Racism and Prejudice for African Immigrants in US Employment

Wako wengi hao on government scholarships and are all on study leave hence a guaranteed a job on return. Lakini siwezi kataa kuosha hutwo tunyanye given a chance baba :D:D:D. 15k per day sio pesa ndogo unaweza kuchota kaploti na kufloss Dec vacations Kenya :D:D

Perfect. Don’t forget that when submitting your medical school application, it’s a whole package. It takes time and effort to look great on paper and stand out. There’s an interview as well, but first things first. This upcoming summer you should definitely check out summer research internships. Admissions officers get a hard-on when they see this on your file. Even better if the research leads to a first author publication.

You gotta ace the MCAT, at least a 30 and above. Volunteering is also key, even better if you spent time at a resource poor facility like a public Kenyan hospital. Use that experience when formulating your essay…

If you want more tips, kuja inbox.

Dude, you’re golden!!

I dont know, i was checking the US bureau of labour statistics website and they say otherwise

Serious loser mentality going on in this thread. Poleni

One thing people neglect when talking about education in the US is how expensive it is. If you are good in IT utalipwa hiyo 100k at a fraction of the cost ya hizo healthcare courses.

Ubaya ya IT courses is that work can be easily outsourced to akina India or Pakistan where people are willing to work for peanuts. Health degrees are expensive but there are scholarships and federal grants available. The repayment plans are favorable as well…

IT is perfect. I advice anyone settling in the US to either go into healthcare or IT. They only outsource a fraction of the work. Many things cannot be done outside the country. The quickest way to good money is IT. A couple of certs and a little experience you are off to a good path. Healthcare takes quite a few years of training but the end is good.

Not true. You build yourself as the best professional you can be. Lots of opportunities open up for you. The US is an equalizing country. True there is discrimination, but you have way more opportunities than Kenya. Its not even worth comparing, different scales. Of my friends who took it serious from they day they landed, no one is near eating crumbs. Middle class lifestyle and above.

Cool. Ebu nichanue on IT certs. Which ones are good, how long does it take na salo ni ngapi?

Yes but will you get your money back. If I spend 80K on a state school to graduate as a nurse, for example. I start even with 40K a year. Within 5 years I am at 80K. Look at the return on my investment. And I can work until I am 75. So many aged nurses still for hire. In IT, above 60 you cant be a technocrat.

The IT field is wide: security, databases, commerce, networks, etc. You have to go into a specific field. Everytime I asked someone, they told me start by being a front end developer, eg someone who builds and maintains websites. So a friend of mine started about 12 years ago at $15/hr with a couple of months of java, javascript and bootstrap? And quickly advanced to way past that $100k. But he is a techie. Eats sleeps computers. There are some Indian companies that you pay that give you bootcamps on eg python. You become a “developer” within 5-6 months with mandatory training everyday for 8-10 hours. And they help you get a job although they require you to move. But their tactics are unorthodox. On top of charging you an arm and a leg which they deduct from your pay. Also software bootcamps are a way to go. They charge +10K though . But they have networks to get you your first job. Which is a huge problem if you do not have experience.
In databases, I saw one guy said learn Tableau and SQL and that is a quick 50K job. And I do believe what he was saying coz we did look it up on indeed and there were positions coming up.

Hizo companies ni gani? My degree haina form…

osheni tushosh bila kusumbua

How are you my friend? It seems you’re struggling. While you were away, we were told “back in the states” if you earn below US$ 120K per annum you’re barely surviving. How long before the 80k nurse jumps to the middle income status?

I have been great. I am actually on here just busy so I browse and don t have time to comment. Just too tired. But to answer your question about income, it depends on your location and also who you ask. 120K in San Fransicsco you will be poor, next to homeless. But in most cities, that is a lot of money. In fact 60K is very good if you are single. If you have a family, you want to make at least 70K and the wife to contribute 40K. That makes for a comfortable living for a family of 4 or 5. Comfortable, not rich. With such an income, you try and live in mid tier cities eg Phoenix, Kansas City, Austin, Atlanta, etc. @Purple perception of income is skewed because she grosses $350K per year. And she is(was) single. Purchasing plots in Kitisuru. So to her, $150K is little.
To put these numbers in perspective, I used to make $20K a year, single, no kids. I was comfortable. I got by ok. When my income jumped to $30K, I was balling. I had so much money, didnt know what to do.
The median household income in the US is about 60K. This is household, meaning man + wife. So a nurse at $80K is doing exceptionally well. Already in middle class.

Simiyu, yes the median household income is approx $50-60k but you agree with me that it’s living paycheck to paycheck. You also agree with me that if you have a family of 4-5 you wanna make approx that ~120k (70+40) lol. And when were you earning that $30k? Ten years ago? Be honest, that’s a msufferer salo even if you’re living in the south. :smiley:
I also don’t gross $350k pls…might be more or less

Okay. Here in kenya were barely eking out a living. From MPs, IGs, pilots, doctors and CEOs of parastatals we’re all below the middle income cut off salary of USD10k per month. Maisha ngumu.

Advice on one related to accounting. I have a full 3 months leave later this year that I can utilize to go to class and improve on my skills.

Heres a couple I just pulled from craigs. There are many more. Just google. Be careful, they are very unorthodox eg, you loose 1/3 of your pay for a couple of years.

Java Certification Programming Training & Job Placement in Austin

https://austin.craigslist.org/sof/d/ba-qabusiness-analyst-quality-analyst/6800640514.html
https://austin.craigslist.org/sad/d/vienna-it-training-and-career/6782571353.html