More woes for mall owners

but it hasn’t been money either way whether easy or hard. it would be prudent to reduce prices to at least get it started.

But there have been cases where mall owners have reduced prices but tenancy has been low. Is it, may be, lack of demand?

because development to them means big shopping malls with conveyor belts and tall building with elevators

highly possible.

Sad

Africans are programmed to consume not produce…

Consumption monkeys for sure!

Exactly! They would have been better off starting a small ship building /fishing industry / factory. Lake basin the irony is even on the name.

I agree with the M.D, barabara ya kuenda hio mall is a cattle track at best. It is even rumoured the anchor tenant, TESCO refused to move in unless Kakamega Rd is complete.
Without a major anchor tenant driving foot-traffic into the mall, goodluck attracting other tenants.

The MD has you where he wants. Look at the bigger picture. Kisumu has got no purchasing power to support mall culture. However, ninjas out to make a quick buck came up with a proposal to siphon taxpayers money. Sasa no explanations za upuzi tuu butmpesa ilisha enda. Ask yourself why a mall originally budgeted at 400m ended up costing 4.2 billion.

Na hiyo stretch imebaki kama ni wachinese wangekuwa ni hao saa hii ingekuwa imemalizwa.SBI is a big let down and I wonder why they have won contracts all over.

Why do you say so?

The disposable income is not worth talking of as to support a serious mall culture.

Who will buy a non-performing asset of that magnitude?
I don’t see any hope for that mall for the next 20 years.

The news of Tesco coming into Africa, and choosing Kisumu, Kenya as their starting point surely slipped me.
Do you mind linking to your source?

Why would Tesco bypass Nairobi or Mombasa for Kisumu?

This is a crazy ignorant thing to say. All that coffee, tea, milk produced in Kenya every year, what do you call that? All the tones of fish and meats exported from Kenya, what do you call that? All the flowers exported from Kenya, what do you call that? Avocados and macadamia nuts are getting exported now. BAT sources tobacco from local farmers.
I could go on and on but you get the picture.
If anything Africa is the producer but doesn’t get to consume or profit from most of what it produces.

Or Johannesburg and Cape Town.

You see it is not personal. Africans are naturally wired to be hunters and gatherers. We want to hunt and gather that which requires no effort on our end to nurture. All the things you raised are valid but acquired tastes. This explains our penchant for primitive accumulation to the detriment of the society. How else would you explain the typical African behaviour of looting and hoarding?

Looting is not typical of Africans. I can give you many cases of non Africans looting in non African nations. Israel is looting Palestine lands every other year. Russia looted a chunk of Ukraine land juzi tu. On an individual level Carlos Ghosn was accused of looting from Nissan.
And Africa did not engage in hunting and gathering alone. The real history is there for all to read.
Africa was mining gold and Iron and other metals long before mzungu showed up in Africa. Have you ever heard of Mansa Musa? Or the Songhai empire?