Kenya has Plenty of Opportunities, Capital ndo Shida

Hapo sijakataa. But Coast doesn’t need a coal plant.

Opportunities lost to corruption by the Kalenjin run power supply company. Ni hayo tu.

All the rich men are fighting to dominate real estate, gambling and malls.

If some of them entered the fish processing business, those Lamu farmers would soon be exporting their fish.

Very few businesses are formalized in Kenya. Even furniture, there is an opportunity for the next IKEA right here in Kenya, instead of having small furniture shops at every corner.

The Lamu fishermen would likely end up like coffee farmers in Central and sugarcane farmers in Western, considering how this country is run. What they should do is make use of the devolution structures within the county. Kuna county assembly and county government. Begin a cooperative, avoid the vicious politics of most cooperatives, carry out feasibility studies and take out loans to begin a fish processing plant.

Use the proceeds of the loan to offset the loans and the profits to build the local community. Keep tuna fishing to a sustainable level so as to avoid the negative environmental effects of overfishing and ask the national government to protect the fisheries from intrusion by foreign trawlers.

Kenya has great opportunities everywhere but very few will be realized with the high level of corruption and ignorance in the country.

They have us by the balls. Hiyo deni lazima ilipwe. Lakini kwangu nilisema no Chinese fish hata kama ni za buy one get one free. Electronics inabidi I buy from them lakini chakula no way

i started a fish pond project last year the fish stunted i dont know why…

Spot on

Dude, najua. Go tell that to Nairobians. kama si fillet hiyo inge hawezani.

How are you cleaning the water?

The solution for coast fishermen. Is for a business man or the counties together open up a massive international fish market in Mombasa and we get cargo planes landing daily with buyers from all over the world and leave with fresh fish like Tuna etc.

We don’t know how to properly market our massive blue economy.

for now it has stopped till i get a reliable fisheries guy to help me out.i pour out the water to a nearby banana plantation and some to a nearby stream…for inlet i use stored rain water

Anything touched by the government or even county government turns to ash.
The successful cooperatives in Kenya have no government involvement. eg. milk, tea and even coffee.
Coffee farmers in central are doing fine. They are assured of a consistent market for their produce every time.

Whenever the government steps in, things go haywire. Sugarcane and maize best example.
Also killed by government were cotton, leather and pyrethrum industry… If only those farmers organized and did the processing and marketing themselves.

If right now the power line between Rabai and Nairobi is experiencing transmission losses, you think one from Olkaria to Lamu will be efficient ???

There is a long list of co-operatives which thrived only for officials to make away with members monies and others conspired with cartels to run down the co-operatives to give them free rein, i remember @Budspencer saying himself and other potato farmers opted not to form a co-operative because they couldnt trust that it would be immune from unscrupulous middlemen and the greed of officials charged with running it, i wouldnt either.

We have two huge problems in this country that plague almost all small entreprises, dearth of technical capacity in their product development and very little managerial expertise hence the short lifetime of SMEs and their poor performance despite their obvious potential.

Co-operatives are good but they rarely work out the way they should, ukora ya Wakenya haikubali, the solution lies in organising players such as the fishermen in this instance to form a PLC then have a Kenyan-funded & run hedge fund buys a majority of the shares to give them controlling stake, they would be able to provide capital, build a supply chain, promote the products, explore product development options, they would basically provide professional expertise and capital which most entrepreneurs sorely lack, the fishermen would be both employees and shareholders, with time they could increase their stake if they so wish.

It would be a win-win for both parties, the guys on the ground getting to reap from their local resources and holders of capital getting a return on their funds which should exceed the measly interest earned from banks where lots of kenyans have cash just lying there.

Potato?

Kuna time you mentioned ulikua unalima viazi but you guys had challenges koz ya mabroker and glut, ama it wasn’t you?

Kenyans should learn to consume our own produce.
Very few people eat let alone know what tuna is.
Bring this fish to the mainland and let people consume it.
There are so many opportunities in this country but we limit ourselves.

Sijawai, unless @hakimoto. But I’ve mentioned once that is officials wa dairy cooperative walipita na pesa yetu. Never again

Wueeh! If those guys had not been so myopic hio cooperative saa hii ingekua imegrow, milk can be so profitable especially when you start producing stuff like butter, yoghurt and mala. Ukora imefanya kenya ikwame.

Boss, do you know the difference between transmission of electricity and generation of electricity? Cos you’re confusing the two things.

Tuna hubebwa na lorry zinanukaga vibaya mombasa road. Na hawajai kua attacked na alshaitan uko mpeketoni.