Jubilee Dev - Gok pays 22,244 for each student joining public secondary school

Naongea kuhusu FPE not secondary bro though I expect the same problems will arise in FSE

Best move so far. I agree with those that propose for the scrapping of boarding schools but this should also go further and do away with categorization. All government schools should cater for students within their localities.

sawa, my bad, I thought you were referring to secondary education, for FPE I am really waiting for the roll-out of the new curriculum starting next year, I think the single primary exam kcpe kind of made the whole primary system only to focus on that, they are talking about diversifying the same lets see if the overall quality will improve when kids are coached in areas where they are more gifted and more at ease.

true, and the same will need a very strong willed regime to make that change, the problem we have now is that those who are responsible for that are busy holding prayers and thanksgiving parties for their kids to get admitted or when they get admitted to a national school, which is not a bad thing for a parent to do, but I think discriminating 13 year olds based on a single exam is downright cruel, its a system that really needs looking into.

@spear for unscrupulous headteachers who fail to pay suppliers, where does one get assistance to address that issue when you know FDSE has been disbursed but you are just being taken in circles

Start with debt collectors then lawyers then Police. Either way that relationship is done. Pole. That’s part of the problem why we still have mud schools in Kenya and students without desks or learning materials. Principals corruption.

Before @spear afike, I think there should be a centralised procurement system for teaching resources like books, laboratory equipment… such that the school heads are left to manage an operational budget for things like security, electricity, water…

What is it that boarding schools do that day schools don’t because they are almost always the top performers? Maybe that would be a good starting point. How can one guarantee that that alliance student will get the same quality education in the nearby day secondary school? Hapa naona itakuwa tricky kiasi

CS Matiangi started that reforms two years ago with Textbooks. +1 billion a year is spent to buy text books for public secondary schools. Schools are allocated a fund to buy them and the list is provided. Principals converted them to personal funds as they collude with shops to receive books that aren’t delivered. Once CS Matiangi announced changes to that system to a centralized format from publishers to Ministry directly, the schools burning wave started. The school cartels were mad.

Most government boarding schools are ranked higher than govt day schools so they get the opportunity to select the best students while the average and poor students are go to day schools. However if categorization and boarding schools were abolished, good students would move to local secondary schools and there would be cases of super schools. This would also offer the opportunity for most parents to take part in raising their children, a duty that has been pushed onto educators.

My take on boarding and day school depends on the area and social setup. In NEP or pastoralist regions, boarding is the only option for the students to learn. In other areas Day schools would be ideal if many were built close to the community. Let’s say a school each X no. of kilometers depending on enrollment. Personally I went to both. Day school and Boarding. My take is that with good management and teachers boarding school provide a better environment to shape students minds for learning, social interactions and study concentration. Some homes have too much disruption and wrong influence to the learning mindset.

Ever asked yourself why “academies” have sprang up all over? Therein lies your answer

A good read bwana spear, loans za school fees zinaniua.

My family is big as well, when schools open my accounts take a beating. Even right now I have already started paying and doing shopping for them to be but aside for Jan 3rd.

how will schools maintain their BOG Teachers?

Wacha summary, soma hio document yote hapo juu.

Some less privileged will at least get education

Fxt

Someone in one of the gava offices was telling me that the gava is struggling financially…eti they got a memo to stop serving tea in the office. So hii pesa ya free education inatoka wapi. Ama ni deni to be kicked down the road for someone else to worry about.

Pia mimi hii idea ya gover kufanya education free i dont like it. Itaharibu tu masomo alafu hao hao wenye pesa wafungue mashule kubwa kama Kabarak. wananchi(0)-Wenyenchi(10)