10/26/former-leader-kenyan-organized-crime-family-and-his-brother-plead-guilty