R.I.P. Nairobi Leafy Suburbs

Could someone please explain the logic behind this rezoning for high rises rather than encouraging spreading out?

You’ve nailed it

I think to encourage people working and living in the same locality. Inapunguza commuting and also encourages efficient land use.

I hope this works or else we’ll still be working in town and westi. I think they’ll still build residentials and then price them at 42 million for "2 bedroom French-style apartment located in the plush bla bla bla… "

Hata Monaco have flats but it’s a desirable place … shida ya Wakenya ni no planning of playing grounds , sewerage and roads and architects have zero class … choo na kitchen na living room zimeshikanishwa ati open planning … Mpishi akilia kitunguu , wageni pia wanalia … mtoto akinyamba kwa choo :smiley: … price 12 million :eek:

It all depends with the nature and location of your hustle. Some people just have to live closer to the CBD

There hundreds of acres in Kibera that could house half of the city in 40-50 floor apartment like in China.

Let the leafy suburbs remain or we’ll all move to Kiambu.

Most of the land in those areas used to be government land but with the allocation frenzy during nyayo’s time with the politically correct Commissioner of Lands all this properties were allocated to individuals without resources to develop them or maintain the status of the zones as a result they were sold to third parties who took the risk to develop and sell very quickly before the law caught up with the irregular allocations. Currently the National Land Commission is now revoking titles all over the place and the revocations are affecting some of these developments.

Also the high land prices in the leafy suburbs means the apartments will out-cost an ordinary Mwananchi. So the areas will remain leafy suburbs just with fewer single family home dwellings. Certain things also make sense. From old British colonialist designs. You have a home sitting on a half-acre to one acre lot on average built on the days of abundant land. But do you really need a half acres? The residents rarely venture outside the building into their yards, except for once or twice a year. Investors will buy out most of these dwellings until they cant recoup their investment by selling highrises.