"Ngurario" and its meaning: Wasapere wakae wakijua.....

Eeh, actually, dowry is foremost amongst those that makes no sense.:cool:

Thankyou.You took the words right from my mouth.
Without culture and religion we turn into animals guided only by instinct.Sadly its already happening!

1 Like

These new traditions we are creating serve only the purpose of destroying the existing society.

Only because they are in their formative stages. Give them time, a coupla centuries perhaps.

All traditions, including FGM and early marriages, served some purpose no matter how repulsive they may seem to an outsider.For instance, FGM was meant to keep women calm as men went out in search of pasture for weeks or months. Imagine the chaos that would visit such communities if husbands came back to find their wives pregnant. On the other hand, the so called early marriages may not necessarily be early from the perspective of the time.

It’s okay if I have to pay but I don’t like it either.

We can`t survive a year of no cultural values never mind two centuries.
Culture is your identity and uniqueness as opposed to everyone else and if you loose that you are nothing.America is a classic case of how your culture and identity cannot be erased from any human.500 years of white Europeans and Black Africans trying to come up with a common understanding have failed and if anything,has left all the different cultures and races even more divided. If you want to see the effects of not having your culture to fall back upon,just look at the Black Americans,black British and Carribeans. 400 years since they left Africa they still yearn for an identity and they only find it by seeking their African heritage.

Do they serve the purpose today? External influences have become even stronger. Snatch a part of a lady’s essentials and expose her to modernity, she’ll get humped still. Tell her to not eat goat ribs, she can have them elsewhere. In as much as the practices kept order today they are seen as restricting ‘freedom’ that is a great song of modern times.

W

What culture do you speak of? Majority Kenyans

Bullshit man. So it justified the savagery as long as the women didn’t roam?

Wewe Kabuda, and how did those individual black and european cultural practices and traditions form in the first place if not influence of the environment?(which includes ‘outsiders’)?

Once an old man was telling me that his daughter was going out with a black guy and i asked him whether he approved. His answer makes alot of sense to me now .
He said that when we are young,we are liberal and are blind to our identities but as we grow older,our identities,cultures and values as individuals become very important to us.I didn`t get him then i put him down as having racist issues but it makes alot of sense now.

@Ka buda video iko blank.
@nyinyi critics: Mwacha mila ni mtumwa.

Rafiki you’re not getting the point, which is that culture is a mishmash of environmental influences. It will never remain as it was. It never has. What we call Kikuyu culture had various aspects of it imported from other cultures.