Nyamgondho guide to buying a TV: Connectivity.

Trust me, it is. I don’t need to get technical but you can learn more on channels like RTings, HDTV Test, and FOMO on Tech. Those guys will educate you well.

Get technical, i need to learn too, naona iyo price ikishindana na price ya brands

[ATTACH=full]282080[/ATTACH]
If I get this one for 35k naiweka ocha.Cant wast money on tv

Great post. Yangu bora ishike inoro, hizo zingine hapana takajua

You won’t get this model in Kenya.

TVs are not just panels with as many pixels as possible and connectivity ports here and there. There are significant differences.

First, there is colour reproduction. Right now, the best panel for colour range is OLED, no question. They don’t depend on the backlight and have infinite contrast. Hence, colours have a depth to them. QLed comes close, but this is just an LCD with several local dimming zones. However, Hisense and TCL are bringing miniLED and dual cell technology on LCD to try to match OLED. All these advanced features are likely to be found on TVs starting at around $1200. But you can also find TVs with local dimming feature at a cheaper price.

Second, the hardware used to process images varies significantly. For example, you cannot compare a smartphone with SD855 to SD710 or SD650. In TVs, it is a similar approach. That is the reason OLED produced by LG will look significantly better on Panasonic and Sony compared to LG’s own TVs. Hardware is not just about HDMI ports or wifi etc. It’s also the processing engine. Moreover, features such as low latency, software support, HDMI 2.1 etc, comes at a price.

The quality of the materials used is also a noteworthy determinant of price. For example, TCLs and Hisense are likely to exhibit the “dirty screen” effect compared to Samsungs and LGs due to quality. But many average consumers might not even notice it. This is about uniformity. Companies such as Samsung, Sony, and LG are known for uniformity compared to TCLs and others.

There are many features we can point out, but in the meantime, some of the best budget 4K TVs (sold in Kenya, not internationally) include Samsung RU7100 55’’ (RU7100 ni model ya last year, 7300 ni curved archaic tv) na LG UM7340. Most of the other offerings in this range are under-specced.

mimi nilinunua Bruhm 55Inc curved, 4k. I am regretting. that thing can not download Netflix and stopped updating simple apps like youtube now cant stream it. I had to buy a firestick to access those apps

Samsung is still manufacturing curved TVs though may not be available locally. Nowadays manufacturers refresh their Kenyan TV models every year. Its getting harder to find a 3 year old TV in kenya for brands that have an official distribution channel and offer a warranty. This Includes akina Hisense, synix and TCL. However the specs will remain low due to obvious reasons. In fact by mid june most TVs will be 2020 models but with low specs.

People were mad last year when oneplus announced it would provide 3-years update to it’s android TV. Everybody knows people take more than 5 years before they can upgrade their TVs. So OEMs should support TVs for more than 5 years. TVs are not phones ati utanunua mpya every 2 years.

Once your TV stops receiving updates you can kiss goodbye to Netflix, PrimeTV etc. The likes of Bruhm, Konka, Vision etc cannot afford to update their TVs to the latest OS. Pia TV processors and ram capacity is so tiny that it would be a headache to tweak. Maybe the future is dongles like TIVO, firestick and roku. I am okay with that arrangement but they should give us an awesome panel and good connectivity. Unless you’re buying expensive TVs, smart tv is a hoax. Hata haiezi update. My firestick 4k updates regularly and is so cheap I can’t even remember the price.

Great informative post

If it does labda chini ya maji for people who still think curved TVs are still a trend.

One thing I like about Samsung is that it doesn’t severely under-specc TVs meant for African market like other brands. Though cost still remains high. 4K TV za 70k Kenya ni vitu za 40k-50 in Europe and North America.

Hii Lg ni how much?Samsung is a no to me.

Hizi akina hisense na tcl ukienda Kwa Duka uzione side by side and compare to akina Samsung na sony huwa ziko chonjo
Any technology which improves hizi TV and is cheaper is welcomed

LG walianza kutumia led na screens zao zikawa cheaper and clearer, wacha tungoje microled.Oled is pricy

Mimi Bora TV iko clear na iko na android na 4k iko sawa.

Izo zingine ni kisungu mingi na Kwa grao vitu ni different

[U][B]here[/B][/U], but if you need Samsung for deeper blacks (VA panel, LG uses IPS), get [U]RU7100[/U]. They are costly in Kenya by around 25-30k compared to international prices. [U][B]Sony KD-55X7000G[/B][/U] is also not bad, but it uses Linux OS which really sucks (in my experience), and it’s extremely overpriced for what you get compared to others. Kwa hio bei I don’t see any other brand matching the specs by Samsung or Lg hapa Kenya

Comparison kwa supermarket or street is not that objective, signal hukua crap na hautajua kwa 4k which is best. Alafu settings pia ukua altered kiasi (especially motion smoothing, which you should disable by the way) to give the best impression. Pia ni poa ku compare TVs in similar category.

Yes IPS Ile iPhone hutumia, asanta Kwa correction, Acha nibaki Kwa TCL ana hisense, hii ingine ni kisungu mingi

Unaeza suggest a model yenye ina match specs za hizo TVs tujue. There are many sellers in Kenya, uezi jua who has which model.
The ones I suggested ziko na WiFi ac, bluetooth 5.0, HDMI 2.0 with arc, gaming refresh rate ya 11ms (samsung) na around 13ms(lg), na HDMI CEC… Including good picture quality. But I wish Hisense na TCL could bring what they offer in the US to Kenya, kama H8F na Series 6 (Fully specced).

The TCL 43P8. I have been matching its performance with even Samsung QLEDs or LG OLEDs, iko sawa. And still locally available at a bargain price.

Hapo umenoa. Movies are shoot at the ultimate level 4K, 5K, 6K or 8K RAW 4:4:4 uncompressed, lossless capture.

An ordinary movie can run as much as 700 Tb of raw data or much much more if because of VFX.

In short, films are shot at the very complete uncompressed full format such that after editing you remain with compressed good viewable shit.

You cannot turn compressed shit upwards into good shit. It doesn’t work like that.
It’s shit in, shit out. You cannot turn footage that was captured as 2K into stunning 4K.

You shoot badly using bad cameras, too bad too late. You can’t sweeten a bad image.

Hapa una exaggerate maze , ata OLED? I suggest utafute OLED ucheck. Hii TV haijalist specs poa in all places nimecheck, what is the WiFi standard? Bluetooth version? HDMI ni version gani? a link would be nice. Alafu nimeona complains mingi sana [B]hapa[/B], indian customers wanadai it has very poor picture quality, especially 4K. Na ni verified customers.

Yeah, good tech but overpriced.

Oh please @patco… still challenging The Nyamgondho in the technology section? I am not ready to go into a useless tirade with you on this. But I’ll respond for the sake of those that might be wondering if what you say is true.

But you’re right most 2018-2019 blockbusters were shot in 4, 6 and 8K but 90% of them were scaled down to 2k for editing, colour correction with the final master film being upscaled to 4K. And that was my point the final film has to be upscaled from 2k to 4k. Lakini if you venture into blockbusters from 2016 and below utashangaa… Mad Max Fury road…well that was shot in 2k and edited in 2k. Google just google Patco.

Most of Aquaman was shot at 3.4K on Arri cameras. Spider-man: Far from home (2019) was shot in 3.4K Arri Cameras both were given 2k digital intermediate(DI). How do I know? Read aquaman and spidermans technical specifications on IMDB. Just google “aquaman technical specifications” and look for the IMDB link. Do that for any movie you enjoyed. I think

Most blockbusters even if they were shot at 6.5K are downscaled to 2K for editing. Let me give you examples of the top 3 blockbusters (2019) on IMDB

1. Avengers endgame (2019).
    Shot at 6.5k…downscaled to 2K (master format) for editing purposes.

2. Lion King (2019)
    Shot at 6.5K…downscaled to 2K (master format) for editing purposes.

3. Starwars: rise of Skywalker shot and edited in 4k. (A very rare exception) same case with Black Panther (2018) edited in 4k- a rare exception.

Budget hollywood movies are mostly shot in 2.8k. Most 2017 blockbusters were shot in 2.8K and very few in 4K.

Did you enjoy pirates of the Caribbean 2017, Fast and furious 8, Pirates of the Caribbean 2017. Well here is the news…none of them was shot above 3.4 K.

Most of the movies lack a big budget are essentially shot in 2K to 3.4K.

So how then do we get these movies in 4K, if they were shot in 2K or 3K? How comes aquaman was shot in 3.4K yet was distributed in 4K. How?

How come most 2017 blockbusters were shot in less than 3.4k yet were distributed in 4k? How?

Just How?

Why are those movies not shit??

Well, dont listen to me… listen to the experts.