Journalist Walter Menya

Thank you. Now be a good girl and make your contributions without engaging in mischief.

The kaguy has been detained till kesho 5pm at Muthaiga police st by snr principal magistrate Martha Mutuku

There is more to this story,i’d like to read that ‘fake story’.
Watu waanikwe!

i expect a member as resourceful as you are to have googled before posing your question but what do i know:):):):)?

[SIZE=6]
Nation journalist Walter Menya’s accuser revealed[/SIZE]
Jun. 19, 2017, 12:00 pm
By NANCY AGUTU, @nancyagutu
http://www.the-star.co.ke/sites/default/files/styles/new_full_content/public/1582508.jpg?itok=V5AZqmyG
Nation journalist Walter Menya at a Nairobi court on June 19, 2017. /ANNETTE WAMBULWA

Nation journalist Walter Menya allegedly asked for a Sh50,000 bribe from a man named Kiprotich Koros, a Nairobi court heard on Monday

Menya was arraigned at Milimani law courts after being arrested on Sunday and spending the night at an undisclosed police station.

He did not take a plea but returned to court at 2pm for the hearing of an application for his detention during investigations. A decision is yet to be made.

Read: Nation journalist Walter Menya arrested over Sh50,000 bribery claims

In an affidavit seen by The Star, the DCI says Menya was found with Sh20,000 when he was apprehended.

DCI officer Moses Gituathi told the court the journalist received Sh32,000 through M-Pesa transactions between June 15 and 17.

“During the arrest, the respondent was found in possession of Sh20,000 which was treated for the purpose of evidence collection after the report was made and the same was kept as exhibit,” the officer said.

The officer adds that they need more time because the money and the clothes that Menya was wearing “were yet to be submitted to the government chemist for examination on the APK powder”.

The affidavit says after getting the money, Menya published the story ‘Civil servants in JP foundation say all they want is to alleviate poverty’.

Gituathi said he was arrested when he went to collect an unpaid sum of money from Koros after the story was published.

The DCI asked the court for three more days to finish their report, the officer saying the clothes Menya was wearing were yet to be given to the government chemist for examination on the APK power.

PROTEST ON ARREST

The Kenya Union of Journalists are expected to hold protests today in a show of solidarity with Menya. The march will begin outside Nation Centre in the CBD.

Claiming Menya was set up, KUJ secretary general Eric Oduor said journalists must say ‘no’ to intimidation.

“All journalists must come out to say ‘no’ to intimidation and show solidarity with Walter Menya who was arrested after a setup.”

Nation also protested intimidation saying Menya was arrested following a story he penned in the company’s Sunday newspaper.

“We are seeking facts from the investigating authorities to enable us to take appropriate action,” Clifford Machoka, head of corporate affairs, said.

Police spokesman George Kinoti issued a statement saying Menya is accused of soliciting money to kill the said story.

Kenyans condemned the arrest and intimidation of media workers via social media.

Lawyer Donald Korir said: “It’s truly sad when paid bloggers accuse Walter Menya of extortion before he is convicted. Our constitution is explicit on innocence.”

Odeo Sirari of the BBC said: “If it is true, whoever was ‘bribing’ Menya must also be arrested. The law says both the receiver and the giver are guilty.”

State House director of digital Dennis Itumbi said: “Walter Menya is a great journalist. He writes well and researches his stories. The court gives him a chance to defend himself.”

Lawyer Donald Korir said: “It’s truly sad when paid bloggers accuse Walter Menya of extortion before he is convicted. Our constitution is explicit on innocence.”

coincidence???

and you posted your question/allegation a few days ago???

I honestly pity this guy. It is hard to get a job in Kenya. I think it is even harder for a journalist to find employment.

Sivyo

Are you more annoyed that he got caught than about what he was doing? Kenya!

Earlier today. my favourite rag, The Star, had an article about members of the media fraternity planning to take to the streets in Menya’s defense. The piece seems to have disappeared.:D:D:D:D

might be the one i’ve copied up there…

soma vizuri, I have qualified my statements by saying ‘if you must be corrupt’.

Cheza nikuharibie jina kwa shilingi elfu nane tu. Some of these professionals/individuals are easily tempted by money.

Wacha…:D:D:D:D:D:D There was a time strike was a big thing. However it has been overused so much until Kenyan’s don’t even pay attention to it. You can’t even tell who is striking, when it started, what’s the problem and when it ends. You can’t use your tramp card as the first move all the time. It loses that awe factor.

kwanza this one “tumtu twa magazeti” would be laughed off the market:)…

He will learn the hard way just like Alai, you create fake stories thinking you are a hero to babuon and his followers. Greed/audacity takes you further and you try to extort them in the pretext not to write some more. You get caught, try to spin but the Mpesa transaction and marked currency are found in your possession. That can’t be hidden. In court babuon and his followers are not there to carry the burden with you. Your employer has found another person to let go easily instead of joining the retrenchment list.

Now let’s see how long it takes NMG to drop him like hot coal.

Even if they drop him they have already burned their fingers.
1st in their twitter statement after the arrest.
2nd On the Sunday news at 9 where they dealt at length on journalists being victimized.
3rd in their print edition.
4th, The planned mass protests by journalists from all media houses that failed to take off.
It’s sad to see a once mighty and trusted media house go down this way.

At the end of the day i will be comfortable with NMG news, rather Mediachieth of UK.

Their default mode, I think, is to claim that they are under attack by the government.It is unfortunate that they dont appreciate their influence today is negligible.