LAPSSET CORRIDOR: SIGNING OF TENDER AWARD FOR CONSTRUCTION OF LAMU - IJARA - GARISSA (A10) ROAD

Feel bad for the junior lawyers kwa law firm, the senior lawyers can`t sit to write such

Why doesn’t KenHA build the road themselves?

Engineers should be at the site not in an office signing contracts

Hata wewe you don’t build your house yourselefu but rather you hire a fundi and supervise the work. The govt also hires the fundi (Chinese road contractor ) and govt engineers supervise the work.

KENHA has no technical capacity to build. They only have technical capacity to design, supervise and inspect the works.
What should be done by any serious government is capacity enhancement for local road construction companies. I dont see why NYS should not have a fully fledged department of road construction whose sole mandate is to undertake some of these projects. Such a department can construct roads, bridges, schools, etc.

But this will obviously take a serious govt (not Jubilee/UDA), a well managed NYS (current NYS is a corruption den), a somewhat well performing govt (sio hii yetu iko broke day in day out).

453km road, deep in the interior, very far from material suppliers, total cost 17b, average cost 26m per km. 27km, elevated road in Nairobi near major suppliers, total cost 65b, average cost 2.4b per KM. Someone help me understand the mazematics here. Even after accounting for different factors that might double or triple or even make it 10 times more expensive, I would have expected maybe 500m per km.

Cement and kokoto, bitumen, steel etc will be ferried from mombasa kilindini port to lamu port by ship or straight from china to lamu port. Cheaper than ferrying materials from mombasa to nairobi. Kokoto and murram can be mined on site as road progresses. Also most of the land is flat and road straight and in an arid area reducing construction costs. Also note that the cost of building one expressway pillar is similar to building 10km of road or putting up a 5 floor flat hapo donholm.

Na pia huko msituni hakuna mambo ya land compensation, relocation of sewer lines, fibre, electric poles etc
Izo area unashika shamba kadhaa sahii unategea

The keyword here is STAGE CONSTRUCTION.

KENHA actually do have the capacity and equipment but because of bureaucracy and corruption they used to lose a lot of equipment

All those extra costs were covered by the government. it cost about 2b to relocate KPLC and sewer lines. In last year budget, the govt allocated an extra 5b to the project. so the 65B covers the cost of construction only, minus other costs. They are also ferrying the cement directly from china. And wetangula juzi said the project had been costed at 23b two years ago, how did it end up costing three times to 65b? All in all, whatever argument, that elevated highway cannot cost 2.4b per km. I travelled in cities across the world and far much better infrastructure were build at a fraction of the cost.

Utapata capacity iko but the kickback margins are smaller than when sub contracting. NYS definitely has that capacity

KeNHA has no capacity to carryout construction works but they have capacity to do Construction supervision works.