Nusu Mkate, a mirage?

As per article 134, in temporary incumbency the president still has the power to appoint or dismiss CSs and state officials.

4 Likes

Stop overthinking. Nobody wants Nusu mkateā€¦elections will be over, Uhuru finishes his term, Ruto begins his in 22

2 Likes

Read carefully again.

Exercise of presidential powers during temporary incumbency.

134. (1) A person who holds the office of President or who is authorised in terms of this Constitution to exercise the powers of the Presidentā€”

(a) during the period commencing on the date of the first vote in a presidential election, and ending when the newly elected President assumes office; or

(b) while the President is absent or incapacitated, or at other times contemplated in Article 147 (3),

may not exercise the powers of the President specified in clause (2).

(2) The powers referred to in clause (1) areā€”

(a) the nomination or appointment of the judges of the superior courts;

(b) the nomination or appointment of any other public officer whom this Constitution or legislation requires the President to appoint;

(c) the nomination or appointment or dismissal of Cabinet Secretaries and other State or Public officers;

(d) the nomination or appointment or dismissal of a high commissioner, ambassador, or diplomatic or consular representative;

(e) the power of mercy; and

(f) the authority to confer honours in the name of the people and the Republic.

2 Likes

That means temporary incumbency is between the voting day and inauguration/swearing in. So until such a time when the election is held and the winner is sworn in the current president is still a full executive president. This means that until we hold the presidential election, the temporary incumbency shall not arise neither will a coalition/caretaker government unless we change constitution through a referendum.

3 Likes

Elections have already been held and nullified as a result of which the date he was to be sworn is well past. As it is Uhuru is serving under temporary incumbency until elections are held and finally a president is sworn to office, that is when temporary incumbency will come to an end. Nusu mkate is not mentioned anywhere in the constitution unless there is a crisis and all parties agree to a political solution.

Read 134 (1) (a) of what you posted earlier-when a temporary incumbency commences and when it endsā€¦

1 Like

Exercise of presidential powers during temporary incumbency.

134. (1) A person who holds the office of President or who is authorised in terms of this Constitution to exercise the powers of the Presidentā€”

(a) during the period commencing on the date of the first vote in a presidential election, and ending when the newly elected President assumes office; or

(b) while the President is absent or incapacitated, or at other times contemplated in Article 147 (3),

Date of first vote was on 8th August assumption of office will depend on 17th October. Right?

My friend , August 8th election was declared null and void so technically no election took place for the 5th President of the republic of Kenya

2 Likes

You my friend cannot read written words, I rest my case.

Perfect explanation @Fisi.

That was declared null and void.

Only problem with that is jeshi iki unleashiwa it wount matter whether u jubilee or NASA.watafagia sisi wote.
Lets just pray raila akubali yaishe.besides he has other opposition members who can push his agenda.

I during the period commencing on the date of the first vote in a presidential electionā€¦[/I]
why did the constitution drafters include ā€˜date of the first voteā€™? I think they foresaw a situation where a presidential election gets nullified and hence the phrase, ā€˜date of the first voteā€™ would mean 8th August 2017 in this case.
In a rather funny way, the same constitution gives back the powers it seemed to take away from the president during the temporary incumbency period by saying in article 134(1) that he ā€˜might notā€™ wield the six (6) powers listed in article 134(2).
In short, UK amekalia kiti sawa sawa.
Lastly, TMTWNEEEEEEBPORK

Maraga ni mkora. how do u explain them not checking the evidence (election materials) deposited in court by IEBC as required by law? is it laziness or a donā€™t care attitude?
How comes he found illegalities and irregularities and found no one culpable?

1 Like

I would subscribe to the submissions made by the AG during the petition where he is of the opinion that the court ought to interpret the constitution as it is worded and only where there is ambiguity then it should seek the spirit of the constitution. In this case we have clearly written expression of the constitution yet some are introducing ambiguity so as to go seeking the spirit that is not of the constitution.

I did read it ā€˜carefullyā€™ā€¦key word is MAY notā€¦MUST/SHALL not would be the term to strip off these powers and make it illegal for the president to perform those duties.

1 Like

Hawk eyed! You caught me on that one.

1 Like