Kenya's Slow Slide into Bankruptcy Gathers Pace

Avalance, how do you cut the wage bill when:

i) the courts are raising salaries on a daily basis? (Wait now for soldiers, police, nurses, doctors, lecturers etc etc etc to start asking for their raises)

ii) When NGOs/politicians/Katiba says we increase women reps, NOT ban them?

At least IFMIS holds some promise

1 Like

Hapo I agree with you. We have too many constitutional positions that have duplicated roles.

This question does visit my mind sometimes. It’s our money being disrespected.

government spending is too high for whatever reason and it is creating inflation. In turn, inflation is an indirect tax on all people that use that currency.

Unless we have selfless leaders,no mp will agree to cede his area,put simply no tribe will agree to cede their county to reduce over representation,there is no need of having kisii,nyamira and kuria counties or tharaka nithi and embu counties,suggesting they wrap up,you will get the mother of all noises.even nairobi constituencies were created for tribes.we are stuck with the over representation or worse.what we need are for kenyans to end the greed mentality,we expect handouts from mps,where do we expect it to come from?instead of championing for nacada to have real powers like DEA,we apploud the mps for raiding some legit businesess.one way we shout that we have too many replica parastatals the other we cry and shout ‘mtu wetu’ ajepewa kazi,as if tutalipwa pamoja,I always say what we need in kenya is mental revolution or even physical revolution.

4 Likes

Free knee-oil change voucher… Collect as you pass GO.

Another thing that leads to this high government recurrent expenditure is the bloated civil service. right now This was brought about by the recruitment by the county governments yet there were already civil servants under the central gava performing similar functions. Sasa right now unapata kuna guys who are very idle coz kazi ile wallikua wanafanya sasa another guy employed by county ndie anaifanya. watu wanapata salo lakini hawana job. If there’s an institution that messed the issue of civil servants its the Transitional Authority (TA). TA should have guided the process of recruitment of staff. Saa hivi gava inaogopa ku retrench staff coz of the political backlash and also its effects on the economy

3 Likes

Haki ya nani! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Wacha upatwe hapo na guka.

The point might be moot now but I strongly feel that we need a max. of 15-18 counties (if at all) and max. 150 constituencies set in the constitution so that any change requires a referendum. The current counties’ boundaries are mostly nothing but tribal conclaves that are messing up our national cohesion.

2 Likes

Any money that changes hands without equivalent productivity is toxic to the system. With too much toxic money in the system, economic collapse is inevitable.

1 Like

That will never happen. If the country can eliminate women reps, nominated MP’s, unnecessary constitutional positions and senators, it will be a big leap in the right direction. Halafu, these ministries should be streamlined to curb wastage of public funds.

With all due respect to geniuses here, all we need is a massive brain overhaul of a majority of individuals that cling to the name Kenyan. For the country to prosper tyranny must die. So only one thing can save Kenya, the realization that showing mercy to our oppressors is treason while cutting them from power is patriotism.

2 Likes

I have always asked how ordinary women benefit from these women reps. These reps are just lucky layabouts who benefited from a constitution that received a nice dose of feminist ideologies. i certainly cannot explain how Kenyan women have gained from increased women positions. And i am sure the woman at the village want security, market for her produce, cheap agricultural inputs and decent health care and not some endless noise about gender equality from some self-righteous, NGO-ish ‘women leaders’ addressing meaningless press conferences which are normally held in lofty hotels. Some constituencies have been led by women MPs for a long time yet women in these constituencies are as desperate as their counterparts in constituencies that have never voted for women MPs. A true, visionary leader, whether male or female, will represent everyone.
That said, don’t ever expect these hyenas to scrap unnecessary positions; once a hyena grabs a meaty bone, only through shooting it can you recover the bone.
We needed a visionary, no nonsense and economically informed dictator to lead us non stop for 20 years with no BS about presidential elections. Moi had that chance but he sadly misused it and by 2002, we were completely inebriated with democracy whiskey and need for democratic space that it was no longer possible to have a firm and visionary leader to lead the nation to an economic miracle without bothering much about democracy.
And i always wonder how democracy benefits the old woman in the village. Freedom of speech was only a license meant for activists to always attack the government and in the process attract funding from western liberal groups. Otherwise, the government will not be bothered when a ‘nobody’ staggering home from a chang’aa den shouts anti-government slogans and how he will overthrow the government if it continues ‘playing’ with him. Yes, this ‘nobody’ is enjoying freedom of speech but is this freedom helping him? It would be much better if this ‘nobody’ is empowered economically so that he can afford decent beer and if by economically empowering him, the wise dictator will take away his freedom of speech, then so be it.
I’d rather live in a country ruled by a dictator where there is security, minimal corruption and amazing economic growth. I will 100% support you, if you take away my freedom of speech and ,in the process, make Kenya the economic giant of Africa where even poor Europeans will desperately seek a visa to live here as economic refugees.

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

Unfortunately its a catch 22 position. Democracy in itself is not a bad thing either because it protects you from continous bad leadership. You are assuming that we would get a good dictator but remember the reverse also holds true. You might get a very bad dictator for those 20 years and without democracy then you have no way out. Like the situation that made everyone want moi out and democracy in. All we need is a leader with a blue print and specific action plan to achieve a long term goal. We lack that. I believe Kenyatta and Ruto were motivated to run more by the ICC issue than any vision for the country. Similarly Raila is motivated by an atitude of self entitlement for being leader of opposition for a long time rather than any true vision for this country. Sometimes a visionary leader appears out of nowhere like Mutua and machakos. He surprised many judging from his stint as a govt spin doctor. No one expected him to have such vision within such short time

3 Likes

@Stony , well said. Its very simple, without productivity there is no growth. thats what lacks in kenya. the new constitution does not steer counties and national govt towards productivity hence low productivity=high inflation=high cost of production=poverty. Within the next 10 to 20 years, either parliament makes drastic changes to the constitution that are pro productivity or the public gets fed up and becomes ungovernable , creating situations like the arab spring and the south american uprisings .

1 Like

We need a serious economic meltdown, Greek style before we style up then!

1 Like

DITTO!
I always cite the Rwanda case basause its the one nearest to us. Now that the ‘dictator’ is firmly in place and probably for life, this small country in Central Africa will be the envy of many. In 10 years time I predict that Rwanda will be a first world country, that is if Kagame will still be at the helm.
This will put to shame the ‘giants’ of Africa including Kenya. Sad but true.

2 Likes

For those agitating for a dictatorship, why is it that the Swiss system works yet all the power is with the people, security is not a major issue as it is here, a president only serves one year and doesn’t really have that much power?
http://swiss-government-politics.all-about-switzerland.info
Even South Korea and Singapore had authoritative rulers but the development happened after they’ve gone

Take a look at Korea which was a mainly agricultural nation under the Choson dynasty and a country we supposedly gave aid to in the 60’s/70’s. After the Japanese annexed Korea after it’s war with Russia, they undertook a modernisation project on the peninsula; infrastructure, health/medical improvements and education (increase in literacy levels) and most important for us land reforms. Which money paid for all these? Bonds from the Japanese market and grants/loans which aided the shift from farming to manufacturing in order to enable the country develop. Isn’t this what’s happening in Kenya at the moment?
https://eh.net/encyclopedia/the-economic-history-of-korea/

It’s also the same issues that faced Singapore after expulsion from the Malaysian Federation
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Singapore

We may be having it rough now but the benefits will far outweigh what we’re going through.

1 Like

Will only come when corruption is marginally reduced if not eradicated.