Kenya Education System

Then learn how to code or robots will takeover your job. unaona AI progressing na umenyamaza tu complaining about kings. what are you doing about it? halafu unataka kublame the system

a term has like (30*3) days. if 3days are exam days, what the fu>k were you doing during the other 87 days of the term? you want to blame this on the education system too? the sytem stopped you from studying?

1 Like

Kwa nini unafikiria that just because I complain I’m wallowing in despair? I can point out wrongs even if they don’t affect me directly. Si uambie akina Gates na Hawking pia. Talking about it will inform someone who is at risk of losing a job in 10 years.

information is free on the web. si lazima mtu aambiwe ndio asome. hata Huduma centre kuna free internet

Here, you are getting it straight. It’s safer not to expect change

An interesting dialogue. And for us still routing for the current system while we know how messed up it is, shame on us.
Why wait for a bloody revolution when we can do something about it now? We think about now and not tomorrow… that’s a pity. No wonder we languish in poverty, corruption and everything backward

1 Like

Other people not me. I have my own plan. Inakaa you are the kind of person whose mindset is “Got mine, fuck you”. Unafikiria that what you have accomplished is only because of your smarts and “intelligence” so ukiskia watu waki complain about a flawed system all you do is tell them to do is work harder or pull themselves up by their bootstraps. You’re still very young so I’ll give you a pass but jua kuwa not everyone has the same information or opportunities to be tech savvy. So usinipe advice ni kama wewe ni a tech analyst talking to a tech illiterate person I knew about machine learning ukiwa highschool bado as a script kiddie. Me saying that things will go wrong != me complaining about my plight.

1 Like

the middle class is too scared of losing what they have to want to court instability…

1 Like

miscellaneous minds are never explaining their minds

Say what you will about me but learn empathy. You to don’t know everything and it would be wrong to castigate you for your lack of knowledge. The system might have gone well for you but there are hoards of people that are left out because of it. You succeeding and others failing in this system is more of an indicator of socio-economic background than intelligence, reading about economics and other social sciences will help you realize this and make you less of an asshat. Start by looking for a book called "freakonomics ".

3 Likes

i dont recall talking about myself here. does your freakonomics book explain in detail why Kenyan education system is a “sham” as the OP claims? if yes then I will read it n if no then get back to the main topic of discussion

i dont recall talking about myself here. does your freakonomics book explain in detail why Kenyan education system is a “sham” as the OP claims? if yes then I will read it n if no then get back to the main topic of discussion

This has to do with you thinking that because you made it that everybody should make it and that there is nothing wrong with the system. Your defending the system because so far you’re coming out on top and you lose nothing with things staying the same. All your statements in this thread can be summarized by these words “Got mine, fuck you!” You live in a bubble and you don’t understand what a good education should help build in a person. All your tech knowledge (which might actually be limited) will not teach you how to understand why things are the way they are. Jifunze some soft sciences ndio ujue how the economy works, how some people are disenfranchised and how the wealth of nations is built then may be you won’t praise the system we have. Freakonomics has nothing to do with this thread it was a recommendation to you specifically so that you can read how a kid’s upbringing is more of a determinant of where they wind up than their intelligence or talent. People smarter and more successful than you know this and this is something that should cut you down to size and teach you humility and empathy.

4 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed about you is you are extremely irrational when it comes to ktalk debates. It’s like you are attacking anyone holding the opposite view. So far you haven’t told us anything good or interesting about the current education system. And you are also assuming that because we are against it we must have been dunderheads in high school which is quite the contrary. Try to come up with constructive arguments that permit discussion, something that you failed to learn from your beloved educational system.
Now in response to your comment, do you mean to tell me that you spent every waking minute of your 30 x 3 days reading your books? As a teenager that’s impossible! Once you factor in homework, school duties for those in boarding, mandatory participation in sports as was in my school, you barely have time to read AND understand 12 subjects without memorization. Let’s stick to the topic at hand.

6 Likes

FYI Am still a student(in the system), I don’t own anything(company, fat bank account etc), am 21, my parents are not rich. once am done with this degree am not going to go back to my parents home n sit there they do their part n now this is my part. just because the education system is flawed does not mean that I should sit down blame it for my failures. if fail to properly revise for an exam then cheat in the exam n am caught should I blame the system? if am brought up in a particular way should I let that define how my life would turn to be? hell no everyone is responsible for their own lives blaming the system for our failures is just a lame excuse. just go through ktalk and you will find threads where people write of how they went through hardship nobody talks about blaming the system they all talk about making sacrifices, perseverance and hard work till they finally made it. they don’t blame anyone. life has never been easy to anyone unless your stand to inherit a fortune everyone has to work hard to achieve their dreams. so if you are the type that lets their parents/education system and other excuses that you got from a book shape your life, then well and good keep complaining as for me I will work hard for what I want n not complain about anyone/system. you claim my tech skills are limited n if for real it’s limited should I just sit n blame the system or some men I don’t know of whom you claim to control the economy? nope I won’t I will read more books n practice what’s written on them to improve just like I do every day.

1 Like

The most underwhelming time in my 8-4-4 journey has been University. I expected a challenge, its a fucking waste of time.

4 Likes

@Deorro With all due respect you are naive. You seem to believe in the system exams and all. It all eventually comes to nothing more than pat on the back in form of a paper with writings on it. Do anything to beat the system. Take the risks you can take.
The people at the top do short cuts. Honest people finish last.
Anyway, I would have somewhat held your view at 21.

1 Like

ata uni kuna courses ziko na upto 8 units per semester… unashangaa hizo zote ni za nini

1. that’s in your head

2. really? come up with something better

3. no. I knew how to balance between play n work without blaming anyone.

4. so your school gave lots of homework? blame your parents for missing school meetings. these are some of the issues to be raised in school meetings when parents are around. or if they attended blame them for not asking teachers to give reasonable amount of homework. FYI i have been to a parents meeting to a school(not my kids) n according to the school policy each class should not be given more than 2 homework(diff subjects)this was brought up in a parents meeting n they agreed to adopt that.

5. in my school duties were done in the morning after morning preps. took only 30 minutes. in Japan they don’t have janitors like in the USA the students do the cleaning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLo0phnh-kA

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/04/04/396621542/without-janitors-students-are-in-charge-of-keeping-school-shipshape
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2001/11/30/lifestyle/kids-get-down-to-classroom-clean-ups-2/
Japa has some of the brightest minds. performing manual work in school does not affect academics in any way

1. so you wanted to study during games time? games mostly is between4-6pm 2hours only. isnt that development of talents that the OP claims is not in Kenyan curricular?

2. its 11 subjects
    …
    These are just lame excuses