Kenyans overcapitalize on tragedies on social media

and btw guys out here shouting Kenya navy with getting to understand the whole picture of the rescue Let me paint one for you

The eyes of public in Kenya are on Kenya Defense Forces Naval component, not for its superiority in the Eastern African Coast and its superior equipment and capability, but a drowning accident at a sea channel a few nautical miles away from its main operating and command base. We had a chance to discuss the accident and what role the military is playing in the underwater rescue operations, with defense intelligence and MAG officials involved in the operation. The discussion brought into perspective the complexity of the efforts and here is our take.
The MAG has been tasked to retrieve bodies of Mariam Kighenda and daughter, Amanda Mutheu from Likoni channel. The two drowned after their vehicle sank after reversing from a ferry ramp as the ferry was crossing the channel.What is at the core of the entire process is caring for the family, and their expectations, ensuring that they are kept abreast of the efforts while balancing the strategic importance of Likoni Channel. Ships coming to dock in Mombasa must pass through this channel making it an important economic asset for the country. The channel is also a gateway to and from Mombasa mainland for over 350,000 commuters. For any diving to be done and in order to achieve any successes these activities have to be suspended to ensure that the ocean is calm. This will mean that the number of times our divers can venture into the deep is regulated by the above.

As a result of marine traffic and activity within the channel, which may affect the ecosystem, visibility for the divers and equipment is reduced to about 1 meter. This then means that the recovery process is slowed down. The underwater robotic vehicles that the multi-agency are using also require clear waters to ensure visibility to help in locating objects at the bottom of the ocean. The echo sounders as well have to contend with the thick mud at the bottom of the ocean. At times identification /verification of objects is reduced to touch, not sight. There are many objects, including cars on the ocean bed.Under water currents at the moment are very strong. Although the point where the vehicle went under has been established, the multi-agency team has identified fourteen (14) other possible positions (primary positions) from where to launch the deep water search. Each primary position may take a minimum of three (3) hours to ascertain if the object sensed or seen is the vehicle or not.
[INDENT]A Scientific and Naval Engineering Perspective[/INDENT]
According to Naval engineers the depths involved in this search will restrict what the MAG can do. The channel has the depth of about 70m (229ft). At 30m (98 ft) a diver is safe to stay for less than 15 mins. At 57m (190ft) a diver has less than 5 minutes to work at that depth and return to surface. At this depth, the ocean is pitch dark. Putting the divers to work at 70m is dangerous. A remote operated vehicle (ROV) may help find the vehicle at this depth.

40 meters of water is equal to 56 PSI pressure .A Diver is used to 14PSI atmospheric pressure. PSI is pound per inch ,one pound is about 0.5kg .To dive 40m a diver must carry 56pounds per square inch of his body, scientifically an empty bottle of water will collapse under such environment. A divers body will pump blood at 2PSI ( systole). Increased pressure increases rate of absorption of gases within the body ,a phenomenon called narcosis, thus will make a diver to feel drunk at 40 meters deep subsequently compromising his safety.
Safety of divers is also an important consideration for the MAG. The depth that the divers can dive at a given time to stay alive has to strictly be adhered to. Also, to ensure this safety, the ocean currents, their strength and direction is also a consideration before the divers venture into the ocean.
Search operations of this nature have unique challenges that require intricate planning. History has examples where results were not always as hoped. We remember the Abidjan incident where we lost a diver and not all bodies were ever retrieved. Also the MV Bukoba incident in Tanzania. These kind of operations do not always yield the results expected due to their delicate nature.
The operation is not time bound. A deadline cannot be imposed on the searchers. It also cannot be extended indefinitely. Having said that, all efforts and resources possible will be employed with the hope the bodies will be retrieved as soon as possible.
https://intelligencebriefs.com cjui kama hio ni gutter press but it sure as hell brings an angle that most people are fist to throw out of the window

we do not value lives in africa , look at how we burn thieves and kill other africans over petty politics … Yaani in those 20 minutes hata tube ya gari or kamba refu haikupatikana . if that couldn’t work , 4 different people with swimming skills would have jumped in and saved the kid…

Fikiria hivi , in a country with civilised people , a rescuer can jump into a burning biulding to save an adult … in our backward sh*thole , grown husbands & fathers will watch a child die and DO NOTHING …

It should be made a law that all ferry commuters MUST put on life jackets immediately they enter the ferry. And this should be strictly enforced.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D boss kama seat belt ya gari ni shida hehehe hiii unaona kama itaweza kweli…

Enyewe Kenya seems like a gone case…

They take videos and post online. Realtime…

Eeeeeerm I think I’ll keep my own bedbugs and etc to myself. Thank you.

I don’t use bodabodas in public areas for the same reason. I will not share headlice with all of Nairobi, asande.

no one is interested in facts its show business

I’ve seen some silly stuff on this platform but this one takes the cake.

How will that be enforced when a simple instruction like all drivers and their passengers must disembark from their vehicles is not obeyed. You do not want to mix with peasants, you want to stay in your comfort. When accident happens, you are trapped inside and sink with it

This can happen in lala land in the year once upon a time, have you met the arrogance most coast peeps have?

And the license of the cake shop, that Sheldon has the intelligence of a beer mug