Nairobi Railway Museum

That’s fast. I wonder what’s the hold up in our country yet a machine was brought to lay the steel.

28 indians … the other hundreds were africans
[ATTACH=full]7751[/ATTACH]

Yaani with the Japanese Maglev you can travel from Nairobi to Mombasa, take madafu, then return within minutes. And do the same in the afternoon. Those trains!

Isitoshe, they’re conducting R&D on a new, faster one expected to be deployed huko in the 2020s. Crazy speeds.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32391020

i like the Nairobi Railway Fb page … lots of info there. will visit it before sato
[ATTACH=full]7753[/ATTACH]

Saa hiyo we were wandering around hunting and gathering and with technology not far from that of monkeys. And all the time thinking the train was some sort of a snake.
Anybody wondering why the white man first thought we were sub-humman?

:D:D:DHilarious…But they were maneless lions tho’

sikupata mbisha nieka sketch

1 Like

sikupata mbisha nieka sketch

1 Like

That swamp that they drained…eh, where was it and how?

It’s that swamp that was flooding with rain water some weeks ago in the city. It’s the city.

1 Like

So its no wonder nairobi never drains and is visibly swampy in places that havent been built on. There are swamps all the way from Juja into the centre. In most of lower nairobi you cant dig two feet without encountering some impermeable rock. Thika road had to be excavated from some kind of rock.

taE=“nairobilay, post: 78510, member: 681”]@msalame grace these are the kind of mbichas i want to go and take
[/QUOTE]

These ones have been taken and posted here, wewe enda upige za SGR and post here.

T

There were no structures in the way of the planned railway route at the time, no farmers to be compensated, no power lines to be moved, no fencing of the railway line to keep away political uprooters like they are currently building in Mbotela, makongeni and Kibera. It was simply a matter of deciding where to lay the tracks mostly guided by the terrain and natural obstacles like hills and swamps.

me thinks hatuna excuse mingi. Na hiyo “America Transcontinental Railways”? Doesnt it mean we are some kind of jokers?

I have looked up that american stuff and the kind of effort, especially preliminary research and studies and it is an absolutely crazy amount of work. All the work was done with politics and having to purchase huge tracts of land.
Alafu ati hakukuwa na excavators or such machinery. so they literary dug trough mountains using shovel, pick, and wheelbarrow. Na punda saa ingine kuvuta mawe.

Americans have a reputation of doing their shit, no matter how challenging, in time though.

What do you mean there were no farmers…from the coast to kisumu there were the Swahili,mijikenda,taita,Kamba,Maasai,kikuyu,kisii,Nandi , luhya and Luo farmers all through the railway line…and they resisted the iron snake fiercely, looted, attacked and refused their people to work on the line…in fact they either had to be tricked or parcified…( that’s the colonial narrative that the land was empty)

Mind you nearly 80% of the land where the railway will pass is either government land, or following the existing railway way leave less than 20% is to be acquired and owners compensated

The SGR will not be passing through mbotela, makongeni,kibera et al…the main railway station will be somewhere in embakasi…haitakuja town like this KR one…power lines sijui umetoa wapi hio…let alone fencing the lunatic express had to be protected by the British all along the way ndio isikuwe uprooted by my ancestors to make ornaments and weapons

were inafaa You visit the railway museum ujionee

Come to think of it…it took months to bring iron from India and Europe to Kenya by steam ship…sahii it takes only a few days for a ship from China to Kenya bringing steel and what not…most raw materials zinapatikana hapa…with all the advantages of electricity , mechanisation what with bull dozers, lorries , compactors etc etc security, technological advancement in building, prior mapping and surveying of the proposed railway route, a big % of land is not buildup and is along the existing line except in major towns like Mombasa , voi, emali , machakos…I wonder how many years it will take ifike Malaba coz now Huko land is more settled

Ip