moving back home

Sio kwa ubaya but sometimes ni vizuri kufikiria kidogo. The reason why most people end up broke when they retire in the city is due to obsession with this place. Everyone wants to retire and build huku and live happily ever after but only a few will manage to die old here.

Nairobi sio ya mtu, you’ll come and leave it here, and fresh guys from campus and shags will replace you. Thats why its always a good thing to go to shags and talk to the old gukas, uncles to stay in reality. you’ll be surprised.

While they have those old out of fashion coats, they once were like you or even better. It makes no sense to stay in the city if you are making zero!!! This is someone who was making 250k a week, saa hizi, nothing comes, and probably pia side hustles zake are running at a loss. And its okay, you might think why not open a business right? Okay how many businesses can a DJ open that will be successfull enough to sustain him through this shitstorm while life is getting harder? Na curfews? Paycuts? Layoffs? Bila experience out of entertainment circle? If anything he’ll get more financially drained! Hii kitu ya lazima mtu akae Nairobi bana is stupid for rational thinkers! You’ll rash into a business and drain your savings because you want to look like you have your shit together.

It doesnt matter ata kama una apartment, you are still spending alot of money daily internet bills, water, stima, fuel, food, school fees, friends, misc etc. While it might be a good time to go to shags save alot and plan for the next step, earn from rent, there’s alot of good private schools in shags with school buses that teach kids good english kama hio ndio shida (i went to one and turned out fine).

Note: There’s people with really awesome shags. You go there and you’ll think uko some leady surburb in Nrb. Well manicured gardens, stima, food, space, a place someone would pay good money for a weekend gateaway. Why suffer while you can take some time off and wait this pandemic out as you plan your next move?

wewe basi rudi ocha and start thinking kama mtu wa ocha. I came to nairobi after i cleared highschool with literally nothing but bus fare and I attribute everything that I have to this town. This town has a way of making somebody sharp, ambitious, focused and very very street savvy. Huwezi linganisha how a nairobian approaches issues na vile mtu wa ocha in sleepy Timboroa thinks. Ningebaki ocha most probably I would be a drunkard loitering around the nearest shopping centre borrowing money for chang’aa with 5 hungry kids at home. Nairobi inataka ujipange, right from the word go. That’s why the only the best of the best thrive here or even own property in town. The rest like u will start rationalizing how ocha is paradise.

Sio vita its just a discussion cuz, cool down! Fine! I am not saying everyone should go to shags, its not applicable to everyone! Remember, Everyone comes to the city to make money, but along the way we forget why we are here in the first place. Its money! Anything else is an expense, distraction that stagnates you at the same point until you finally burn out and realize you are going back like you came.

Lets say you stay in Nairobi for 4 years, learn the ropes, and get the beats-mode mentality Ocha will be paradise with minimal stress. You build your good house cheaply, grow your food cheaply and enjoy the green environment right from your compound. Assuming that you are not a billionaire, Nyinyi mnaenda Kamulu sijui ama Joska kutafuta a small piece of land halafu mukuje na Traffic ya Kangundo road

:D:D:D unaearn 1m per month na expense zake ni 2m. Stupid bonobo

Exactly! You are so right! you know, we need to start being smart, otherwise these small small towns will never grow into the Seattles, San Diegos, juu everyone wants to look like they are successful saa hizo you live like insects ikifika asubuhi mnatoka kwa mashimo tu hustle. Your car lives outside like a chokoraa in the streets ata alarm ikilia huezi skia wala kuona. My ideology has always been make your money and move! You find 60 year olds in traffic wanapishana na watoto, you are renting an apartment with Campus kids juu ulitoka ocha na fare? While your age mates are in Naivasha, Kericho, Nanyuki, Kitale owning ranches enjoying millions they saved in their 30s and 40s. Wewe uko stuck in your 3 bedroom mansionette or worse apartment in Langata you’ve been paying for 20 years…ati una nyumba Nrb?

My mantra has always been stay in an environment that supersedes your ability to be comfortable. Nairobi makes you uncomfortable, it makes you hungry, it makes you think like 10 ocha people put together, it makes you very inventive and innovative. Once you get your money you can always decide how to spend/invest it but that should not be equal na kurudi kuishi ocha before you at least 65.

Acha kufikria polepole boss. Did i say u should retire in the city? I said you should try and max out ALL your productive years in the city, right at the heart of capitalism, innovation and cutthroat competition. That’s how u get into a position of saving those fictional and delusional millions you are talking about. Hizo hutapata if 35 finds you in kitale - trust you me. You can retire on a beach house after that for all i care.

Look at what is paid in rent in Nairobi and what that or even less can get in other places unaskia uchungu.

Some very rich guys in Timboroa, my fren.

why are you mad though? Why are you getting upset?:D:D

This is a discussion don’t get emotional hakuna mtu atakutoa kwa nyumba yako Nairobi, unless ofcourse you dont pay rent.

Listen kid, if you are chasing money why are you so obsessed about finding it here? Is Nairobi the only place you can make it in life? This DJ has spent a year trying other options obviously, before deciding to move- Lets not judge. its not like clubs zilifungwa jana, its one year since the first corona case btw.

If Nairobi is a place that’ll straighten you up, or if i can use your words, “This town has a way of making somebody sharp, ambitious, focused and very very street savvy” then why not use these skills to make rational decisions? If you can think like 10 ocha men, why not go there and dorminate them cz clearly they have tiny minds. Why would you struggle to enjoy the pre-nut sensession while you’ve clearly come? You have lost your job, you are paying someone 30-50k for rent and more in other expenses depleting your savings because you want to be savvy and think like 10 ocha guys? :smiley: Juu you cant go to shags and cut costs until you are 65?
That shags is what made you who you are! FYI there’s people in this forum who live in shags na wamenyamaza and own alot of businesses in Nairobi, including rentals you live in, and are not 65!

If you are indeed street savvy and intelligent from living here you know nothing lasts forever.

Pia wewe unaongea ushenzi. Sasa ukiwa Kericho unaweza make 250k weekly kama DJ kweli. Naona you’re speaking from a point of privilege watu Wenye ocha kwao life is good na kumejengwa. Kuna watu wengine theyd rather live in slums juu wakirudi ushago the poverty is even worse.

O

Not really, i am just putting myself in the DJ’s shoes, not anyone else, i said earlier hapo juu, going back to shags when your things are not working out in Nairobi doesnt work for everyone.

We are still talking about the DJ right?

Financial matters boil down to personality. You make your own choice

1m taxfree to play music from a USB! Hio ni Kama mtu earning 1.5m or a business with sales za 1.2m… Only that dj is literally selling air…mahewa

So what is your point you stupid asshole

Ulikuwa unaishi na yeye ukajua alikuwa anaishi beyond his means.

Vaa leso utupe uhondo zaidi

Life is too short to lead uncomfortable one. Just the thought of sitting in traffic makes me hate that city

Bana at 50 ati pia you are trying to compete for lanes with matatus on traffic jam, or unaamka 4am ndio usipatane na jam. Let’s even not talk about noise and the stinking estates

Ocha kwetu Oyugis City there is only one wuod Luo who I admire.The guy has opened two very big and busy hardware shops,he runs three petrol stations called Nyang’inja Service Station as an independent dealer,has opened two 80 bed capacity hotels in the outskirts of the city and late last year opened a wholesale shop.All these at 52years of age.
Until I get out of the yoke of Total retail service station contract slavery and get to grow to the point of bringing phones into the country in container loads or by tonnage by air,count me out in the going back to Ocha bullchieth.
Will continue squeezing in Nairobi traffic even at 65years competing with matatus in traffic if that is what it takes to guarantee a more comfortable life elsewhere later.