Mediatek vs Snapdragon

A wrong assumption. It is not linear in that sense. What I am saying is the demands are less, not significantly so. What you have mentioned is double the battery life being consumed under the same load for chips at the same price point. Impossible for chipsets of the same level of performance, and that would drive them out of the market immediately.

It is good you have pointed out the M9+. Quad HD screen, fingerprint sensor, MHL, NFC, the duo camera setup at the back and the ultrapixel at the front (And you know these are not your average things that are found on tecnos), boomsound speakers, fingerprint sensor and splash resistant protection. Which premium tecno can match these features?

At $667, it was still cheaper than the M9 which only had a 1080p screen, no dual camera setup and no fingerprint sensor. HTC added value to jack up the price

Everything you just mentioned above in detail is cosmetic. Fine there are some few fancy things which you will rarely ever use for long. Such as the fingerprint scanner. Most of the rest is just a marketing gimmick. Like the smart wear that goes with a Galaxy. Most of these extras are put in just to entice the consumer into believing they are on another level. At the end of the day the raw power in affordable smart phones is on par with the so called flagships. Lakini watu wanataka kuonekana na brand names…which is also quite fine.

Wow! I just couldn’t put it better! Thanks!

I beg to differ.

The smart watch is useless but once you go HD, it is very difficult to look at the shitty colour reproduction and resolutions of other lower specced screens. In terms of security, what can beat a fingerprint?

Which has more chances of coming out unscthed in case of a drop in water, the unprotected phone or one that is made to shake off such an incident? And wouldn’t that save a potential customer money in terms of costly repairs/replacement of the phone?

For those who can use mhl, it’s actually can be a good substitute for mundane tasks carried out by laptops/tablets e.g streaming, or presentations at the office. You have multiple functionality in your pocket instead of carrying several devices

For photograph enthusiasts (like me), well, a smartphone is no match for a dslr but where one is not a professional photographer, wouldn’t a good smartphone sensor come in handy seeing as some of the functionalities of a dslr can be found in a smartphone with one touch settings?

Pocket gamers?

An old M7 still performs much better than a tecno. Why? Build quality

There is no way a samsung pocket plus can perform on the same level as a note 5. That’s like saying a probox can outrun a panamera

wanasema ati ni cosmetics have u ever compared a super Amoled display with a tecno display.
those small (but very) important features are what makes a smart phone really smart.
sio kitu tu ya kupiga simu na kuweka social apps.
have u ever used HTC incoporated with Beats by Dre Audio…Or LG with Dobly DTS audio.
what about Xperia with Bravia Engine
just the other day i never used to care about bluetooth sikuizi simu haina bluetooth version 4 siezi tumia na gear vizuri

HTC with Beats audio were awesome phones. It was difficult giving up my m7

I remember my first ever computer. Assembled the thing myself. Optimized it for gaming. With a custom motherboard, fat buses, exxagerated RAM, Dolby audio card and a heavy duty Nvidia G-Force. Installed a dual boot OS for both Linux and Windows. Back then some niggaz were spending the same amount of cheddar on refurbished desktops that couldn’t run NFS versions from 10 years ago. Reason they did it? Brand names!

I often long for the day I’ll be able to custom order smartphone hardware, exactly suited to my specifications and purpose, preferably pre-assembled, I finish minor last assembly and install my own OS or dual platforms. Raw power is what matters so a generic phone would be much better than being locked to what a manufacturer wants to specify. I’d rather do something of the sort than buy a ‘flagship’. It would be a better use of my 70 or 80 K than kupromote economy ya South Korea nikinunua jina flani

Google was supposed to develop modular phones where one can switch components like PCs, I’d make a beast out of mine.

You don’t have to buy the latest flagship, you can wait two three years and buy them for the price of the latest mid-range phone and your still guaranteed support from the manufacturer.

Then give me the figures to show how Mediatek nyonyas power more than snapdragon. It has been argued that Mediatek’s thirst is the reason why infinix and tecno pack big mah batteries as opposed to snapdragon but from my experience Galaxy cannot outlast Phantom z. So what gives?

What gives is that your cheap phones come with substandard displays hence they don’t suck as much power as the quadHD Super Amoled Displays. Problem is that innovation on other fronts has gone way ahead of innovation in battery usage which is a problem mobile phone manufacturers have not been able to figure out yet

Battery technology needs to evolve faster to keep pace with modern demands. Perhaps the next generation of batteries will solve the problem and open up everything from mobile devices to electric cars like Tesla

This is the list you have posted:

1. Alcatel OneTouch Idol X+ - $360
  2. Alcatel OneTouch Hero 2 - $400
  3. Gionee Elife S5.5 / BLU Vivo IV - $300
  4. HTC Desire 616 - $230
  5. Huawei Honor 3X Pro - $240
  6. Huawei Honor Holly - $115
  7. Lenovo Vibe X2 - $400
  8. Meizu MX4 - $449
  9. Xiaomi Hongmi - $130
  10. Xiaomi Redmi Note - $150

Sasa hizi ndizo notable phones unatuwekea. No wonder hata you didn’t have the courage to post the contents here ni kutupatia link :D:D

You keep saying HTC M9+. You do know HTC M10 has reverted to Snapdragon right?

My question is this. Why is there no other notable FLAGSHIP phone that comes packed with MediaTek??? For instance why wouldn’t Huawei use MediaTek on their major phones preferring to use Kirin or Snapdragon processors. Just be honest with yourself even if you have a mediatek phone. No one is saying they are bad but even the manufacturers agree that they are only meant for budget phones for calling and receiving messages and perhaps a few pictures on top :D:D:D

I don’t consider the display on my tecno 8 substandard but usable (more or less the difference between a premio and mercy c180)and I can live with that. But what I want are the figures in terms of power consumption and “kunyonya power bank ovyo ovyo” as asserted by @Jazzman and others on a different thread. My 3000mah serves me waay better and can last upto two days with heavy browsing. My mouth waters at the infinix 4000mah.

Statistics show that users are voting with their wallets as the big brands show a slump in sales while #teamcheapmediatek sales are on a steep rise. Again to me this is a German/Japan car argument-like debate and we know who is winning. We saw it with amd/Intel debate.

As I said they cater for different markets and you cannot say substandard but different strategies

@grandpa says the Amoled display consumes more power which is understandable given the quality (no debate here) then when you factor in the fact that Galaxy S6 has a puny 2550mah, so how does it not nyonya powerbank ovyo ovyo. Here I present data for my reasoning.,

he battery can lose up to 20% from when you wake up to when you arrive at work
If you use the phone regularly and don’t take advantage of any power saving measures or actually activate one of the two power saving modes, it very hard to get a full day out of this phone. There’s no escaping that the S6’s battery life is inferior

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-review-battery-life-and-charging-page-4

As you said they cater for different markets.

Company 1: Low end to medium range smartphones for users with medium usage.
Company 2: Premium smartphones for power users

And what is the hate against big brands. I mean they only became big brands by being innovative and releasing quality stuff. Si uwache wakule pesa. Si bado watu wananunua. Just because you don’t have the cash doesn’t mean you trash on it if you cannot afford :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Power usage can be found on gsmarena. Just find the phone and click on the endurance ratings. E.g. for the Samsung Edge, talk time: 23.45hrs, web browsing: 11hrs, video playback: 16:46hrs. Za infinix na tecno ndizo hazipatikani on any site other than their own probably. http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note7-8082.php# Sasa weka link yako :D:D:D

QuadHD AMOLED display of 1440 x 2560 pixels (~518 ppi pixel density) you can compare to your screen that probably doesn’t even boost a 1080 display and call it a Premio vs Mercedes c180 contest while it is more of a Premio vs Range Rover 2016 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Na btw sijakataa the battery life of the flagships is inferior. They are packed with smaller batteries to maintain the slimness of the phone. And on my other thread where this emanated you can clearly see I said that big batteries is the only thing infinix and tecno has going on for itself

I don’t hate brands but I disagree on the substandard label you guys attach to Mediatek phones. It is you who hates. And a premio/range Rover comparison is disjointed. What I want is the substandardness of Mediatek with figures to boot. Display I give it to brands:a merc has a strong body and six or eight airbags and a premio has two airbags and a clunky body but the bate necessities of power and fuel consumption is what we are focusing on here

At least we both agree that tecno and infinix have superior battery and brands have superior display (but this does not mean the tecno have substandard display just different) so that’s a give and take for both sides. Tecno and Infinix target the Asian markets hence you may not find them on gsm arena which still is not the gold standard for reviews and being relatively young companies they will get there someday though their missing on gsm arena is not a judgement on their quality (or is that what you are pushing for here?)

1. Please quote where I asserted mambo ya kunyonya power bank.

2. Those cheap mediatek phones do not have the innovative advantages other manufacturers have in terms of conservation of energy hence usage of bigger batteries to try and bridge the gap. The power saving modes on samsung , HTC, sony, LG are what led android to develop Doze mode in marshmallow. A HTC on extreme power saving mode can make that phone for days without charging, it can give 15 hours with 5% left.

http://bgr.com/2014/03/25/htc-one-m8-extreme-power-saving-mode/

1. You forgot to read the part where I wrote manufacturers use mediatek chipsets to make the final cost of the phone cheap. A good comparison is the HTC M9 and M9+ as given by @Da Vinci . The M9+ has more premium features than the M9 but is cheaper, why? Would you get those M9+ features on a tecno?

2. Even Toyota makes premium cars but they still don’t match up to what BMW, Merc, Porsche e.t.c can decide to develop

3. A perfect illustration of what tecno and the others are doing was done during the Top Gear ashes. British top gear put a Supercharged Jaguar engine in a ford van in order to have an advantage over the australians Holden. Yes the van won but that still doesn’t make it at par with the Holden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT84-Jm1IuE