Range Rovers, Jaguars Are Dirt Cheap Once Used

Jaribu Volvo then utajua resale ni noma.

It depends on the usage of first owner in Kenya and why he is selling

The truth is, you MUST take a big hit if you are the first local owner of a vehicle. The only way to dodge that is to never buy a “new” vehicle and be the second or third local owner. Hapo sasa you can confidently talk about resale value.

A guy who buys a used ,2010/11 premio for 850k will not take a hit akikaa nayo auze 2022.

Watu wa kudanganywa eti ‘chukua toyota NYOKA, haizeeki’!!

No one wins with a used car, it is about what your pocket can afford. The Japanese would not be exporting used cars if they were good.

For me gari ni tool. I believe in “choosing” not “picking” a car from online import list. And it’s a long term relationship. Hiyo gari sitauza lazima niikamue kukamua and keep it in good shape, sio kubadilisha miaka mbili mbili. Current jalopy is in 12th year local use mwenyewe. Anyway to each his own…

I have been considering CX5 diesel for a while. It is cheaper than petrol by around 200k foreign used. Does it have any major issue. It is more efficient and more powerful yet still slightly cheaper. Why?

I have used for 1 year and not seen any problem. When new the diesel Cx5 is more expensive than the petrol model. Used car price may be demand driven. But avoid high mileage, over 100k.

is it a crime to buy a new car in Kenya. Why are 99% of cars on roads in kenya mitumba. na bado tunajidai ati kenya ni midno income

It’s because of Mr. Tax Man. Cars are half as cheap in the most countries like U.S, Europe and Japan.
However, you’re likely to pay twice or even thrice the amount a Jungu is paying for a new car abroad.

Take for instance, a new Mazda CX5 with 0 mileage would cost $25000 after tax in Japan and Most Western countries but if you import it to Kenya, it would cost you $40,000 to $50,000.

Also, Kenya doesn’t have a good credit system. Hii ya huku ni jokes.

I think the tax is so high in Kenya because of limited road network. Imagine how Nairobi would be if we could be used car at Japan rates.

Thanks for the heads up. What problem would I likely experience with the higher mileage diesel CX5? Knowing the possibility of a lot being clocked.

Just the rule of thumb when buying any used car. I have not seen any major issues.
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/any-high-mileage-cx-5-a-41054/

Just note that 100k miles = 160k km. Cars in the UK, North America have their odometers in miles, not km.

Taxes. Our policies are “pay taxes get a new car free.” If you buy a new car in kenya you will not get value for your money.

For Japan 100,000 Km. Japanese use Km. Cars over 100,000km in Japan most likely have lower auction grade and cheaper.

Saw a Benz a while back E200/maybe…KB something… The engine was so loud and seemed to be struggling… Even the driver seemed embarrassed.

From uk and Australian forums, the cx5 diesel seems to have issues esp with the engine. Guys were claiming that after around 100k kms the engine can shut down abruptly and the only remedy was an engine overhaul. The petrol one seems to have a clean bill of health. However, the cx5 diesel is much more powerful compared to petrol one. @coolkip have you heard of such issues with the diesel engine, what was the mileage of your car when you got it?

I imported mine at 85k, now at 96k. I also read the Australian reviews and saw those reported engine seizures but they are not common. Infact Cx5 diesel was the most popular in Australia before they introduced 2.5 turbo petrol. In Japan Auctions you see lots of 6 year old cx5 diesel with 300k miles being sold. Some car problems are also country specific. The only reported problem in Japan is oil rising in Cx5 diesel but was fixed with a recall.
Buy what you are willing to risk.

Where were you browsing this?